Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 10:16 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
The speed of your virtual guy is based on the w/kg you put out. On a non smart trainer it uses your power meter, or if you don't have one, it estimates power from a speed sensor. So on a hill, two riders will go the same speed if they are doing the same w/kg, but the rider on the smart trainer gets the resistance feedback and the rider on the dumb trainer just has to pedal harder.

There are various ways to intentionally cheat (as simple as saying you weigh less than you really do) or unintentionally have an advantage (the estimated w/kg can be way off), which means that it's only fun if you don't take it all too seriously.

so the weight doped rider can really kick some ass?
Old 11-14-15, 11:30 AM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
so the weight doped rider can really kick some ass?
Happens every day. Somebody will have their trainer resistance off, their weight set way low, or have some other "unintentional" issue, and they'll be riding around at 7-8w/kg for an hour.

There are a lot less now that beta has ended, which means the ones with "issues" can be dealt with more effectively. They're still out there, though. You just ignore them and do whatever it is you want to do.

That said, Aki is still a damn virtual doper.
Old 11-14-15, 01:16 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm mostly avoiding the Zwift races during base, but I did a lot of them last spring and a few in summer. They feel more like real races than any other online thing.
Old 11-14-15, 01:32 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally slipped under 12 seconds (11.89) on the reverse sprint during a solo effort. Then my calves exploded all over my trainer. That hurt.
Old 11-14-15, 01:41 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I think it sounds like a great way to make indoor riding a lot less tedious. Once I finally get around to getting a powermeter (probably building a powertap wheel), I'm going to give it a try (I use rollers indoors). Probably would be cheaper just to buy a popular "dumb" trainer, but I like the rollers and would eventually like to be smart about training more methodically, so a powermeter would be good for that long term. I had been thinking about getting a used wired powertap hub now that they can be had so cheap, but then Zwift came out, and I'm back to wanting something that's Ant+.

Old 11-14-15, 05:07 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@shovelhd This looks like a perfect adjunct to compliment your winter outdoor riding and I suspect over time it will get better.

I have a dongle and speed sensor and etc. I may give it a try.
Old 11-14-15, 05:31 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Being able to talk to each other with a headset would make zwift pretty awesome.
Old 11-14-15, 06:57 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike
That said, Aki is still a damn virtual doper.
My trainer is leaking. Last few sprints were way off. I'm avoiding sprints because power just pegs at 1200w while I'm seeing 1000-1100 on the SRM. Leaking doesn't mean no resistance, just less resistance.

Anyway right now if I ride it's not right.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-14-15, 07:00 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Being able to talk to each other with a headset would make zwift pretty awesome.
Team Speak 3. There's a tutorial somewhere on FB on setting it up, it's a YouTube video by our Domestique.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-14-15, 07:00 PM
carpediemracing 

I can't hang with the Cs in the "social rides", forget about the races.
Old 11-14-15, 08:48 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
My trainer is leaking. Last few sprints were way off. I'm avoiding sprints because power just pegs at 1200w while I'm seeing 1000-1100 on the SRM. Leaking doesn't mean no resistance, just less resistance.

Anyway right now if I ride it's not right.
Are you having an issue with the SRM reading waaaaayyyy too high initially? A buddy of mine has that issue for the first 15 minutes or so of every ride before it settles down. I haven't tried mine yet on Zwift, and just use the Quarqs. The SRM is on the TT bike, and I've been riding it on a running track in a inflatable dome. They open it up to bikes a couple hours on Sunday mornings, and a few of us have been doing TT training in there recently. Nice change of pace from the trainer, and it's the most time I've spent on that bike in years.

Your peak power and short duration w/kg is much higher than mine, so leaking trainer or not, you still have me beat.

I'm going to put my aluminum bike on the trainer tonight to see if it's any faster on Zwift than the carbon bike I've been using. I figure my aerodynamic position is different on it in relation to my fan, so that should be worth a few hundred watts at threshold. At least.
Old 11-15-15, 05:53 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding Zwift since around May this year using a Wahoo Kickr and it is a fairly good jigger. The concept of 'virtual' races, etc makes it very enjoyable and with the new workouts, you have the ability to JRA, ride specific workouts, or join in on some very competitivie races. Like everything in the internet world, it can be cheated, but for those who wish to use it as either a training or recreational tool (or both) it can have benefits.

I'll wait until Winter 2016 to subscribe, but will do so, as it is worthwhile and good fun.

cheers
Old 11-15-15, 08:56 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was figuring that there would be a shift from southern hemisphere flags to northern hemisphere flags as the seasons changed. I'm probably going to suspend my subscription in March or April once I can ride and race outside again.
Old 11-16-15, 10:03 PM
carpediemracing 

Are you having an issue with the SRM reading waaaaayyyy too high initially? A buddy of mine has that issue for the first 15 minutes or so of every ride before it settles down. I haven't tried mine yet on Zwift, and just use the Quarqs.
I use the SRM as reference (it's wired so doesn't register with Ant+/Zwift). However, as a reference, it's not useful because the spider battery is dying, so the wattages are all over the place.

Thinking of getting a noisier trainer, mag or something, so I don't have to deal with the fluid. Or a leakless Kinetic fluid resistance unit.
Old 11-16-15, 10:12 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I have 1 more ride in my trial period.. the I get automatic 2 months (premium strava) Really wish I could choose the months but they kickin right away after the trial ends.
Old 11-16-15, 10:13 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
kinetic +1000
Old 11-16-15, 10:58 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking of getting a noisier trainer, mag or something, so I don't have to deal with the fluid. Or a leakless Kinetic fluid resistance unit.
If you want noisy, might I suggest a LeMond Revolution? Mine is jet engine loud during sprints, but has great "road feel" and will never leak. That's a trade-off I'm more than willing to make. After 5 years of heavy use, mine is still going strong. Plus, I can't hear the kids screaming at each other...
Old 11-17-15, 04:45 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The 1-up trainer is fairly quiet.
Old 11-17-15, 07:03 AM
carpediemracing 

If you want noisy, might I suggest a LeMond Revolution? Mine is jet engine loud during sprints, but has great "road feel" and will never leak. That's a trade-off I'm more than willing to make. After 5 years of heavy use, mine is still going strong. Plus, I can't hear the kids screaming at each other...
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
The 1-up trainer is fairly quiet.
Thanks. I don't mind noise but my budget is non-existent. I did find a semi-local used 1Up, seeing if it's available.

A direct drive would be the dream, and a smart direct drive that tilts left/right would be the ultimate. Perhaps in my next life stage/career.
Old 11-17-15, 08:31 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Rock and Roll for a while I have been enticed by the Kickr for both direct drive and the smart trainer aspect: I just can't give up the beautiful feel of the movement on the Rock and Roll. Now if someone would just mix these things together me and CDR would be in heaven (If not maybe in the poor house)
Old 11-17-15, 09:34 AM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a first generation Rock and Roll and hated it. The movement was jerky as the rubber flexed and despite numerous attempts to fix it, it never got much better. The resistance unit made it feel like I was riding a 'cross bike through mud, without the fun. I went through a lot of trainers before I found the LeMond. While great strides have been made with flywheels and other tweaks, there really isn't another trainer that feels the same. I'm sure everyone is telling me the same thing, but I can't hear them anymore.

DC Rainmaker's trainer suggestions are always a solid place to start.
Old 11-17-15, 10:18 AM
carpediemracing 

@dz_nuzz I know that someone adapted one of the smart direct drive trainers to a rocking stand. They have a commercial set up (multiple trainers in a room, organized rides, etc). I think it was in the Zwift FB page but I have no idea about it other than the trainers were blue I think.
Old 11-17-15, 10:30 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Thanks. I don't mind noise but my budget is non-existent. I did find a semi-local used 1Up, seeing if it's available.

A direct drive would be the dream, and a smart direct drive that tilts left/right would be the ultimate. Perhaps in my next life stage/career.
If you're going to sell Caddies you need to do it in Jersey.

Old 11-17-15, 10:32 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the SRM as reference (it's wired so doesn't register with Ant+/Zwift). However, as a reference, it's not useful because the spider battery is dying, so the wattages are all over the place.

I have an original, grey, leak free KK with the upgraded tension screw that I won't be using anymore. I was saving it for race warmups but I am no longer racing. I got it cheap, so you can have it cheap.
Old 11-17-15, 01:58 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
If you're going to sell Caddies you need to do it in Jersey.
One of the guys at work asked me if I had any coffee. I looked up at him.

"Coffee is for closers."*

I guess you had to be there.

*Glengary Glen Ross. Aka Caddies, Steak Knives, and probably other things I didn't know about until I watched it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.