Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (II)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (II)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 01:13 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Training Status??? (II)

Starting a new one because the old one is laggy.

(Mods can you please lock it, it's slowing everything down).

I feel an elder statesman here should start it but no one has yet, and it takes too long for that thread to load. So sorry in advance.

Let it continue!

Mod Note: for anyone who wants to catch up from the old thread, it is here - https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=249271

Last edited by chipcom; 07-12-09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-12-09, 01:36 PM
dmb2786

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just drove 4 hours to miss a race. im gonna go rip the pedals off.
Old 07-12-09, 01:47 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dmb2786
i just drove 4 hours to miss a race. im gonna go rip the pedals off.

this afternoon, while my team and i were getting ready for our race, a guy came up and asked if we had a spare pair of shoes with us. he forgot to pack his.

when we said no, he asked if there was any spare room in the team car, so he could at least watch the race. sadly enough, there wasn't.

poor guy.
Old 07-12-09, 01:53 PM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just climbed up to La Turbie, then beyond to the Col de La Madone, and then zoomed down a la Stage 1 2009 Tdf or Stage 7 Paris Nice. Whichever you like.

THAT is a FUN FUN FUN descent.
Old 07-12-09, 03:01 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Training status: still old, fat, and slow. I'm not as fat and not as slow as last time, but I am even older. I can't do much about the last one.

Team training ride today, but I had to cut it short (grumble, grumble). After 32 miles they turned south and I headed home finishing with about 47 miles and 2.5 hours.

It was good to see teammate and Wunderkind Ben Page out on the team rides again. Ben is a perfect example of "it's not about the bike". He went from Cat 4 to Cat 2 in a couple of weekends on a BD Moto. He did have to replace the Chin Haur BB because it sheared off in the middle of a crit, though. He still rides the Moto and gets P/1/2 top 10's on it.
Old 07-12-09, 03:03 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few efforts this week. But not much until the race weekend.
Old 07-12-09, 03:36 PM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's racing quiet time in Texas. Just the weekly crits mostly. So my attention turns to what I call "reward rides" which are just long rides in the country, find new roads, goof with the buddies, no real training structure or intent.

Next weekend is my birthday so I've been mapping a special one.
Old 07-12-09, 03:48 PM
dmb2786

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
this afternoon, while my team and i were getting ready for our race, a guy came up and asked if we had a spare pair of shoes with us. he forgot to pack his.

when we said no, he asked if there was any spare room in the team car, so he could at least watch the race. sadly enough, there wasn't.

poor guy.
im not driving far for another race until i get a GPS. im not driving through DC ever again.
Old 07-12-09, 03:53 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
After riding 20 miles to the race then 15-ish back (was tired, used bus) the legs were sore today.

So I did an hour of light riding, 164w avg.

my race videos
Old 07-12-09, 04:22 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by DrWJODonnell
Just climbed up to La Turbie, then beyond to the Col de La Madone, and then zoomed down a la Stage 1 2009 Tdf or Stage 7 Paris Nice. Whichever you like.

THAT is a FUN FUN FUN descent.
Heh, fun!

I wish you had started this thread. I feel a little unworthy.

Heading out to ride for an hour and a half today. Frustrating race. Never doing that again.
Old 07-12-09, 04:41 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a 3' test and my lungs burn.

Thanks waterrockets.

I think I have a new FTP from the last 20" though. Which makes sense because this last week of riding seems to have higher than normal IF's for what I felt at the end of the ride. Up 10 watts to 260.

If it's true, I am 10 watts and 3 kg. from 4 watts/kg.
Old 07-12-09, 04:52 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
went for a ride on my "hilly" route and felt the best I have on the climbs. Unfortunately I came home and pigged out on mexican food.

Buy your bike parts here
Old 07-12-09, 05:21 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Tried to do 3 hours of SST. IF was only .757. I faded a little bit as the ride went on.

I'm not sure if 3 hours of SST is even possible? Anyway, it still felt like a good workout. Tomorrow is active recovery, about 30 minute slow spin.
Old 07-12-09, 05:32 PM
schnabler1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crit today, uphill sprints tomorrow. Started my second set of build phases last week, if you do the periodization thing.
Old 07-12-09, 05:36 PM
Flatballer
No matches

This thread is about 8000x faster than the old one, by the way. If only the database would automatically make a new instance of a thread and keep it seamless to the user...
Old 07-12-09, 05:39 PM
Ston_ar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still trying to get over a cold that has been hanging on for a bit. 2.5 hours of moderate riding today. First race of the season tomorrow
Old 07-12-09, 05:54 PM
johnybutts

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1st ride since my crash today... my leg is still leaking fluids, but it was my first ride on my cyclocross bike, very fun, will repeat. powertap wheel is being rebuilt, then ill be back on my severely scratched up tarmac, hopefully in time for wednesday's crit.
Old 07-12-09, 06:15 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flatballer
this thread is about 8000x faster than the old one, by the way. If only the database would automatically make a new instance of a thread and keep it seamless to the user...
+1
Old 07-12-09, 06:20 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Just got from the post frustrating crit ride.

I think I left it all out there. Few new bests.

New 5 sec record at 1313 w. Sprint is going towards 20w/kg. Current best is about 19.55w/kg. Just barely at Cat1 turf on the E-wang chart.

New 5 min at 309 w.

Also, 20 and 30 min NP were both at 271 W. LT was tested at 255, and FTP is set to 265 (coach told me so), and I think it may be up slightly.

Today wraps up a tough week of training:
12.5 hrs, 209 miles, 800 TSS, and 7237kj.
Bunch of hills in there. I think I'm going to start doing hill repeats more often, I love em in an oh so sick way.

As an aside:
Also a first, I almost hit 40 while sprinting. I hit like 39.5 or so. I think my sprint is strong, but I need to get more aero when I sprint. I can't pull up on the bars as much when I do that, but if it makes me sprint faster, I need to try it. Maybe I need to drop another spacer or two and see how that feels, since that might help a ton. Hopefully working on flexibility pays off.
Old 07-12-09, 06:24 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Tried to do 3 hours of SST. IF was only .757. I faded a little bit as the ride went on.

I'm not sure if 3 hours of SST is even possible? Anyway, it still felt like a good workout. Tomorrow is active recovery, about 30 minute slow spin.
3 hrs of SST seems a bit excessive and not worth it. I think you'll stress your body out too much.

One of the things that I've learned working with a coach is that it's great to go out and do a totally hard ride every so often, but when you're training in blocks your volume is very important. If you go do a really awesome hard ride, but can't train as hard as you need to the next day or two, then it might not have been the best idea.

Volume and intensity go hand in hand to make training efficient and structured.
Old 07-12-09, 06:24 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This thread, like its predecessor, is worthless without saying...

Training is for wussy
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-12-09, 06:32 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
3 hrs of SST seems a bit excessive and not worth it. I think you'll stress your body out too much.

One of the things that I've learned working with a coach is that it's great to go out and do a totally hard ride every so often, but when you're training in blocks your volume is very important. If you go do a really awesome hard ride, but can't train as hard as you need to the next day or two, then it might not have been the best idea.

Volume and intensity go hand in hand to make training efficient and structured.
Yeah, I thought it might be a bit much, but today is the end of my week, and tomorrow is a recovery ride. I figured I would go a little harder today since I can rest tomorrow. I guess I'll know Tuesday if it was too hard.

650 TSS for the week, and about 11 hours.
Old 07-12-09, 06:49 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Also a first, I almost hit 40 while sprinting. I hit like 39.5 or so. I think my sprint is strong, but I need to get more aero when I sprint. I can't pull up on the bars as much when I do that, but if it makes me sprint faster, I need to try it. Maybe I need to drop another spacer or two and see how that feels, since that might help a ton. Hopefully working on flexibility pays off.
See, I told you! I know you can do it.

Aero is very important. There is a lot of drag at 40 mph.
Old 07-12-09, 06:54 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
team-mate of mine has a son on a pro team who is coaching him. I am trying some of that pro medicine... 1 minute all out intervals OUCH -- kind of like pulling a chase-line for a minute.
Old 07-12-09, 06:59 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Yeah, I thought it might be a bit much, but today is the end of my week, and tomorrow is a recovery ride. I figured I would go a little harder today since I can rest tomorrow. I guess I'll know Tuesday if it was too hard.

650 TSS for the week, and about 11 hours.
Yeah, I overdid my workout on thursday.

I was supposed to do 3 hrs with some tempo and LT, but I ended up doing over an hour of tempo and tons of LT (hill climbs). I rode with a friend and we had a blast 'racing' each other around certain areas. He bet me that I couldn't climb a certain hill in my big ring, and I tried to and promptly blew up about 80 meters from the finish. That was really sad.

Good day for strength training, but even with recover friday and leg openers saturday, I wasn't as rested as I should have been for todays race. I don't really care though. I'll make it up next weekend.

The ride I did after getting home was great for venting frustration though!

Rest day tomorrow, and training crit on tues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.