Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tips - hard-to-change tire -

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-16-19, 09:32 AM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Hello - I have a tire that is very hard to get off and back on. Please post tips for making this easier - including tips that can be done out on the road. I have never had this much trouble.
This is a 24" wheel on an older Terry bike, with the 24" x 1 " wheel in the front, and a 24x1 "520" Panaracer Pasela tire, with wire bead. I know because having used a screwdriver, I can see the bead.
There are very few road tire options for this wheel. After first getting it on the wheel, I thought it would loosen up a bit.
I used two different types of tire levers. I can get the first in, but not the second -not anywhere around the rim. A more narrow, thinner one should get in there, but the thinner and more narrow, the more the lever just bends. I had to get a flathead screwdriver tip in right where the first lever was in, then pull along. I could not improvise anything else - butterknife, etc. - anything else is too weak or too wide.
I cannot imagine having to fix a flat on the road with this. I was in my garage, and under no time pressure.

I am used to removing and getting tires back on entirely by hand, and maybe with one lever for tough jobs. So, I don't know how to do this.
BTW: I have a 24 x 1 1/8 mountain bike tire on the way to see if that is easier. Besides this removal problem, the Panaracer tire is fine.
Old 10-16-19, 09:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Consider using a paint can opener. Usually a 1.00 next to the house latex paint section in the home improv. stores. If it has any rough/sharp edges, be sure to polish those areas off to a smooth finish of the tool prior to using.
Old 10-16-19, 09:51 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I have a hard time with my Bontrager tires on Bontrager rims. I found that I had to be very careful to get the bead(s) that was already on the wheel into the very center of the rim. This gave me the best clearance for the part of the bead that wan't on the wheel.

Generally speaking, a screwdriver is frowned upon for mounting tires. Ideally, you can mount tires without a tool. Until I focused on centering the bead I would have scoffed at this, but now I can put the tires on without a tool. If you can see the wire that forms the bead, your tire may be compromised.

I bought Pedro's tire tools after reading recommendations here. They work pretty good.
Old 10-16-19, 10:05 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I have recommended Pedro plastic tire tools as well because of their strength relative to Park style or other
varieties of plastic tire tools. Their width may make use on a tight 520 sized wheel a bit problematic compared
with 622 sized wheels. Metal tools will score aluminum rims and raise sharp ridges on the rim, not a good
idea. I tried some plastic tools molded around a metal insert that worked for awhile but even those made a
mild dent in the rim edge, sans any sharp edge, but the plastic 'hook' that goes under the bead flattened out
after a year or so making them useless. Any tire tight enough to make insertion of one plastic tool difficult
means trying to get a second tool in will be impossible for most of us.

This tool https://www.nashbar.com/tyrekey-tire...rekey/p1007690 "might" be helpful, although
the product video showed its use on a tire that could probably have been installed by hand, but the tool looks
promising. Both Spin Doctor and Silca make reinforced tire tools that look to be narrow and strong. I have
used none of these.

One addition to your kit would be a small container of soap concentrate, which applied to the
rim and the bead facilitate removal but don't solve the problem of the bead repeatedly popping off the tool in
the first place.

Finally, since your tire selection is so poor, you might consider whether a 456 or 540 sized wheel could be fitted
as this might give you some more tire options. Depends on your fork/brake adjustability relative to the rim.

Last edited by sch; 10-16-19 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-16-19, 10:23 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
The times I've had a similar issue, the only thing that worked was to put two tools about six inches apart between the rim and tire and push down on both at the same time. Usually this will facilitate removal. Also, when the tire is at pressure, then goes flat, it seems to have "expanded" enough for easier removal. However, I wouldn't head out until the problem is solved. Saw an individual wrestle (with my assistance) for about an hour on the trail with a flat once, although he finally got it off.
Old 10-16-19, 02:01 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
One thing which might help would be to replace the thick cloth rim tape like Velox, if that is what you have, with a thinner tape like Continental Easy Tape, a couple of layers of Kapton tape or a layer of filament-reinforced packing tape.
The thinner tape will allow you top get the tire bead further down into the rim which will make getting the bead over the edge easier.
If you need any tools to mount/demount the tire you had better be sure you have them with you on the road or you will be stuck.
Old 10-16-19, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7342 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 1,426 Posts
The Kool Stop Tire Jack is a wonderful tool for this scenario.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-16-19, 02:10 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I've had luck with 3 or more levers and lubed with rubbing alcohol.
Old 10-16-19, 02:47 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
+1 for the Kool Stop Tire Jack.
Old 10-16-19, 02:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
reading the thin rim tape suggestion, it just dawned on me, that the trick of making sure the deflated tube/tire is well in the center channel before trying to get the tire onto the bead, would also be helpful getting it off the rim
Old 10-16-19, 03:59 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I had a tight fitted tire on my bike and punctured on a ride. It was a stiflingly hot humid day. I broke two tire levers trying to get that tire off. One of them was my VAR set. I forget how I finally got the tire off but I soon replaced it with one that wasn't nearly as tight. Now if I put a new tire on at home and it's really tight I take the tire back and get something different or I try the tire on a different wheel. I do NOT want the hassle of trying to remove a too tight tire on the road again. I suggest trying a different tire.

Cheers
Old 10-16-19, 04:24 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I bought a Kool Stop Tyre Jack and never looked back.
Old 10-16-19, 04:25 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I had a tight fitted tire on my bike and punctured on a ride. It was a stiflingly hot humid day. I broke two tire levers trying to get that tire off. One of them was my VAR set. I forget how I finally got the tire off but I soon replaced it with one that wasn't nearly as tight. Now if I put a new tire on at home and it's really tight I take the tire back and get something different or I try the tire on a different wheel. I do NOT want the hassle of trying to remove a too tight tire on the road again. I suggest trying a different tire.

Cheers
The OP problem in part is that the Panaracer is the ONLY tire found on google search for this size rim (520 rim, nominally 24"). I too had this problem on my first set of 406 rims, which turned out to be 1-2mm oversized. Finally got a 2d pair of wheels built and mostly do with the new rims.
Old 10-16-19, 05:14 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
+1 for Kool Stop.

We actually had a pair of tires that we could not install. They were super tight tires, on tubeless-ready rims. Fortunately the shop gave us a refund, as they had not touched pavement.
Old 10-16-19, 10:48 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Ditto on the recommendation of a thinner rim strip. Narrow tires on skinny rims need all the extra room they can get.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-17-19, 08:39 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Try using two tire levers at the same time - maybe ~1 spoke apart. If that doesn't get it freed up, try 2 spokes apart. Then a third tire lever just beyond where the bead wraps over the sidewall of the rim.
Old 10-17-19, 08:44 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
reading the thin rim tape suggestion, it just dawned on me, that the trick of making sure the deflated tube/tire is well in the center channel before trying to get the tire onto the bead, would also be helpful getting it off the rim
Yes. It is!
Old 10-17-19, 12:00 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Best lubricant for inner tubes is talcum powder. Use it liberally before installation. It is also possible to get it in there slowly while in process of removing a tire. Talc can make it seem like the tire just got 1/2" bigger. There is already talc inside the inner tube, might just as well use it on outside.

The lever that doesn't bend at all is the Lezyne alloy lever.
Old 10-17-19, 01:16 PM
PJay120

yes -

Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
thanks. yes, i have another tire ordered. it is a mountain bike tire, 1 1/8 x 24. --It would be a real change to have to be ready for this elaborate difficulty on the road. This is my son's bike - I want him to have pleasant experiences as he begins road riding with me. We are on Gulf Coast - hot humid most of the time. The hurricanes do cool things off for a couple days when they pass through, however.
Old 10-17-19, 01:24 PM
PJay120

oversized rim -

Originally Posted by sch
The OP problem in part is that the Panaracer is the ONLY tire found on google search for this size rim (520 rim, nominally 24"). I too had this problem on my first set of 406 rims, which turned out to be 1-2mm oversized. Finally got a 2d pair of wheels built and mostly do with the new rims.
thanks. in looking up this wheel size and tire, i came across a couple posts that made me wonder whether this particular wheel is a bit too big. The bike calls for a 24 x 1 wheel which should be a "520," and I have assumed this is a 520 I have. This is an older Terry with the 24" wheel in front / 700 in back. It is very possible neither wheel is original - we bought this from local cyclist who says his wife put a lot of miles on that bike, and he was something of a wrencher - bike mounted on decent bike stand when we went over to look at it.

There is a "540" standard wheel, as well - I believe the standard 540 tire is supposed to be 24 x 1.125. I am looking at Shelton Brown (RIP) info. I think i will check to see if wheel seems to be 520 or 540. getting a "520" tire on a "540" wheel would be something to put on my resume.

Last edited by PJay120; 10-17-19 at 01:28 PM. Reason: wrong word.
Old 10-17-19, 01:29 PM
PJay120

Hi - no go on that. I did get a second in fairly far away - when I got the screw driver in there and starting sliding along rim edge, that made it want to lap out, and things were easy from that point.
Old 10-17-19, 01:36 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I've the same problem. As fast as I try to lever the tire on to the rim, it moves off the rim in the other direction.....

BUT.... I have a fix!

Now I carry a length of parachute cord (2~3'). I wrap the cord around the rim and tire at a point where the tire is on the rim.
Now I only have to control one end of the tire, the other end can't jump the rim while I levering away.
I was about to cut up a new pair of Continentials with scissors in frustration until I tried this.

All the best

Barry

Barry
Old 10-18-19, 10:05 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I had Marathons that were the devil to remove and install. I used metal tools to remove them and the Kool Stop to install them. After the tires wore out I no longer buy them.
Old 10-18-19, 06:04 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
It's been said a few times but I can't say enough how much of a game changer patient and repeated pushing of the bead into the well of the rim makes