Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

replacement for a Mavic Cosmic Elite 20h rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 01:11 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

I am guessing this is the best place for this question.
I have a Cosmic wheelset, but the Cosmic Elite rim on the rear wheel has one enlarged hole so that the nipple does not hold. It just keeps moving down deeper and deeper.

Two good bike shops have pronouced this rim DEAD. (one was going to drop a small washer in the hold the nipple but the deep aero shape of the rim means the washer itself will not hold.)

So, I am looking for a replacement rim to rebuild the wheel.

But Cosmic Elite 20 hole rims are really scarce.

My mechanic told me that Mavic CXP (I think he said 30s but he might had said 40s) are the same rim with different graphics.

But the CXP30 I saw this morning was a 24hole rim. Which is not going to work with a 20spoke hub.

Does anyone know what other Mavic rim would be compatible with these spokes and hub?

(or does anyone have a more brilliant suggestion for how to salvage the bad hub?)
Old 05-12-17, 04:33 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Mavic isn't fantastic about keeping replacement rims available in the US, but you could give them a call at 1 888 466 2842 . They may require you order through a dealer. Alternately, you can try to find a different rim with the same number of holes and the same effective rim diamter (ERD). Re-rim Cosmic Elite w Kinlin XR300 ? - BikeRadar Forum indicates that maybe a Kinline XR-300?

Honestly though, I don't think the Mavic freehub design is particularly fantastic. Were it me I'd just get new wheels( and it was me, recently, my Ksyrium Equipes I replaced with some American Classic hubs and rims hand built by me). Also saved about 500g.
Old 05-12-17, 06:31 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Honestly though, I don't think the Mavic freehub design is particularly fantastic. Were it me I'd just get new wheels( and it was me, recently, my Ksyrium Equipes I replaced with some American Classic hubs and rims hand built by me). Also saved about 500g.
Good suggestion. I just hate to toss out anything that is even close to salvageable.
But I could be throwing good money after bad.
Old 05-12-17, 07:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
The Mavic freehub is far better then many say. One key is to keep it's insides wet with mineral oil. Which is so easy to do it's sad when they are neglected. I've seen many dozens over the years and only abused ones have issues that are use ending. Andy
Old 05-13-17, 10:40 AM
peugeot mongrel

Bikes: 84 Coppi - 94 Hujsak - 82 Colnago Superissimo - 78 Ciöcc - 70's Galmozzi - 73 Lambert - 78 Motobecane Grand Record - 87 Peugeot Triathlon - 66 Peugeot H-40 - 78 Peugeot U08 - 85 Raleigh C-40 - 82 miyata 310 - 82 Univega - 85 Sterling SIS Mixte

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts
I re-rimed a pair old Cosmic Elite with Kinlen 279 s. Kept the spokes. I used washers. It worked well but I was at the end of threads when done. Mine had those funny oversized spoke washers that had started to break. I have the rims and some of those washers still. PM me if yours are that same style. Link to example.

Last edited by peugeot mongrel; 05-13-17 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 12:39 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The Mavic freehub is far better then many say. One key is to keep it's insides wet with mineral oil. Which is so easy to do it's sad when they are neglected. I've seen many dozens over the years and only abused ones have issues that are use ending. Andy
It's not a huge deal, but I found the service interval was more frequent than other designs, and at least once I had one (that I had serviced about a year before) seize in terrifying ways while descending at speed.

I'm honestly just not a fan of Mavic system wheels in general. I also hate their weird spokes, which they are also terrible at having available for order on older wheels.