Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon clinchers: lifespan under best-use scenario?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 11:00 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I think it would be fair to say that the carbon clinchers of 5-10 years ago aren't on par with what's out there today, giving this conversation new life. That, and, I've never really heard a manufacturer share longevity testing data or an end-user say when they wore a set of carbon rims out.

In my case, I ride 7-9k miles a year, 99.99% of it in dry conditions, and live in a region where even in all those annual miles, I might spend a grand total of five minutes actually applying the brakes and less than 5% of that hard downhill pulsing, if I had to guess. Most discussions on this topic are filled with responses in which folks are delighted that their carbon rims have lasted for 5,000 miles or so, but would it be truly unreasonable for someone taking good care of their carbon rims in a flat region for them to last 40, 50, 60 thousand miles of use? Has anyone actually beaten a set of the early carbon rims into retirement, or legitimately worn a set of more recent rims out that can put a number range on this?

I like to ride mine daily, as I think most do, but I also carry around a little anxiety about wearing them out in short order, thus this post.
Old 12-28-16, 06:39 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I think it depends on rim-brake or disc-brake. A rim-brake wheelset will be subject to friction whereas disc-brake wheel set will not. I can't think of a reason a disc-specific wheelset would NOT have an indefinite lifespan...at least that's my hope, given the $3,000 I just spent.

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 12-28-16 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-28-16, 06:51 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I think it depends on rim-brake or disc-brake. A rim-brake wheelset will be subject to friction whereas disc-brake wheel set will not. I can't think of a reason a disc-specific wheelset would NOT have an indefinite lifespan...at least that's my hope, given the $3,000 I just spent.
Fify

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-28-16, 06:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Your rims will last as long as they last. Then you will know the answer, and it will be irrefutable, unlike what you get here. It is called real-time testing.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-28-16, 08:27 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have a set of carbon rims with almost 19,000 miles and they look almost new, maybe new if I wash them good.
Old 12-28-16, 08:58 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
if you aren't descending into switchbacks they will last indefinitely.
Old 12-28-16, 11:31 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I treat my carbon wheels like crap. Ride them in the rain, on gravel roads, down windy brake laden descents, and they have been solid. 20+ thousand miles on them so far. Still true and maintenance has been limited to changing out hub bearings a couple of times.
Old 12-28-16, 12:29 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It's really a thing with too many variables to answer. Same holds true with aluminum FWIW.

Being in the business long enough I have had the pleasure of being able to finally replace rims that were worn out through normal use. I am also entering my 7-8th year of building/business.

I have seen some of my early ones that still look brand new and are used daily, and I have seen a pro rider take a brand new set and wear through most of the sidewall in one race (cyclocross in horrible conditions).

It's kind of like asking how long anything lasts. Depends on the user and the use it sees.

Old 12-28-16, 12:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Has anyone actually beaten a set of the early carbon rims into retirement, or legitimately worn a set of more recent rims out that can put a number range on this?
No but I have a set of 404 rims that were given to me for free because the brake track is worn out. I said "don't throw those out, Calfee or someone can probably build the brake surface back up for you." He told me to let him know if it works.
Old 12-30-16, 12:25 AM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It's really a thing with too many variables to answer. Same holds true with aluminum FWIW.

Being in the business long enough I have had the pleasure of being able to finally replace rims that were worn out through normal use. I am also entering my 7-8th year of building/business.

I have seen some of my early ones that still look brand new and are used daily, and I have seen a pro rider take a brand new set and wear through most of the sidewall in one race (cyclocross in horrible conditions).

It's kind of like asking how long anything lasts. Depends on the user and the use it sees.
Certainly there are variables, but as the title implies, I'm questioning the longevity of rims that are meticulously cared for, but ridden a lot. No diving down mountains, no riding in downpours, not riding with sandy, dirty brake pads, no cyclocross use, and relatively low application time.