Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

mountain bike for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

mountain bike for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 06:56 PM
hedgeapple

Bikes: (1)Raleigh Gran Prix, bought new 28 Dec '72 from Southeast Cycles on Pennsylvania Ave in Washington, DC; 2) '06 Specialized Rockhopper; 3) steel Raleigh SC30 of indeterminate age, drop bars, all-road tourer/commuter; 4) '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen Berto's charts before and I use them. Note that he includes tire widths, but nothing is said about wheel diameter. I'm assuming he's working with a 700C (622) wheel, making the chart inapplicable to any other wheel diameter. Volume calculations have to account not only for tire width but for wheel circumference, too, which is greater for a 622 than for a 584 or 559. My calculations do account for circumference; I'm sure they are still crude, but consistently so.
About my atmospheric example: It ignores temparature. Since temps, which go up with compression and down with elevation (in the troposphere), and geographic displacement of atmosphere (ie, mountains) are part of reality, I think the 500mb level probably defines something less than half our air, but I don't wanna argue about it.

Last edited by hedgeapple; 06-14-13 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-14-13, 07:09 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I like the idea of an mtb to touring bike conversion and I have a vintage specialized stumpy comp that I'm thinking of converting. One thing to be aware of is that the chainstays may (or may not) be a problem. Better than 17 inches is good for heel clearance and most mtbs don't have that (even older rigid ones). There are other ways of taking care of this problem (some racks allow you to move the panniers a bit farther back) but it is something to be aware of. It's not an issue obviously if you are using a trailer but I prefer panniers. The trekking bars look good; drops shouldn't be too tough a conversion esp. if you run friction bar ends which are available from rivendell or velo-orange.
A question; would you lean towards traditional drop bars (Dream, Rando, etc.) or dirt drops (Woodchipper, Midge, BB-1)? Personally, I would choose traditional... mainly for the uniform width at the hoods.
Old 06-14-13, 07:16 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
A question; would you lean towards traditional drop bars (Dream, Rando, etc.) or dirt drops (Woodchipper, Midge, BB-1)? Personally, I would choose traditional... mainly for the uniform width at the hoods.
I'm leaning towards the trekking bars just because I've never tried them before. It will also be less expensive since I would need a nitto technomic stem or something similar for drop bars. If drops, I'd be tempted to go with randonneur style bars since the upsweeps on the flats are useful on a mtb conversion.
Old 06-14-13, 07:35 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hedgeapple
nothing is said about wheel diameter.
My formulas estimate that pressure should go down as the square root of the wheel diameter.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions gives a circumference of 2075 for a 50-559 and 2280 for a 50-622. So the 622 should have about 5% less pressure than the 559.
Old 06-15-13, 03:30 PM
hedgeapple

Bikes: (1)Raleigh Gran Prix, bought new 28 Dec '72 from Southeast Cycles on Pennsylvania Ave in Washington, DC; 2) '06 Specialized Rockhopper; 3) steel Raleigh SC30 of indeterminate age, drop bars, all-road tourer/commuter; 4) '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions - that's an interesting site, I'm gonna have to spend some time there.

My calculations use a circumference that is really the estimated mid-point of the tire's cross-section. Reasoning: 1) I'm figuring volume, 2) tire curvature around the rim would yield greater volume to the outside of that mid-point, which I assume would be mostly compensated for by 3) lesser volume to the inside of that mid-point. What I do is add two times 50% of the tire's cross-section (for a 50mm tire, that would be 2x25, or 50mm) to the rim's diameter (in this case, 559, for a total of 609) (I'm sure you've already noted the simple way to do this is just add the tire's width to the rim diameter). Considering the resulting circumference (609x3.1416=@1913.2) as a cylinder length, I multiply it by the tube's cross-sectional area (for a 50mm tube, 25x25x3.1416=1965.5) to get a volume (3756568.2 cubic mm). I used the same process to figure volumes for the other tires. I did not account for tube wall thickness, and I'm assuming the given width is an internal dimension and that the interior is round, unless I'm in the saddle. That would mean compression.

Regarding drop bars: mine are conventional, and their one short-coming I've found is that the bike is harder to control in soft stuff. The WTB mountain drop bar formerly used on Raleigh's Sojourn would help, but I don't have one and I'm getting by without it.

I should mention that the SC30, compared to the Rockhopper, has 1/2 inch less BB height, 10mm longer chainstays (435mm, and I'd like another inch), and noticeably less front-center.

I rode the SC30 about 27 miles this morning, on grass, dirt track, gravel, sand, highway and city street. The bike works very well.

Last edited by hedgeapple; 06-15-13 at 03:36 PM. Reason: content
Old 06-15-13, 05:06 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My calculations use a circumference that is really the estimated mid-point of the tire's cross-section. Reasoning: 1) I'm figuring volume, 2) tire curvature around the rim would yield greater volume to the outside of that mid-point, which I assume would be mostly compensated for by 3) lesser volume to the inside of that mid-point.
Wikipedia says your volume computation is exactly correct!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torus

I use the outside diameter because I am looking at the area of the contact patch as a function of the tire drop. All the action is at the outermost circumference of the torus.
Old 06-15-13, 05:24 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
It's been over four years since I started this thread...Here's what I've learned regarding mountain bikes and touring:

1. For frames and forks, I prefer steel. All else equal, it seems to ride and respond better than aluminum.
2. I prefer a rigid fork. They're simpler, lighter, and carry a load easier. Suspension forks may ride better, but I don't miss mine.
3. I prefer drop bars. They make it easier for me to apply power to the pedals, and they allow me to get low in a Kansas headwind.
4. I like my Rockhopper's trigger shifters. They are cheap, reliable, and durable, and easy to coordinate for split shifts. Unfortunately, none of those available fit my drop bars. The road bike equivalent would fit but is less favorable in every other way. My preferred alternate is downtube friction shifters.
5. I like v-brakes - simple, compact, powerful, cheap.
6. 36 spoke wheels, period. Nothing less, no excuses.
7. I prefer 26 inch wheels and 559x50 hybrid tires (smooth center, knobby on the edge) for loaded touring and all-around use.
This past month I've toured ~1750 miles on the setup shown in the photo. While I normally tour with Trek 520 (and before that Cannondale T1000), I had the mountain bike from Tour D'Afrique riding and followed that trip with some additional touring in the US. I put two panniers on the back rack and two panniers on the Extrawheel trailer behind. Here is how my list would compare to your above:

1. In past I've preferred the Aluminum ride (on Cannondale T1000) but steel on this bike is fine.
2. My suspension fork doesn't "suspend" much since it is either in lockout mode or I'm putting enough weight that it mostly stays in place. Not a big deal in this case, though agree if I had a non-suspension fork that likely is as good for mostly on-road touring.
3. I don't get into the drops on my touring bikes, so drop bars weren't a big deal. Instead, the bar-ends do give me some alternate hand positions.
4. So far these shifters have worked fine, though agree with you on friction shifters for simplicity.
5. I really like the disc brakes. Lots of extra stopping power for myself and my gear and keeps the wear off the rims. Hydraulic brakes could have been a finicky alternative for touring, though so far I've been lucky.
6. I'm heavier, so rear wheel is 40 spokes and front is 36 spokes. I'm still figuring out this Extrawheel trailer but it might work better to have same spoke count in its rim as my rear wheel so I could cannibalize if necessary.
7. 26x1.75 has worked well as tires for me. Wider doesn't seem to make much difference for me, particularly on road.

So far the trailer/pannier combination has worked well. The attachment is at the rear wheel so it tracks well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0459a.jpg (44.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 06-15-13, 08:31 PM
mattgmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my commuter mtb that I've been experimenting with some overnight trips hoping to start some real touring. It's a voodoo bizango frame, rhyno lite rims on xt hubs, race face crank, deore mix drivetrain, Scott AT-2 handlebars, xt disc in front, v-brake in rear.

I'm working on an upgrade to a 10sp slx drivetrain atm (buying up parts one at a time). It also recently received a brooks b17 to replace the nashbar ass-cracker saddle.

This bike has been serving me well for a few months in it's current configuration. The drivetrain upgrade is fueled by a waning rear cassette, constant adjustment needed on the derailleurs, and I just don't like the race-face crank. Are there any more upgrades that would be worth spending on before I take this bike on some longer trips? ( I love the scott mtb bullhorns btw).
Attached Images
IMG_20130608_152731.jpg (99.8 KB, 167 views)
Old 06-16-13, 07:06 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
Nothing to add but, nice looking Voodoo!
Old 02-03-14, 11:08 AM
bmwstbill

Bikes: '80's vintage Dutch framed(Gazelle), Japanese components,set up for city riding and light touring...fenders, rack and bags.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bump for this thread, must be some more conversions out there, or is there another thread on the same subject I am missing?

Here's mine to throw on the fire.

bill

Last edited by bmwstbill; 02-03-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-03-14, 12:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Advantage to a MTB-> trekking bar conversion .. is you really dont have to invest that much money

into the project,, with a Drop bar conversion you can shell out significant Coin.

particularly if wanting STI Brifter's and such ..
Old 02-03-14, 12:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Not really much of a conversion since mostly it came like that, (used)

just I had to raise the handlebars with the stem riser , the bars were already of a Trekking type.

https://www.cyclofiend.com/working/20...clark1008.html
Old 02-11-14, 02:23 PM
bmwstbill

Bikes: '80's vintage Dutch framed(Gazelle), Japanese components,set up for city riding and light touring...fenders, rack and bags.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Not really much of a conversion since mostly it came like that, (used)

just I had to raise the handlebars with the stem riser , the bars were already of a Trekking type.

https://www.cyclofiend.com/working/20...clark1008.html
That's a darn nice bike, the clear multiple pics are appreciated.

What make is the front fork and how does it work/do you like it?

What racks are you using? Tubus?

What tires?

bill

Last edited by bmwstbill; 02-11-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-11-14, 02:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Front fork Spinner.. it was re machined for the Company, then painted, short 35mm travel ,
it came as Is ..

If building from scratch .. I wouldn't bother . but in the Signature build, menu-list Program ,
at Koga.com in NL has a similar Option.

Koga Gets bulk orders for parts , so the Kickstand on the front rack braze on is exclusive to Koga.
they do buy Tubus racks.

link may take more Koga Site navigation , but they do maintain a back model spec list , still .
https://www.koga-signature.com/Build-...px?language=en

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-11-14 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 02:37 PM
RhinoDave

Bikes: Serotta road, Nashbar Touring, Bianchi Cross, Serotta MTB, Schwinn Mesa MTB, Schwinn Moab commuter/backroad tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1998 Schwinn Moab One that has been configured several ways over the years and was used to do the GAP trail and C&O towpath a few years back. It has been a single speed, a 1X9 commuter and grocery getter. An upright flat bar tourer with MTB shifters and V-brakes as well as a drop bar tourer with cantilever brakes and interrupter brakes. It is currently set up with MTB riser bars and MTB STI shifters.
As a 1x9 commuter:

Loaded for the GAP/ C&O trip:
Attached Images
Moab.jpg (48.0 KB, 136 views)
Moab Touring.jpg (61.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 02-13-14, 10:21 AM
hedgeapple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my rockhopper (or plop-hopper - I live on a farm) in final form before we built the SC30 Raleigh that replaced it and inherited the saddle, rack, and fenders. This was not a bad bike at all, but the SC30 rides better (it is a comfort bike, after all), is faster, and accepted drop bars with ease. Having rigid forks, it will also be easier to set up for front-loading.
Attached Images
The Bike.jpg (91.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 02-13-14, 01:13 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
A conversion really doesn't have to be that expensive. I converted an '86 Schwinn High Sierra (triple butted 4130 cromoly,18.5" chainstays, midfork mounts for panniers) to a drop using a 1985 Miyata 210 donor. The Miyata was in tough shape so I picked it up for $15. The stem, bars and brake levers went to the High Sierra (and the bars are the randonneuring style you're looking for). Only thing I had to buy for the conversion was a pair of $20 suntour barcons off CL. So it was a $35 conversion, with parts and a frame left over for other projects. Oh, and I decided to splurge and put on CST Cyclone 2.4" tires (another benefit to the High Sierra -- it will fit even wider tires than 2.4").

Old 09-12-16, 09:51 AM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pulling trailer with my MTB aluminum frame was great at the time. Some how my rear skewer came a little loose and my axle started jumping around, I noticed something wrong, tried to tighten it up, too late drop out gone.
So I went for the smooth ride LHT, traded Nashbar for BOB, Between rides now, bike all buried by camping gear.