Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I'm 400 lbs...is there a bike for me?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-01-08, 12:22 AM
Need-A-Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey fellow cyclist. As you can see I'm very new to this site, as well to the cycling world. I've done some research online, all have turned out to be dead ends. I found one site but the bikes are over 1200 dollars! , I'm a 6'4 400 lb man and would love to ride a bike, I have had this urge for years but have fear of embarrasment going to stores and they not having a bike for a man of my size! So you guys help will be greatly appreciated! peace!
*update*
whats the best bike a big man should get for around 320? or will i probably not be able to afford a decent bike with my range?

i found this bike on ebay, do yall think it would do well?

https://cgi.ebay.com/SPECIALIZED-HARD...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Need-A-Bike; 06-01-08 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-01-08, 01:16 AM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome! You're in the right place.

Don't feel embarassed about stopping by your LBS. They are supposed to be there to help you. If not, just move along to the next shop. Basically everyone modifies their bike somewhat so that it works best for them. It is OK to ask about this. The main problem with heavier riders is the strength/durability of the wheels. On mtbikes and hybrids, another worry is that heavier riders tend to overload the front suspension. Many have opted to go back to rigid forks instead.

Hardrocks have a great following on the clydes' forum and would be a good choice I think. Budget for the aforementioned modifications in case you need them and you should be fine. Be sure that the bike will fit you before you bid!!!
Old 06-01-08, 02:48 AM
Need-A-Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeh now after reading the threads i think i want a Giant Sedona, I scrambled up 320 dollars, now im on the searching, I'm in western ny and i cant find them! anyoen know a good site that i can buy it from around this price range?

*update* the trek 7200 is looking pretty cool too, anyone know a price range?

Last edited by Need-A-Bike; 06-01-08 at 03:21 AM.
Likes For Need-A-Bike:
Old 06-01-08, 04:05 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a bike for you, don't be discouraged. I rode 7,500 miles on my Trek 7200 and I stand 340#s. I paid about $500.00 for it brand new. The stock wheel-set held up for 2,000 miles before a spoke popped. Once I had the wheels hand-built at my LBS I never had a problem again.

Good luck in your search. There are a few guys on here that are your size, so I hope they chime in soon.
Old 06-01-08, 04:10 AM
Need-A-Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats cool, thanks for the advice, do you think i could get anything decent for 320? that trek 7200 seems so sweet but i def cant afford that anytime soon
Old 06-01-08, 04:16 AM
Need-A-Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
man im so eager to have a bike its 6 am and havent been to sleep yet lol its been like 4 hours of me trying to find a bike online...am i overstressing this....didnt seem like i would be this hard!
Old 06-01-08, 04:36 AM
Mazama
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go to your LBS and get professionally fitted for a bike. After that check craiglist.com or yard sales for quality used bikes in your area.
Old 06-01-08, 06:01 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need-A,

Welcome to the forum! Like some others have suggested, a trip to a local bike shop (LBS) is probably in order. You might find something in your size and price range on the floor. A few months ago I purchased a left over 2007 Trek 7300 for the price of a new 7200. The Trek 7000 is right in your price range.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 06-01-08, 07:48 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome! I started a little over your weight, and put close to 1,000 miles on a late 90's low-end Raleigh MTB before buying a new bike. Worked fine for me, what finally made me buy a new bike was a chaos of repairs - new tires, new chain, then two popped spokes in one day. I picked up a '07 Hardrock Sport when I was still over 400, and it's got about 2,500-3,000 miles on it, been great for me and I paid $349 for it new.

Now I'm down to 340, and I still love it - two years later. Granted it's had it's share of abuse related issues, just discovered yesterday that the rim is cracked around some of the spoke holes - I don't blame it too much, though. I mean seirously, $350 and I've ridden the thing like I stole it every time I've gotten on it, and it's only once left me stranded. Can't say that about my other bikes . I'd recommend one, just swap the tires with some Specialized Nimbus slicks and you're good.

As far as fit, you'll need AT LEAST a 21in frame, maybe even one of the 23's. I ride a 19, and at 6 2 it's almost too small for me.

The Sedonas are extremely popular around here - both locally and on bikeforms - as are the Trek 7x00 series. All are excellent choices and will serve you well. In your price range there are definitely options.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-08, 08:22 AM
Richard_Rides
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out on a mountain bike and at first I broke a spoke on my rear wheel EVERY TIME I went for a ride. I had the LBS rebuild the wheel with a heavy duty rim and Swiss DT spokes and that solved that problem for good. FYI
Old 06-01-08, 08:23 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdinger
I mean seirously, $350 and I've ridden the thing like I stole it every time I've gotten on it, and it's only once left me stranded. Can't say that about my other bikes .
+1 I've owned cars I can't say that about

Originally Posted by bdinger
The Sedonas are extremely popular around here - both locally and on bikeforms - as are the Trek 7x00 series. All are excellent choices and will serve you well. In your price range there are definitely options.

Good luck!
Exactly. Look around, get a bike and ride!
Old 06-01-08, 08:34 AM
jakereed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello and welcome!

When I first started out I was 410 at 6'5". If I had read this forum before buying my bike I would have purchased the Specialized Hardrock. I've read many good thing about that bike for people our size.
The bike I bought was a Trek Navigator 2.0, and broke the rear wheel, seatpost, pedals, saddle, and lastly even cracked the frame. Now I must say Trek has been fantastic on their warranty and I had everything fixed or replaced and kept on riding. but like I said, I wish I had read this forum first and got the Hardrock at the time. I am now down to 280 and upgrading to a Trek 7.3 FX next week.

Jake
Old 06-01-08, 08:49 AM
Trolley Guy

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look at the Trek 7.2FX. It goes for about 460.00 USD new. It doesn't have the front suspension fork, which at your weight will just be working against your pedaling effort anyway. It does have a suspension seatpost, which you could replace inexpensively. I'm sure there are other brands that offer equivalent models. Check craigslist too. As others have said, you may have to have your spokes and wheels worked on some. Good luck.
Old 06-01-08, 01:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
I started out at 375 on a Trek 7300 with the standard wheels set. They last a short time, but they have since changed the basic wheel set since I got mine. They are a great bike, but you really need to be sized and make sure what you get is fit for you. Have fun riding and post your adventures.

Old 06-01-08, 06:15 PM
Need-A-Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow guys thanks a million, one of my aint concerns is the handle bar, on the trek it seems as if the handle bar is too low (or is that just my wrong preception?) the sedona seems like a good fit but my LBS doesnt sell them!!!!!! thats the one i think i want, so idk i guess i gotta do some seaching, i wish there was a web site that had them, but it seems hard to find, and wow you guys weight lost are a HUGE inspiration...i cant wait to start riding, im strong willed and will be dedicated to it!
Old 06-01-08, 10:06 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Need-A-Bike
wow guys thanks a million, one of my aint concerns is the handle bar, on the trek it seems as if the handle bar is too low (or is that just my wrong preception?) the sedona seems like a good fit but my LBS doesnt sell them!!!!!! thats the one i think i want, so idk i guess i gotta do some seaching, i wish there was a web site that had them, but it seems hard to find, and wow you guys weight lost are a HUGE inspiration...i cant wait to start riding, im strong willed and will be dedicated to it!
Most modern bikes use a thread-less stem, there is a tube that runs from the fork up (called a steerer), the stem bolts around it, sometimes dealers cut the stem too short, making the bars too low, so they probably are too low, they just need to assemble a bike from the box and not cut the steerer. Best is to get them to leave the steerer uncut, and use several different sized spacers, then by moving the spacers around, you can change the bar height, until you get it perfect, then they can cut it. This should be S.O.P. at bike shops, but it isn't. It's easy to cut something shorter, it's impossible to cut it longer, which is why the golden rule in carpentry is measure twice, cut once.
Old 06-02-18, 04:52 PM
Rayleigh1122

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im roughly 380lbs and im looking for a bike that can take me to work and back around 5 miles one way. would any mountain bike do? around 500$
Old 06-04-18, 11:12 PM
SarahBeth

Bikes: Specialized Roll Low Entry - 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the bike mentioned in my profile. I went to my local bike shop and he told me about a gentleman your exact height and size who rode it daily last summer. He worked at the store as well. From my understanding he rode the heck out of it and wasn’t gentle. But the bike held up through his abuse. From that moment it’s been a go to recommendation for the salesperson for heavy riders since most aren’t doing what the other did. It’s very sturdy. Wide wheels and a smooth ride. The perfect bike to get back into the swing of things. And you don’t need to swap the tires out in the winter. Good luck!

Sarah
Old 07-10-19, 11:54 PM
Peter1016

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sarah Beth what bike are you talking about? I didn't see any bikes mentioned in your profile.
Old 07-11-19, 01:15 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter1016
Sarah Beth what bike are you talking about? I didn't see any bikes mentioned in your profile.
Right under her photo.....

Bikes: Specialized Roll Low Entry - 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)Tagged: 0 Thread(s)Quoted: 50 Post(s)Likes: 0Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-11-19, 01:18 AM
Peter1016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see nothing under her photo, maybe because I'm using a mobile device. What bike is it?
Old 07-11-19, 01:43 AM
WOT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
OP, regardless of what you buy at some point you’ll need to have some part of it replaced or repaired at your local bike shop.
If only for that fact you might as well go talk to them now. They may well have some experience that can help or save you money in the long term.
Top priority is to get a frame that fits you.
Old 07-11-19, 06:29 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter1016
I see nothing under her photo, maybe because I'm using a mobile device. What bike is it?
You responded to my post, so you obviously see that, right? I highlighted (dark black) her bike. It's what immediately follows "bikes:"

or, click this......https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...xoC4fMQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-11-19 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 08:14 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Need a Bike most MTB's are strong enough for heavy riders. Even used bikes MTB's on Craigslist will qualify. Older chromoly steel MTB's with solid forks are extremely durable and many have high end components from their era. Older bicycles may need rebuilding or major maintenance done but still can be very reasonable in price for the amount of service one can get from them. At our heavier weights wheel durability can be an issue. If you buy a bicycle and the wheels cause problems there are good blogs in here covering those problems.
Old 07-12-19, 08:19 PM
Peter1016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys, I went and picked up a L Norco bigfoot fatbike yesterday, not disappointed at all specially after I swapped out the seat for something more suiting my stature. 6k on it today, second day with it, haven't ridden a bike in about 23 yrs lol since about 12 yrs old. 350 lbs and dropping. Can't wait til I drop more and get to start really trail riding this bike. Got the entire family on bikes now.