Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

5'10 on 54cm specialized roubaix

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-01-16, 03:45 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts

Hello all

Just curious what kind of opinions y'all have about someone my size riding a 54cm roubaix, I was looking at a used 2011 model... my current bikes are all older traditional flat top tube road and touring bikes, both measure 55cm centre of BB to centre of top tube. I never had issues with my road bike from the fit but the ride was fairly harsh.

I'm interested in riding longer distances with a bit more speed than I manage on my miyata 1000. I set it up with the French fit results (from competitive cyclist calc.) and it seems to have mostly worked for me so far. Previously I had the saddle too far back and I think that was the cause of a pulled calf muscle. I pulled the same again a few weeks ago on a 135km populaire but I managed to finish before it got as bad as it did last year. I felt good enough to go out and do 50km yesterday on the miyata with the saddle as far forward as I can get it without an inline seatpost and I didn't have any pain afterward or this morning so it seems I'm in the ballpark with that bike now.

Here's the measurements my partner took of me for the competitive cyclists' fit calculator
Inseam: 31.75
Trunk: 26.5
Forearm: 14
Arm: 26.5
Thigh: 23
Lower Leg: 22
Sternal Notch: 57.5
Total Body Height: 69.5

I've always felt that I have shorter legs and a longer torso so I am kind of confused if I should size down and get a longer stem or go the opposite route.
Old 05-01-16, 03:51 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a more upright fit, buy a larger bike. If you are in good shape and want a lot of drop between your saddle and handlebar, go with a smaller size. Either way, I recommend being able to stand over it. I'd rather have an upright stem or more headset spacers than ride a frame so big that I couldn't stand over it.
Old 05-01-16, 03:53 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike seems to be your size. I'm your height and prefer to ride 54s or 56s. But I'm opposite of you, I have long legs. Your inseam is a bit short for your height, but that'd typically mean you'd want a bigger bike, to accommodate your "longer than average" torso and arms. I think you're on the right size bike though. It'll just take a while to get it set up just like you want it.

However, the fact that you have to put the saddle all of the way forward is worrying. Maybe other's will chime in.
Old 05-01-16, 04:54 PM
clasher

I just took the bike for a quick spin since the seller was around. I stood over it with no problem and it seemed to fit well for a more upright seating position. The ride wasn't long since it was getting dark and cold. I got the seat high enough, I would say I'm in decent shape with only a little bit of pudge left around the midsection, certainly no beer belly or flexibility issues.

Here's the miyata for a look of where I've got the saddle now. I used a level to put pencil lines on the top tube and it looks like the saddle could still come forward to get my setback to what the calculator says it should be. Last year it was probably back at least an inch if not more.
Old 05-02-16, 12:11 AM
American Euchre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corrado33
The bike seems to be your size. I'm your height and prefer to ride 54s or 56s. But I'm opposite of you, I have long legs. Your inseam is a bit short for your height, but that'd typically mean you'd want a bigger bike, to accommodate your "longer than average" torso and arms. I think you're on the right size bike though. It'll just take a while to get it set up just like you want it.

However, the fact that you have to put the saddle all of the way forward is worrying. Maybe other's will chime in.
If he has a longer torso, he should go with a 56 with it's longer top tube.
Old 05-02-16, 10:42 AM
clasher

I found a picture of the 2011 geometry measured out and explained a bit clearer.

Given the numbers that the competitive cyclist calculator gave me for an eddy fit:
Top Tube Length 56.9 - 57.3 Cm
Seat Tube Range CC 53.4 - 53.9 Cm
Seat Tube Range CT 55 - 55.5 Cm
Stem Length 10.4 - 11 Cm
BB Saddle Position 74.6 - 76.6 Cm
Saddle Handlebar 55.5 - 56.1 Cm
Saddle Setback 4.2 - 4.6 Cm
Saddle Setback
Seatpost Type Not Setback

It seems to me the 54cm roubaix might need new parts to work ideally. Looks like I'd need a longer seatpost and stem to get myself in the right place. I know the geometry is a lot different but I tried a '09 tarmac and it immediately felt too big but part of that was the wide bars. I think I am going to shell out and get a professional fit before I drop any money on a new bike.

Thanks for all the replies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Spec_RoubaixSL3_F0000211.jpg (106.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-02-16, 09:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
It should work with proper fiddling with stem and seatpost. Remember that you don't have to keep what came on the bike.

One point that amateur fitters often miss on is that short-legged riders are a lot closer to the ground after they tilt their torsos into a road cycling position. Put them on a bike that's too tall up front and they might as well be riding Townies. A 54 cm Roubaix has all the stack you'll ever need, especially considering the stem options that are available. And with all the stem options that are available, you should have no problem dialing in your desired reach. Happy trails.
Old 05-03-16, 02:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Neo brifter like brakes and old long ramp Randonneur bars are an Odd Mix.
Old 05-03-16, 02:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It should work with proper fiddling with stem and seatpost. Remember that you don't have to keep what came on the bike.

One point that amateur fitters often miss on is that short-legged riders are a lot closer to the ground after they tilt their torsos into a road cycling position. Put them on a bike that's too tall up front and they might as well be riding Townies. A 54 cm Roubaix has all the stack you'll ever need, especially considering the stem options that are available. And with all the stem options that are available, you should have no problem dialing in your desired reach. Happy trails.
I agree. I'm also 5'10" and short legged. I prefer a pretty aggressive fit and have always felt more comfortable with the smaller frame and longer stem.
Old 05-31-16, 06:40 AM
clasher

Well for anyone that is curious or in a similar spot, I ended up going with the 54cm Roubaix. It's been a wicked bike (first carbon for me) so far and I think the fit is pretty good. I did put a 120mm stem on it and another spacer but it's been so good to me that I did a 200k brevet on it without any of the pain that I was getting on my larger Miyata 1000. The stock seatpost worked fine but I need to buy some carbon paste since it slips a tiny bit. Might swap out the wheels for the open pros that are on the miyata since the aksiums are almost the same weight. I'm going to try a different saddle; the one on the Specialized doesn't seem wide enough.

[/url]
Old 05-31-16, 07:03 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice. I'm 5'10 (81.5 / 32" inseam) and ride a 54cm Roubaix SL4. Fits well with the stock components. I first had a Romin Evo saddle that I put on from my old bike, but ended up with a Toupe 143 to tweak the fit (since it was much easier to get to exactly 0 degrees level)...and planned to go back once I was sure everything was dialed in, but will probably just end up leaving the Toupe on.