Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tight tire on a....700c rim?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 03:35 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

Trying to mount tires on two nice old (6 speed) Campagnolo hubbed clinchers.
A 700c tire fits easily into the rear Ambrosia rim.
But trying to fit a 700c tire on the front wheel, a Campagnolo Omega rim, is basically impossible. (I was able to force one 700c tire using steel tire irons but then realized "this is useless. What would I do if I flatted on the road? I wouldn't be able to get the tire off")

Could this front be a 27"? Doesn't look like it. When I hold them.vertical against a wall and drop a square, the diameter seems to be identical. The pencil mark lines up for both rims.

So what other explanation could there be?

What else can I try? I've got about 2 dozen used 700s. Just keep trying them all, like Cinderella and the slipper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180423_172437-384x512.jpg (45.3 KB, 134 views)
20180423_172609-384x512.jpg (51.7 KB, 134 views)
20180423_172535-384x512.jpg (31.6 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by pstock; 04-23-18 at 03:41 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 04-23-18, 03:42 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Compare the markings on the old tire with the new tire?
Old 04-23-18, 03:59 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Campagnolo didn't make 27" rims. You just have a tight tire/rim combination. I have the same rims, with Continental tires installed. I don't remember any particular difficulty mounting them, but because of arthritis in my hands, I do use a bead jack (better than tire irons, as there's no risk of puncturing the tube when installing). VAR makes a portable bead jack/tire lever combination you can carry with you:

https://www.retro-gression.com/produ...tire-bead-jack
Old 04-23-18, 05:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
New tires are always tougher to install than used ones - so after you've had it on there a while it shouldn't be a problem if you need to fix a flat on the road.

But a stretching technique I've used is to install the tire without a tube - so you don't have to worry about pinching it, and you can use your regular levers to get that last bit of bead on. Then you can go around the wheel with the levers and work some slack into the bead on both sides. Then put in the tube and re-install with just your hands.
Old 04-23-18, 10:30 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Had a similar experience with some Contis recently, 3 "made in Germany" were impossible to mount without 30 minutes of wrestling
on a Vuelta wheel. OTOH same tire(s) mounted easily on a Rolf tandem rim in about 2 minutes. A 4th Conti (Ultra Race) made in SE
Asia, mounted with little difficulty on the Vuelta, where it is now. A Michelin Pro4 that was on the Rolf also easily mounted on the
Vuelta. Some combos can easily be mounted with thumbs only, some will break a few tire tools getting them on and will require
divine intervention to remove in case of flat in the boonies. Took my thumbs 3-4 days to recover from wrestling with all the tires
and wasted 3-4 hours overall on the experience.
Old 04-23-18, 10:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
What rim tape do you have in there?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-24-18, 01:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Continental Ultra Sport 2 tires are why I now have a Kool Stop bead jack. Good tires for the money but when I tried to install them using a plastic tire lever to horse the bead over the rim I nicked a tube. The bead jack is easier and minimizes the risk of nicking a tube.

On the same rims (older Araya CTL-370) I could install Vittoria Zaffiros without trouble. Schwalbe One V-Guards were tough to install when new but got a bit easier the second or third time. The Contis don't get easier.

No problems with Conti Speed Rides on my hybrid rims. The complaints about Conti tires being super tight seem to be confined to their road bike tires.
Old 04-24-18, 05:54 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I have one rim like that, and at least one tire brand does not mount on it. It was given to me by someone who repeated broke and bent tire irons on it, but I'm able to use it with the right tire.

Nice trick above, not using a tube at first with a new tire.

Another trick is to pinch the two beads into the center of the rim, where the diameter is often a mm or so smaller. Use both hands to squeeze the tire into the rim around the mounted circumference. That extra mm can make a big difference.

And recently I've been finishing at the valve stem, in order to allow the beads to seat into the center of the rim more fully (another tip I heard here). It works if you're careful not to damage the stem.
Old 04-24-18, 07:04 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The complaints about Conti tires being super tight seem to be confined to their road bike tires.
Agreed - I had Gatorskins on one road bike, and have US2s on another. They're the hardest tyres to fit that I've ever used.
Old 04-24-18, 08:00 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Some tire/rims combos are just tough to get on. Some slip right on, some you have to fight every inch. In addition to the tips listed, lube the rim and tire with dish soap. Just give them a thorough rinsing after you get them on and inflated.
They will loosen up after being ridden on a while.
Old 04-24-18, 08:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the bead seat interface of tire and rim has variations from a precise 622mm diameter, over a million tires & rims made..

Design matters..drop center Wolber super champion 58 rims were easier than Mavic ma40 double wall .. for examples..

Old 04-24-18, 01:29 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Compare the markings on the old tire with the new tire?
Yes, that would make life simple.
But I got these wheels naked, without tires.

Nor are there any markings on the rims to guide me.
Old 04-24-18, 01:33 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
New tires are always tougher to install than used ones - so after you've had it on there a while it shouldn't be a problem if you need to fix a flat on the road.
FWIW all my two dozen tires are used. Most are well well used. I am just trying to find one that fits.
and I would still be anxious about trying to remove a tight fit if I flatted.

As I said, last night was able to force a tire on. But then thought I'd better check if I can even remove it. After snapping in two a plastic tire iron, I went back to a couple of old steel jobs. But their somewhat blunt lever ends were impossible to get under the beads.
I had to grab the empty tired with vice grips, pull hard on that to get a little gap showing that I could get a tire iron into.
That is not going to work on the road.
Old 04-24-18, 01:36 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
VAR makes a portable bead jack/tire lever combination you can carry with you:
So THAT's what that tool is? I used to have a tire iron like that and I had no idea one end was a bead jack. I am getting more of those.

(and good to know about Campagnolo not having made 27" rims. I suspected as much.)
Old 04-24-18, 01:42 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Another trick is to pinch the two beads into the center of the rim, where the diameter is often a mm or so smaller. Use both hands to squeeze the tire into the rim around the mounted circumference. That extra mm can make a big difference.
These particluar rims don't have a lot of depth to them. the cross section bottom seems pretty flat. Though I was wondering one was shallower than the other (so the distance from the middle of the "bottom" of the rim on one side to the outer edge on the opposite side would be greater (and so would make it all feel tighter)

But measuring (those depths), there only seems to be a single mm difference, if that.
(Though that might be enough.)
Old 04-24-18, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Consider yourself lucky that the Ambrosio rim is easy to mount a tire onto. I had two of those rims that were basically impossible with ANY tire I tried. I sold the wheels.
Old 04-24-18, 06:52 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
Trying to mount tires on two nice old (6 speed) Campagnolo hubbed clinchers.
A 700c tire fits easily into the rear Ambrosia rim.
But trying to fit a 700c tire on the front wheel, a Campagnolo Omega rim, is basically impossible. (I was able to force one 700c tire using steel tire irons but then realized "this is useless. What would I do if I flatted on the road? I wouldn't be able to get the tire off")

Could this front be a 27"? Doesn't look like it. When I hold them.vertical against a wall and drop a square, the diameter seems to be identical. The pencil mark lines up for both rims.

So what other explanation could there be?

What else can I try? I've got about 2 dozen used 700s. Just keep trying them all, like Cinderella and the slipper?
Something is wrong if you can't get the first bead on. Assuming you can:

1. Finish the second bead at the valve stem, starting 180 degrees away from it. You'll have less slack when you can't move the bead to the center of the rim.

2. Begin by moving the bead to the middle of the rim extrusion, then maintain tension pulling the bead into the depression as you milk the slack around until you can finish with your thumbs.

3. Use two wraps of 1 mil kapton tape (totaling .005" versus .020" for Velox) if you have a tight combination; 16mm / 5/8" for classic rims, 19mm / 3/4" for somewhat wider.

Together, those things can make the difference between cussing at tools and comfortably hand-mounting tires.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-24-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 10:48 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Twin-Bi...fal+tire+gauge
Old 04-25-18, 02:42 PM
pstock

thanks for the suggestions.

I worked through a few more tires. Finally I was able to force one bead fully on, but that required using tire levers to get it on.
I am stuck on the 2nd bead now though. I am down to about6inches of bead exposed but it is now so tight against the rim that I cannot even force a tire iron in there to pry it on.

and again, this is just an experiment basically. Even if I got it fully on, I would then be trying to remove it, to be sure I could if I needed to out on the road.

I don't know....

the rim tape doesn't have a brand marked on it but it seems to be the light, then plastic snap on stuff.

I'm looking around for a bead tool, but again, if I had to use one, I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to get it off, once out on the road.
Attached Images
P1060893.JPG (164.4 KB, 28 views)
P1060894.JPG (172.1 KB, 28 views)