Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New in the stable... '86 Centurion LeMans RS

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New in the stable... '86 Centurion LeMans RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 11:49 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Thanks for posting this link. I didn't know that site existed.

To the OP, nice bike and a good price. I have an older Le Mans RS. They're good bikes.

I bought it along with this one, from the daughter of the original owners

Here's another one, that I sold several years ago.

Your welcome!

Its a new site that is getting underway.need to catalog all of this Centurion knowledge out here
Old 12-25-15, 12:23 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
And how is that fine young man doing these days?
He's doing great, Robbie. Thanks for asking. Not quite ready for the small Ironman or Le Mans RS yet(maybe in 2017), but he has a 650c Cannondale that should fit him this coming Spring/Summer.
Old 12-25-15, 11:38 PM
nickkoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy
Thanks for the heads up on the pump, it'll stay on the bike.

Yep, it's really clean; it needs a good bath and buff, but everything looks to be surface dirt. It's a shame about the scratch on the top tube. You can't see it in the pictures, but it's a nasty one. Thankfully, it's only through the red top coat and not through the white to the metal.

The teeth on the front an rear show very little rounding off or "shark tooth" wear, so I agree that it's fairly low mileage.

The seat, while not the white seat shown in the catalog pages, is still an original Centurion branded seat. Frankly, I'm not big on white seats, tape, or hoods, so I'm debating whether to convert to black across the board, but a big part of me want's to go with the original colors.
White hoods are difficult to find replacements for with any groupset, but if the old ones are intact and just dirty, Soft Scrub with Bleach will clean them right up (they might be a little sticky afterward though).
Old 12-26-15, 06:15 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
He's doing great, Robbie. Thanks for asking. Not quite ready for the small Ironman or Le Mans RS yet(maybe in 2017), but he has a 650c Cannondale that should fit him this coming Spring/Summer.
Great. That was the best Centurion pic ever.
Old 12-26-15, 02:57 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Especially since the Centurion brand happened not to have been on my radar back in the day (graphics/colors didn't jibe with my '70's aesthetic sensibilities!!!), I've always been in the dark about their model hierarchy.
Yearly changes, not to mention their being forced to re-name their Comp TA and then re-arrange their lineup naming around this change, meant that I didn't know quite what I had when I found my '85 RS Elite.
FLJeepGuy 's LeMans RS looks so much like an updated version of my bike; Tange#2 and still with a brazed box crown, yet finally wearing an SIS drivetrain and aero levers, while mine still had "New 600EX" and GC levers with cables out the top. Similarly-large frame size as well, looks like both of us have taken to stretching the meaning of a "proper fit"!

Mine has a K prefix on the serial #, suggesting a possible Kawamura build (Nishiki's builder). They really had mastered a high-quality build and finish by this time.

I'm hoping that the weather allows you to ride the bike, assuming that the fit will be made suitable (I did have to slam the saddle forward, and modified the steerer and headset to fully slam the stem down).
I am very much enjoying mine.

Last edited by dddd; 12-26-15 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 01:38 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for posting this link. I didn't know that site existed.

To the OP, nice bike and a good price. I have an older Le Mans RS. They're good bikes.

I bought it along with this one, from the daughter of the original owners

Here's another one, that I sold several years ago.

Sorry to revive this older thread, But I just purchased that exact model of Lemans RS (the Black, silver and pink).
I can't find what year it is?!
thought originally '87, but those appeared to all have Shimano SIS RD's. These have Suntour Cyclone.
Old 05-18-17, 01:53 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Great buy! My wife had that exact same bike (only a smaller frame) and I wish we hadn't sold it. We bought hers brand new and the seat was black, just as yours is.
Old 05-18-17, 01:53 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by dpicare26
Sorry to revive this older thread, But I just purchased that exact model of Lemans RS (the Black, silver and pink).
I can't find what year it is?!
thought originally '87, but those appeared to all have Shimano SIS RD's. These have Suntour Cyclone.
The black and pink one is an '85. The teal and white is '87.

https://vintage-centurion.com/sites/d...on_Catalog.pdf
Old 05-19-17, 12:18 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My wife's Centurion Lemsns mixte is probably the favorite bike in the stable, and until last week we had three tandems, it's a big stable.

Rose champagne paint with gold accents and the highest production value on the paint and frame finish of a thing we have, and that includes two Chehslis Kleins. When the Kleins take a backseat in paint and production value, that's saying something.

I love Centurions now. Thanks to RobbieTunes for clueing me into the brand. They don't work for me, but I love 'em.