Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Campy UT-CN300?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-16-19, 09:37 PM
cycling2012

Bikes: Merida x-fit 2010;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I want to shorten my cp super record 12s chain,my country dealer told me only use ut-cn300 to shorten 12s chain,no others work.
so is there any other replacement for campy ut-cn300?
Old 07-17-19, 07:47 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
To shorten a Campy chain, it's apparently OK to push out the old joining pin and put in a new one, but a new joining pin is never supposed to be installed on any other pair of outer plates. Those joining pins are pricey. I've always used a quick link, either the no-tools Wipperman, or a KMC. Then you can remove the outer plates with the joining pin and eliminate it.

The joining pin can be identified on the non-drive side of the chain. The end of the pin has a sharp indentation, where the tool peened the end of the pin.

I lot of people never use the Campy joining pin and use a quick link from the start. Then you don't need a special chain tool.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-17-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 02:32 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS

I lot of people never use the Campy joining pin and use a quick link from the start.
Guilty as charged.
Old 07-17-19, 03:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I lot of people never use the Campy joining pin and use a quick link from the start. Then you don't need a special chain tool.
You still need a chain tool (of some sort) to cut the new chain to size.
Old 07-17-19, 03:33 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
To shorten a Campy chain, it's apparently OK to push out the old joining pin and put in a new one, but a new joining pin is never supposed to be installed on any other pair of outer plates. Those joining pins are pricey. I've always used a quick link, either the no-tools Wipperman, or a KMC. Then you can remove the outer plates with the joining pin and eliminate it.

The joining pin can be identified on the non-drive side of the chain. The end of the pin has a sharp indentation, where the tool peened the end of the pin.

Actually, you shorten the chain from the end that finishes with an inner link so that the end finishes again with an inner link. The chain then has the other end with unused outer plates through which you push the joining pin

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-17-19 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 04:09 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Yes, but any chain tool will do. I ride with a Park CT-6.3 and a spare quick-link in my bag. Good enough to fix the chain on the side of the road and get home. I've only ever had to do it once, and that was with an 8-speed chain, but that makes the difference between getting home under your own power vs calling Uber.
Old 07-17-19, 06:42 PM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Actually, you shorten the chain from the end that finishes with an inner link so that the end finishes again with an inner link. The chain then has the other end with unused outer plates through which you push the joining pin
Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
Yes, but any chain tool will do. I ride with a Park CT-6.3 and a spare quick-link in my bag. Good enough to fix the chain on the side of the road and get home. I've only ever had to do it once, and that was with an 8-speed chain, but that makes the difference between getting home under your own power vs calling Uber.
so will local bike shop do it for me ? I ask two lbs,they don't have ut-cn300,they usally install shimano groupsets.
so will they have a solution for me?
the campy dealer told me that super record 12 speed chain won't be used quick link,is that right?
will sr 12s chain has a new joint pin in the package or I need buy a new joint pin ?
Old 07-17-19, 06:49 PM
CyclingFool95 

KMC Missing Link 12: for 12 Speed Chain, Silver, Perfectly Connecting KMC, SRAM, Shimano Chains, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTPYX49..._Gh8lDbCAKQKG2
Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 07-17-19, 07:17 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 444 Posts
KMC Missing Link 12: for 12 Speed Chain, Silver, Perfectly Connecting KMC, SRAM, Shimano Chains, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MTPYX49..._Gh8lDbCAKQKG2
This link might work, but it may be a little wide - 5.25mm rather than the proper 5.15mm. I have both campy 12 and the new sram axs 12 speed chain. The sram axs link is a bit too tight. It's better for the fit to be slightly loose. The sram eagle 12 might be a better fit. If the kmc chain is 5.25mm wide, it's really not a replacement for a Campy 12 or axs 12 chain.

Just about any chain tool can remove the campy joining pin, but use a decent fitting quick link when shortening the chain.

A new chain has a new joining pin, but you must have the campy tool to install it.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-17-19, 07:22 PM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This link might work, but it may be a little wide - 5.25mm rather than the proper 5.15mm. I have both campy 12 and the new sram axs 12 speed chain. The sram axs link is a bit too tight. It's better for the fit to be slightly loose. The sram eagle 12 might be a better fit. If the kmc chain is 5.25mm wide, it's really not a replacement for a Campy 12 or axs 12 chain.

Just about any chain tool can remove the campy joining pin, but use a decent fitting quick link when shortening the chain.

A new chain has a new joining pin, but you must have the campy tool to install it.
campy tool cn300 $120 for 2nd hand.......
too expensive......
Old 07-17-19, 07:48 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by cycling2012
so will local bike shop do it for me ? I ask two lbs,they don't have ut-cn300,they usally install shimano groupsets.
the campy dealer told me that super record 12 speed chain won't be used quick link,is that right?
will sr 12s chain has a new joint pin in the package or I need buy a new joint pin ?
Who will you trust? Post the contact info for your lbs so someone in this forum can ask them your questions for you.
Old 07-17-19, 07:50 PM
cycling2012

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Who will you trust? Post the contact info for your lbs so someone in this forum can ask them your questions for you.
maybe local bike shop helping me for profit,the people in the forum maybe not......
but lbs don't have tools..... and they don't know how to handle it.......
Old 07-17-19, 08:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by cycling2012
So find a shop that is familiar with Campagnolo components. There are KMC quicklinks that can be used, but you have to know how to install them. Shops that only know how to install Shimano components are not going to be helpful. Find one that is able to to deal with other manufacturers. The ut-cn300 is a tool. you have to know how to use it and its limitations. A really good bike mechanic can probably do the job using other tools that are available. Just having the tool is no guarantee that the shop actually knows how to use it. Campagnolo 12 speed is so new that very few shops will have worked with it, and very few will have expensive tools that may or may not be needed to install the component you are asking about

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-17-19 at 08:11 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-18-19, 04:18 AM
Palmer

Bikes: Dawes Double Blue, Vision R-42 SWB, Bacchetta Giro, Lemond Maillot Jaune, Lemond Washoe, Holdsworth Special, Gitane Champion du Monde, Bob Jackson World Tour, Bianchi Professional, Nashbar C/Tour

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park ct-4.3
Old 07-18-19, 05:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Palmer
Park ct-4.3
Yup.. that's what I would have suggested. Though you of course also need a 12s pin.
Old 07-18-19, 05:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

I'd try this at least first. KMC says width is 5.2mm and is supposedly suited for campy:

https://KMC 12-Speed ML
Old 07-18-19, 10:17 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Campy chains are a pain to connect using the recommended pins but its the price of admission. I usually connect the chain with the manufactures recommended system since they would be the ones who know the system the best. The Park tool works well and not crazy expensive. Chains are not something I play around with because if it breaks the results can range from catastrophic to inconvenient neither of which are worth the hassle.
Old 11-11-20, 09:32 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
I think you can use the Rohloff Revolver 3 chain tool as a roughly equal substitute for the Campagnolo UT-CN300, but you're not really saving any money with this option. I'm currently building an endurance bike with a Campagnolo Chorus groupset, so I'm in a similar situation. Do I take the plunge and purchase the UT-CN300 so I can do all my own chain maintenance? Or do I choose to rely on my LBS to provide chain service when I need it?

Honestly, the UT-CN300 is expensive and an "inconvenient" expense. However, the inconvenience of relying on my LBS for chain service will likely outweigh the cost of the tool. I think I'm buying the UT-CN300.
Old 11-11-20, 09:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would say go for an Abbey Decade but that is also not a cheap tool but probably the nicest chain tool I have ever put my hands on and they designed it so it will be a bit future proof with different bottom plates for all the new standards and crap that is coming out.