Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walking as a Second Language

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walking as a Second Language

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 02:53 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Despite above average temps the last two days, we are experiencing extremely dense fog with low overcast skies. It's like walking around in a cloud, but it also means the roads will not dry up. So no bike riding, but I did go out to the park today and walked the 1/4 mile track and the MUP for 80 minutes.
Old 01-10-18, 05:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
New Year Resolution?
Summer ... nice days + opportunities.
Old 01-10-18, 08:31 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Thank you

"Cool! was the operative word yesterday that allowed me to complete the marathon. Had the weather not been that cold for a Florida winter morning, I likely would have overheated and not done as well.

I called my knee/shoulder orthopedic surgeon today and made an appointment for this Wednesday to see him about setting a date for my right leg tibial osteotomy/knee replacement surgery. Interestingly enough...December 10, 2015 was my final prostate cancer surgery, October 10, 2016 was my right shoulder replacement and now January 10 is the day to see when I can have another surgery. Also happens to be 6 months to the date since my 67th birthday.

I have the Hamster Wheel 200 mile/12 hour bike ride this coming Sunday morning and will check with the doctor if he feels I should "go the distance."
Take care of yourself. I walk halves not fulls most of the time, but my rate is more like 16 minute miles trained, and 18 untrained...

and you are older than me.. take care of yourself.. back to work tomorrow and another few miles.. (I walk 3 to 5 miles on a given workday at work)
Old 01-11-18, 12:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by khyricat
......................... (I walk 3 to 5 miles on a given workday at work)
That's totally awesome

Saw doctor today and new knees ARE NOT recommended if I want to continue half/full marathons, even walking them. Going for open-osteotomy on each leg to start with and new knees in the future when appropriate.
Old 01-11-18, 08:12 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
. . . new knees ARE NOT recommended . . .
Great news!
Old 01-14-18, 12:36 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Partly inspired by this thread, the hubster and I took our first hike in the Arcata Community Forest today for the first time in over three months. It was a beautiful walk, but we're in our 50's and owww! I ride, so how can my calves hurt this much?? The forest is all hills, barring a short bit along the top of the ridge; murder on the legs, but it does wonderful things for the butt. Assuming we survive the night.
Old 01-14-18, 04:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Korina
Partly inspired by this thread, the hubster and I took our first hike in the Arcata Community Forest today for the first time in over three months. It was a beautiful walk, but we're in our 50's and owww! I ride, so how can my calves hurt this much?? The forest is all hills, barring a short bit along the top of the ridge; murder on the legs, but it does wonderful things for the butt. Assuming we survive the night.
Well done! Cycling doesn't work the calves very much ... the descents is what you're probably feeling.
Old 01-14-18, 04:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today I ran the Cadbury 10K!!

First time I've ever done an event like that ... first time I've run an event since my Track and Field days in my teens.

It's quite the event ... the marathon runners are set off at 6 am, and the half-marathon follow them at 6:30 am. There's a little break to allow some of those runners to come in, then the 5K runners were set off at 8:45 on a different route, and me and my fellow 10K runners at 9:45.

I got there (taxi + shuttle bus) at about 8:20, just in time for the first marathon runner to come across the finish line at 8:24. Great atmosphere!

And moments later, I came across one of my work colleagues! Although I knew that he and his wife ran, I didn't realise how involved they were. She ran the 10K too (much faster than me), and he was there doing photography for the club they are members of and also the Cadbury organisers. So it was nice to have someone there I knew. Another coworker was running the half, but I think she was finished by the time I got there ... she had a fast run.

Then the 10Ks were off! It was a good run. I kept to my slow pace and felt really comfortable. Except for one thing which I'll mention in a minute. I even had enough at the end to give an extra push for the last couple hundred metres.

There were a number of people running near me who were friendly, and we kept leap-frogging each other. And one other participant in the 10K was a lady who is hoping for an Olympic spot ... I was barely past the 1K point, when she was coming the other way, heading for the finish line!! Does she ever look fit and muscular!

As for the one thing I struggled with ... and I struggle with this on all my runs over 8 km (all 3 of them) ... my left foot goes numb. Like totally asleep as if I'm sitting on my leg. Really weird. I wear my shoes slightly loose, and even stopped at one point to loosen my shoe even more, but I had a numb left foot most of the way.

Despite that, I finished in 1:16:45 ... toward the back of the pack, but not dead last.

I was handed my bag with my medal, a bottle of water, and chocolate ... it is the Cadbury Run after all ... at the finish line, and then my work colleague took me over to the booth his club had set up because they had chocolate cake!!

I got in a 2.4 km walk on my way home. And after I got home, I did a 45 minute spin on my trainer downstairs just to get my legs moving a bit.

Nothing like trying something new during the year you turn 50!
Old 01-14-18, 08:22 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Originally Posted by Machka
Today I ran the Cadbury 10K!!

First time I've ever done an event like that ... first time I've run an event since my Track and Field days in my teens.

It's quite the event ... the marathon runners are set off at 6 am, and the half-marathon follow them at 6:30 am. There's a little break to allow some of those runners to come in, then the 5K runners were set off at 8:45 on a different route, and me and my fellow 10K runners at 9:45.

I got there (taxi + shuttle bus) at about 8:20, just in time for the first marathon runner to come across the finish line at 8:24. Great atmosphere!

And moments later, I came across one of my work colleagues! Although I knew that he and his wife ran, I didn't realise how involved they were. She ran the 10K too (much faster than me), and he was there doing photography for the club they are members of and also the Cadbury organisers. So it was nice to have someone there I knew. Another coworker was running the half, but I think she was finished by the time I got there ... she had a fast run.

Then the 10Ks were off! It was a good run. I kept to my slow pace and felt really comfortable. Except for one thing which I'll mention in a minute. I even had enough at the end to give an extra push for the last couple hundred metres.

There were a number of people running near me who were friendly, and we kept leap-frogging each other. And one other participant in the 10K was a lady who is hoping for an Olympic spot ... I was barely past the 1K point, when she was coming the other way, heading for the finish line!! Does she ever look fit and muscular!

As for the one thing I struggled with ... and I struggle with this on all my runs over 8 km (all 3 of them) ... my left foot goes numb. Like totally asleep as if I'm sitting on my leg. Really weird. I wear my shoes slightly loose, and even stopped at one point to loosen my shoe even more, but I had a numb left foot most of the way.

Despite that, I finished in 1:16:45 ... toward the back of the pack, but not dead last.

I was handed my bag with my medal, a bottle of water, and chocolate ... it is the Cadbury Run after all ... at the finish line, and then my work colleague took me over to the booth his club had set up because they had chocolate cake!!

I got in a 2.4 km walk on my way home. And after I got home, I did a 45 minute spin on my trainer downstairs just to get my legs moving a bit.

Nothing like trying something new during the year you turn 50!
Wow!! Congratulations!! It sounds like you had a blast. And chocolate cake to boot!

Hey Charlene a suggestion: Try some alternate lacing patterns on your kicks ("kicks" = hipster for shoes lol) that might (no promises) help with the numbing of your foot during long events. I've had a very similar experience. Something to try anyway -- Here's a link to start with
Old 01-14-18, 01:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Well done! Cycling doesn't work the calves very much ... the descents is what you're probably feeling.
Most likely. What usually happens is I feel it in my thighs on the hike, but the next morning my calves are in knots. I don't usually feel the calves on the hike. Oh the joys of getting older.
Old 01-15-18, 01:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Most likely. What usually happens is I feel it in my thighs on the hike, but the next morning my calves are in knots. I don't usually feel the calves on the hike. Oh the joys of getting older.
Not really age-related. It's probably just DOMs which hits anyone who hasn't done that sort of thing in a while.

I climb a lot of stairs ... but if I haven't done it in a while, when I do just 10 flights my calves will ache the next day.

If you were to hike regularly, you'd probably be fine.
Old 01-15-18, 03:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Not really age-related. It's probably just DOMs which hits anyone who hasn't done that sort of thing in a while.

I climb a lot of stairs ... but if I haven't done it in a while, when I do just 10 flights my calves will ache the next day.

If you were to hike regularly, you'd probably be fine.
(sigh) If I could hike more than once a week max, yeah. Better today, but I'll never get used to the weird sensation of feeling my calves clench when I walk.

No stairs for me, my arthritic knees would say 'NO' after the first flight, and really it's no use arguing. I miss stairs, but at least I can still hike up the steepest trails with little problem.

Um, what's DOMs?
Old 01-15-18, 06:44 PM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with this super cold and snow/ice, I'm lucky to do a bit of outdoor walking this winter (some years I am out running all winter). Today I walked with a friend to a restaurant near the clinic for lunch in the snow... it snowed all day long.
Old 01-15-18, 06:59 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thank you

"Cool! was the operative word yesterday that allowed me to complete the marathon. Had the weather not been that cold for a Florida winter morning, I likely would have overheated and not done as well.

I called my knee/shoulder orthopedic surgeon today and made an appointment for this Wednesday to see him about setting a date for my right leg tibial osteotomy/knee replacement surgery. Interestingly enough...December 10, 2015 was my final prostate cancer surgery, October 10, 2016 was my right shoulder replacement and now January 10 is the day to see when I can have another surgery. Also happens to be 6 months to the date since my 67th birthday.

I have the Hamster Wheel 200 mile/12 hour bike ride this coming Sunday morning and will check with the doctor if he feels I should "go the distance."
Just make sure there is enough of the real you left that you don't have to register as a cyborg.
Old 01-15-18, 07:07 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

(sigh) If I could hike more than once a week max, yeah. Better today, but I'll never get used to the weird sensation of feeling my calves clench when I walk.

No stairs for me, my arthritic knees would say 'NO' after the first flight, and really it's no use arguing. I miss stairs, but at least I can still hike up the steepest trails with little problem.

Um, what's DOMs?
DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness.

Happens to pretty much everyone if you don't use certain muscles regularly.

I'm going through a bit of it from my run on Sunday.
Old 01-15-18, 09:03 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Just make sure there is enough of the real you left that you don't have to register as a cyborg.
Turns out that the doc suggested to only go with open osteotomy in both legs so I can continue to walk the full marathons. He felt the biking would cause no problem on new knees but wasn't thrilled with so much repetitive impact from miles of speed walking. CT scans done today and more on Wednesday.
Old 01-17-18, 12:27 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Today I worked the morning shift. I'm already over 10,000 steps at 10am this morning - and I'm still going out to exercise walk this afternoon. Morning shift rocks!
Old 03-07-18, 10:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

As of Tuesday 6 March, I was up to 293.6 km for the year.

By comparison ...

In 2017, I was at 286.6.

In 2016, I was at 171.8.

In 2015, I was at 159.

If I continue to keep pace with what I was doing in 2017, I'd be happy with that.
Old 05-14-18, 05:13 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I'm up to 547.41 km of walking & running this year.

To this date on ...
May 2017, I had done 491.75 km
May 2016, I had done 388.45 km
May 2015, I had done 371.90 km

I'm a bit surprised by my total this year but I've been walking every single day since March 19 ... mainly to and from the hospital with a bit of university walking thrown in. In other words, most of that has been transportational walking.
Old 05-19-18, 10:16 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tuesday, 1 May 2018 ... 3 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Wednesday, 2 May 2018 ... 5 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Thursday, 3 May 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Friday, 4 May 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 12 flights of stairs
Saturday, 5 May 2018 ... 5.92 walking and running
Sunday, 6 May 2018 ... 3.26 walking and running
Monday, 7 May 2018 ... 6.6 walking + 6 flights of stairs

Tuesday, 8 May 2018 ... 1.80 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Wednesday, 9 May 2018 ... 5 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Thursday, 10 May 2018 ... 1.80 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Friday, 11 May 2018 ... 1.20 km walking + 2 flights of stairs
Saturday, 12 May 2018 ... 1.80 km walking + 2 flights of stairs
Sunday, 13 May 2018 ... 4.38 km walking and running + 2 flights of stairs

Monday, 14 May 2018 ... 6.6 km walking + 14 flights of stairs
Tuesday, 15 May 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Wednesday, 16 May 2018 ... 5 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Thursday, 17 May 2018 ... 1.8 km walking + 6 flights of stairs
Friday, 18 May 2018 ... 2.4 km walking + 10 flights of stairs
Saturday, 19 May 2018 ... 2.8 km walking + 30 min ride on my trainer + 2 flights of stairs

2017 Monthly May
Walking Distance (km): 63.8
Walking Time (min): 797.0
Cycling Distance (km): 8.5
Cycling Time (min): 26.8
Stairs Climbed Number: 104.0
Stairs Climbed Time (min): 83.2

Totals
Total Distance (km): 72.3
Total Distance (miles): 44.9
Total Time (min): 907.0
Total Time (hr): 15:07:03

** Almost all of that walking was utility walking, mainly back and forth to the hospital, with the exception of a small handful of training runs **
Old 05-20-18, 02:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm back to walking more after getting hit by a car a couple of weeks ago. Dislocated and fractured shoulder so no bike rides until the ortho doc says it's okay. I'm hoping the doc will clear me for using an indoor trainer soon.

Most of my walks are errands near home, 1-3 miles, but Thursday I walked 6 miles between medical appointments. Had plenty of time between X-ray, MRI and CT scans so I walked to each. My left hip was aching after 5 miles but that's mostly because I hadn't walked that much in awhile. Occasionally my hips ache after long bike rides too.

I may try walking to downtown next week, an 8-12 mile trip depending on the route I take. Both are close enough to the bus route that I have a bail out option if necessary.
Old 05-20-18, 08:29 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
"For me (and I know this sounds strange) sometimes I just get tired of cycling. About once every year or so, I look at the Black Knight bike and say "Ugh!" It's probably because I'm a little older (almost 62) and have been cycling for sooooooo long and sooooooo far. " Yep. Me, too. Last year I took up hiking after a 40 year absence. Needed something that complimented cycling in the winter, and now it has become a spring and fall thing to do as well. Been a serious tourist, racer, commuter since 1971, and finally as I near 60 I am diversifying back into hiking which I got into while living in the Bay Area. It's good to be back, balanced, and far away from California!
Old 06-05-18, 04:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

As usual these days ... lots of walking back and forth to the Rehab Unit, walking back and forth to University, commute walking, grocery shopping, plus more.

"Car free" since March 22. :/

As of June 5 ...

2015 -- 445.85 km
2016 -- 436.35 km
2017 -- 550.75 km
2018 -- 640.87 km
Old 06-29-18, 08:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

To June 2018 -- 725.57 km
To June 2017 -- 597.35 km
To June 2016 -- 512.12 km
To June 2015 -- 502.15 km

"Car free" for the past 100 days.

Turns out I've got severe arthritis in my right foot and moderate arthritis in my left foot. I'm hoping to see a podiatrist soon. No shoes are comfortable and every step hurts. But nevertheless, I need to walk ... it's how I get around. I'm not sure that any of the 110 km I've done this month have been "recreational". I think they've all been "utility" walking.

I've given up on running for the time being ... until a podiatrist checks things out.
Old 06-29-18, 11:55 AM
Nightcap

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sadly, my podiatrist warns me that walking, for me, is a luxury. His assistant was fine with cycling, “In moderation. You don’t want to do twenty miles in a day.” I didn’t waste time enlightening him that twenty miles is a nice ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.