Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bought a Catrike 700

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bought a Catrike 700

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 06:34 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a Catrike 700

It is a 2016 used 700. Owned by a little old lady that only rode it to church on Sundays, or something like that. Anyway, I will take possession on Monday. The lady that owned it is very short, so the boom was cut for her. I am 6'2" and the cut boom will not work form me. A new boom is on order. I am buying it through a bike shop/dealer, so they will make it fit. I am anxious to get it on the road, or trail.
Old 11-10-17, 07:04 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Good deal. Post more after you've had a chance to put it through its paces.
Old 11-25-17, 08:00 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took my first open road ride on the Catrike 700 on Thanksgiving morning. Pedaled 24 miles with a group of friends. What I found is that the Catrike 700 is light and quick, but surprisingly stable on descents and cornering. Many good points, but a few items that I want to change. First, I do not like the neck (or head?)rest. I have a different one coming. I do need another water bottle holder, and have that now on order.

I also found I am quite lacking in recumbent trike legs. I pushed fairly hard on this ride. My legs cramped that night and some afterward. Only 24 miles and my legs cramped? This trike leg training may take a while.

I would like to find some trike riders in the area to ride with and learn from. Not many of them.
Old 11-26-17, 05:47 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
BA, first off, leg length for me on a bent or a trike is critical. Just a couple mm too long can cause adductor cramps, inner thigh, so consider some fine tuning on your seat length.

As for water bottle, I have a very nice water bottle cage that clamps on the upper horizontal seat bar.

The Catrike headrest is probably one of the worst headrests in existence. It's light but won't stay adjusted and is prone to bolt stripping. There are better ones available, the problem is finding one that is comfortable for you. I don't use a headrest but my wife does and she's gone through a few including the much touted Krispy Steve which she disliked immensely. She finally has settled on an ICE headrest. It fits her small, delicate neck and stays in place. YMMV.

Have fun with the 700. It's a great machine.

Old 11-29-17, 12:39 PM
KaisoArt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's hoping you get your "recumbent trike legs" soon, and to don't get "recumbent bladder". When I transitioned from my DF to laid back recumbent, I got in only a few miles on my first ride before cramping. I could understand it, as the cramping was in different and previously underused muscles. The worst change was what the recumbent position did to my bladder. I had to pee every half mile! Fortunately, this did not last too long as my body got accustomed to the laid back position quickly.
Old 11-29-17, 01:10 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Yep, frequent peeing on a recumbent has been reported many times and I concur.

Old 11-29-17, 01:11 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
^ I had to learn to regulate my hydration before a ride in order to get around that issue. I was having to pull off at people's home and ask if I could use their potty (or back yard) while living where I was. I found that starting mildly less hydrated than you might for a ride and then drinking as I sweat worked out better. It was every five minutes...crazy.
Old 11-29-17, 06:29 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have experienced this bladder problem. My wife wanted me at the doctor;s office after the first couple rides. It is getting better, and she is getting off my case.
Old 11-29-17, 07:40 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
I have experienced this bladder problem. My wife wanted me at the doctor;s office after the first couple rides. It is getting better, and she is getting off my case.
I ride regularly with a trike group of ...ahem... mature gentlemen. We work very hard at getting our bladder stops synced.

Old 11-30-17, 12:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The only time I suffered 'recumbent bladder' was when it was cold out. Over the years, even that has subsided a lot. However, I do have a case of '50+ bladder' on or off the bents.
Old 11-30-17, 01:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
On a related note, corn fields in Central Indiana are mostly harvested by now, resulting in fewer opportunities for 'crop inspection'.
Old 01-08-18, 12:25 PM
Guntrainer

Bikes: Catrike 700

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My '16 Cat 700. Had to get new muscle groups up and running, had the "bent bladder". Really like the trike, had to go this route because of bad knees and back issues. Lots of fun for an old guy, keeps me on the road.
Old 01-08-18, 08:47 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Guntrainer

My '16 Cat 700. Had to get new muscle groups up and running, had the "bent bladder". Really like the trike, had to go this route because of bad knees and back issues. Lots of fun for an old guy, keeps me on the road.
How long did it take to get the trike muscles in good order?
Old 01-08-18, 11:11 PM
Guntrainer

Bikes: Catrike 700

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought it April of 16. Last fall I began to have same average speed as when on a diamond frame during the 2015 season. Considering that I am another year older and wear knee braces, I can't complain. Say 15-16 months.

I now also have a recumbent trainer I hit pretty hard, and my gym has them too. 2 hours at a time, three or four days a week right now on the trainer. I do not intend to lose the legs over the winter. As I near 70, it will be harder and harder to get them back.

Age and diabetes has caused me to stay in during cold weather, simply cannot tolerate it, but 90 degree days will work for me.

Am really happy with the Cat. Dropping youngsters with good kit makes my day. Getting dropped by hammerheads no longer damages my ego.
Old 01-09-18, 08:46 PM
BikeArkansas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on a trike a little over 2 months, and of course the weather has not permitted consistent riding. I though I would have trike legs in about 6 months, but have changed the time to spring of 2019, about what you found. I am about your age, 68, so i am accepting the fact it will take me a while to get the speed I want out of the trike.
Old 04-16-18, 11:52 AM
Arnie11384

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cramping on a trike

If you wear cleats, try modifying your shoes so you can position the cleats mid-foot. This causes you to use more hamstrings and glutes. More efficient and no cramping if you slowly increase your milage.
Old 04-18-18, 03:36 PM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
How long did it take to get the trike muscles in good order?
FWIW, it took me about 6 weeks to get past asking this question. Otoh, after riding different trikes over a period of a year, I came to the conclusion (supported by many over at BROL) that "being on a trike" cost me 3-5kph at a minimum despite finally acclimating to it.

(In support of that last statement, read some of brit_sea_power's posts (or something like that) over there about his experience "racing" a Catrike 700. If I remember correctly, he was a young stud, maybe late 20s, who had been a fairly competitive DFer prior to his experiment with the 700. --- Obviously, he was in much better shape than I ever was and came to the same conclusiopn before he went back to DFs.

Sorry if pointing to another board/forum is considered uncouth here, but this is very on point, I think.)