Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Do You Occupy Your Mind?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How Do You Occupy Your Mind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 02:57 AM
laurenholloway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't need to occupy my mind. I just enjoy every moment when I'm cycling. Enjoying the view make me feel relaxed.
Old 05-03-18, 04:53 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I had a Buddhist tell me once that running and biking were my way of meditation. Clutter? Yes! Chance to sort out the world in my head for a few hours? Always! I even have a mental jukebox.
Old 05-03-18, 06:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
The zen philosopher Basho once said a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a Danish.
Old 05-03-18, 07:54 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I use the time to come up with the wit and wisdom I’m going to unload on BF. Lucky for you all I don’t ride any farther!
Old 05-03-18, 08:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I ride to shut my mind the hell up. It never stops babbling and pestering me night and day. The only way to turn down the inner dialog is to ride my bike. Sometimes I have to beat myself into exhaustion. But I need that time to be in that moment, whether it's the simple sensation of motion or the burning legs and lungs. Wu wei doesn't just happen by itself ya know.
Thanks for the glimpse into your mind. When I started the thread I honestly had no idea how it was with other riders. It's fascinating to know that there are others like me and those who are very different.
Old 05-03-18, 08:10 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I oftentimes pray. Or sometime concentrate and recite Scripture I'm working on memorizing. I've oftentimes had encounter with God, particularly when I was struggling with some issue and seeking His guidance. Then suddenly, I hear!
I listen to music, sometimes Christian praise music, sometimes classical. Funny when driving long distances it's almost always CCR, or other similar classic rock, almost never classical or Christian. And when riding my bike, it's never rock. Don't ask me to explain as I have no explanation. Funny thing is, outside of those two scenarios, bike rides or long vehicle drives, I never listen to music. Daily commute in a car is silent, no radio even. Never been a big music fan really.
But riding for me is a release of everything. Outside of the above mentioned scenarios, I go long distances and other than the normal monitoring of traffic, terrain, and road conditions, I have no idea of what I've been thinking. Maybe my mind goes blank and I just ride without any deep thoughts, or maybe I so concentrate on my aching legs or the hill I'm struggling up I just get lost in it all. Dunno really.

Last edited by WNCGoater; 05-03-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 08:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by bargeon
I don't occupy my mind. It occupies me.
When I first read this I didn't respond because I wasn't sure what you meant. I think I do now. If I understand you correctly you are saying that you don't make a conscious choice to steer your mind in a certain direction but rather your mind goes where it will. If so, it's the same way with me.
Old 05-03-18, 08:15 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I use the time to come up with the wit and wisdom I’m going to unload on BF. Lucky for you all I don’t ride any farther!

I do sometimes turn my thoughts into BF posts. More so when I am riding in traffic and have an encounter that I think will resonate in Advocacy and Safety.
Old 05-03-18, 11:30 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Cyclists talk about training zones. I try to reach the no zone when I ride. The no zone is where you drift off and lose track of time and place.

I was riding the MUP the other day. Same path I have ridden hundreds of times. I got in sync with the bike and my mind starts wandering. When I came out of it I didnt recognize where I was, even though I know every bit of the path. Took me a few seconds to establish where I was...and about a mile of path had dissappesred from my memory. I love that trance like state. Its actually my goal when riding to hit the no zone. Maybe like a runners high. But the cycling rhythm and air rushing by adds to the effect.
Its s a Zen thing man.
Old 05-03-18, 12:33 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Cyclists talk about training zones. I try to reach the no zone when I ride. The no zone is where you drift off and lose track of time and place.

I was riding the MUP the other day. Same path I have ridden hundreds of times. I got in sync with the bike and my mind starts wandering. When I came out of it I didnt recognize where I was, even though I know every bit of the path. Took me a few seconds to establish where I was...and about a mile of path had dissappesred from my memory. I love that trance like state. Its actually my goal when riding to hit the no zone. Maybe like a runners high. But the cycling rhythm and air rushing by adds to the effect.
Its s a Zen thing man.
I've tried sleeping while riding, it has some drawbacks but it's great for the first few seconds.
Old 05-03-18, 02:18 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
So,how do you occupy your mind while riding? I get the solo, quiet ride stuff. Anyone else mt bike? Techy, rocky, rooty trails and such? Must have full concentration, so much that it clears the mind, stops the voices and the chatter. Quite refreshing, the only thing you are thinking abut is the next 2 turns. Really. Similar but different than some of the other kinds of rides here. Pedaling, shifting, turns, popping the wheels up, roll downs, wheelie drops, bunny hops a speed etc. Some of it is like trials moves, if you are familiar with that stuff.
Old 05-03-18, 02:19 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
So,how do you occupy your mind while riding? I get the solo, quiet ride stuff. Anyone else mt bike? Techy, rocky, rooty trails and such? Must have full concentration, so much that it clears the mind, stops the voices and the chatter. Quite refreshing, the only thing you are thinking abut is the next 2 turns. Really. Similar but different than some of the other kinds of rides/ zen/ thought clearing activities here. Pedaling, shifting, turns, popping the wheels up, roll downs, wheelie drops, bunny hops a speed etc. Some of it is like trials moves, if you are familiar with that stuff.
Old 05-03-18, 03:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Leebo
So,how do you occupy your mind while riding? I get the solo, quiet ride stuff. Anyone else mt bike? Techy, rocky, rooty trails and such? Must have full concentration, so much that it clears the mind, stops the voices and the chatter. Quite refreshing, the only thing you are thinking abut is the next 2 turns. Really. Similar but different than some of the other kinds of rides here. Pedaling, shifting, turns, popping the wheels up, roll downs, wheelie drops, bunny hops a speed etc. Some of it is like trials moves, if you are familiar with that stuff.

I have been there before, but my bad joints limit how much pounding I can take these days. My MTB rides are limited to casual trail and Jeep trail rides.
Old 05-03-18, 04:18 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
When I first read this I didn't respond because I wasn't sure what you meant. I think I do now. If I understand you correctly you are saying that you don't make a conscious choice to steer your mind in a certain direction but rather your mind goes where it will. If so, it's the same way with me.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. But I like the ambiguity of "occupy", as in an occupying force or the ghost in the machine.
Old 05-03-18, 07:35 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I ride solo a lot and my thoughts are really of all sorts. Often 'mental conversations' imagining I'm talking through my views on some issue of the day ... social, political, ethical, moral - as a way of figuring out what I think and believe about things. Other times, more mundane thoughts ... like imagining I'm sharing with someone new to cycling why I love about it, how they can get started in the sport. Other times, working through personal family issues and stresses and, especially since those things can't always be solved in the short term (or are just outside of my control), reminding myself to enjoy the present moment and the things that are in my control and are positive - basically, personal therapy. Some times I actually sing out loud - I've got a limited repetoir, but every once in a while, the urge to sing will come upon me. Of course, there's the simple joy of riding - those occasions where I manage to empty my head of any thoughts except enjoying beautiful scenery, a thrilling descent, or a nice rhythmic pedal stroke on the flats. Then, there are those grueling hill climbs that demand all my energy and attention so I'm distracted from any personal issues or trying to solve the world's problems. Whatever it is, I always feel mentally better while riding and am very thankful I'm able to enjoy this wonderful sport.

Last edited by dennis336; 05-03-18 at 07:38 PM. Reason: miss-spelled word
Old 05-03-18, 07:57 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Trying to remember where I left my car keys
Old 05-03-18, 08:58 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Prayer.

My spirituality is monastic. Monks enjoy solitude and silence and long solo rides really appeal to me. They are great "lovers of the place" and I give thanks for the beautiful scenery, sun, air, my breath and beating heart, family waiting back home for me to arrive safely, etc.

I Pray that my mom is at peace and for peace in the world, that all might experience a little bit of the peace I feel when I ride my bike.

I sometimes pray the Our Father or Rosary or Psalm 95 audibly in rhythm to my breathing.

Sometimes I even pray for bikeforum members, that God grants you all a peaceful life and the gift of knowing him intimately.

-Tim-
I can relate. Out on a long ride with very little distractions, makes for a great time for a good long prayer with the Lord. I always thank him for another day, my family and friends, health and safety of all, and for giving me the ability and opportunity to do the things I love to do, like riding my bike.

Other thoughts are spent setting various little goals as I ride. I may have started out with only intentions of going 30 miles on one specific route. Then, I may shoot for another 10. Then 10 more after that. I also try to achieve and maintain a certain average speed, or challenge myself on more difficult routes or climbs. Just various little goals throughout the ride.

Sometimes I just ignore the Strava and take my time and explore wherever impulse takes me, enjoying the newness of the location, scenery, people, etc.

And sometimes it's simply thoughts of what adjustments I need to make to get this dang bike to fit better!
Old 05-03-18, 09:22 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring

Its s a Zen thing man.
Yeah, I love getting in that zone where the adrenaline gets to flowing and you get to where you forget you're even pedaling a bike. Almost like you're on a motorcycle. There's a point I hit, where I feel as if I can ride indefinitely. Everything about it that you enjoy is just heightened to the max. It truly is a Zen thing. Then again, there are some days where I feel sluggish from the get-go, and it never really gets any better. Hard to know what you're gonna get from ride to ride. LOL

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out what exactly dictates which way it may go. I know it's not how much sleep you've gotten or what you've eaten. I've had some of my most energetic rides on very little sleep and/or less than ideal diet.
Old 05-04-18, 09:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Some people say they pretty much let their minds go blank while they ride. I find that impossible. I am always pondering things. News, politics, religion, cycling, history, science and pretty much everything.
Old 05-04-18, 11:40 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Some people say they pretty much let their minds go blank while they ride. I find that impossible. I am always pondering things. News, politics, religion, cycling, history, science and pretty much everything.
If I get into deep thought, I slow down. Luckily someone usually rides by and brings me out of my reverie.
Old 05-05-18, 05:35 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Prayer.

My spirituality is monastic.
I sometimes pray the Our Father or Rosary or Psalm 95 audibly in rhythm to my breathing.
Sometimes I even pray for bikeforum members, that God grants you all a peaceful life and the gift of knowing him intimately.
-Tim-
Now, try a Gregorian chant starting with the Kyrie eleison, followed by the Apostles Creed, the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and then the Glory Be. All in Latin as the Monks certainly would have done.
Old 05-05-18, 09:50 AM
dual650c

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Our levee paths don't cross any roads. There are access drives to some of the businesses inside the levee, but it's very rare to encounter a motorist there. There are a few places where you can expect to encounter a mindless pedestrian, and certain times more than others. Most of the time though the mind is free to drift.
Sounds like the MRT between New Orleans and the Bonne Carre Spillway/LaPlace. Shrug. My point was levee riding can be somewhat monotonous and conducive to a wandering mind.
Old 05-05-18, 09:59 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I ride my bike. Thoughts drifting? Leads to crashing and such. Shifting, braking, dodging stuff, being aware of my surroundings is helpful too. Commuting as well as mt biking needs to be a focused task. At least for me.
Agree, stay in the here and now as recall rather than just video mode can be hazardous
Old 05-05-18, 03:09 PM
threeteas

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I do a good amount of solo touring, often in places with little traffic. I honestly don't have one specific thing or type of thing I think about. Sometimes I don't think at all. I just enjoy my surroundings. The cooling breeze and the noise if makes gusting through the grasses The buzzing of insects and the calls of birds. Did exactly that here a couple of years ago. Nothing man made other than the grading of the crude road. No vehicle noise. Not even airplanes overhead.

Where is this? It looks like the sand-hills in Nebraska? I bought a New Albion Privateer frame just so I can eventually do a bunch of bike adventuring. It's also amazing on gravel and for long distances on rough terrain.
Old 05-05-18, 03:24 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Sea Shanties

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.