Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Dealing with a fully fused spine

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 06:13 PM
Chadden

Bikes: 2012 Felt q620, 2015 Felt v95f

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dealing with a fully fused spine

Hi everyone

I have the upper half of my spine fused because of Scoliosis, and now the doctor wants to fuse the lower half because of scoliosis as well. The operation won't be for a few years but I want to sell my bike now while it's still worth a little bit and upgrade into a bike that's will work for both pre-op and post-op. I'm looking at either a Men's Hybrid or a Men's 29" Mountain Bike. I am currently 6'1" but I'm probably going to grow a few inches after surgery). My budget is around $600 and I'd like something on par with my current bike. Most of the riding I do is light trails.

My current bike: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...06&model=58665 (I got a $300 offer on it already but I need to decide now)

Mountain bikes I was looking at

Felt Bicycles | NINE 80

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../2016600-2017/

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...pper-29/115566

*Fuji Bikes | Nevada 1.9

*Fuji Bikes | Nevada 1.7

*Fuji Bikes | Nevada 1.5

*same model but I don't quite know the differences

Other I was looking at which may be better on my back:

Felt Bicycles | Verza Cafe 24 Deluxe Men

Felt Bicycles | Verza Path 30

Fuji Bikes | Crosstown 1.1

Fuji Bikes | Crosstown 1.3

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Old 05-07-17, 03:30 AM
Leon_LovesLycra

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also going in for spinal fusion because of scoliosis! I am not sure when, but I have been put on the waiting list and we have private health insurance so it shouldn't be too long. I just hope I will actually be able to ride a road bike again as cycling means a lot to me.
As far as suggesting a bike to you, I am not a MTB person, but I have heard good things about Specialized Rockhoppers.
Old 05-07-17, 08:40 PM
Chadden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leon_LovesLycra
I am also going in for spinal fusion because of scoliosis! I am not sure when, but I have been put on the waiting list and we have private health insurance so it shouldn't be too long. I just hope I will actually be able to ride a road bike again as cycling means a lot to me.
As far as suggesting a bike to you, I am not a MTB person, but I have heard good things about Specialized Rockhoppers.
I was also an avid road cyclist before my surgery. I can't ride road bikes anymore unfortunately, but I replaced the z85 with a v95f and I'm happy. Where are you getting the fusion? I won't even be able to ride the v95f after my next surgery without some modifications.

I know you said you aren't a MTB person, but I picked up a Cannondale Cujo 3. It works beautifully both on and off the road (New Hampshire isn't exactly known for our bountaful amount of road to ride on, so the 3" tires allow me to ride in the ditch), and have parts to modify it post op to work for me.

I would look into Felt's Verza series for road bikes if your lower back isn't being fused.
Old 05-08-17, 12:47 AM
Leon_LovesLycra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadden
I was also an avid road cyclist before my surgery. I can't ride road bikes anymore unfortunately, but I replaced the z85 with a v95f and I'm happy. Where are you getting the fusion? I won't even be able to ride the v95f after my next surgery without some modifications.

I know you said you aren't a MTB person, but I picked up a Cannondale Cujo 3. It works beautifully both on and off the road (New Hampshire isn't exactly known for our bountaful amount of road to ride on, so the 3" tires allow me to ride in the ditch), and have parts to modify it post op to work for me.

I would look into Felt's Verza series for road bikes if your lower back isn't being fused.
So you can't ride road bikes at all? My lower back isn't going to be fused, only my thoracic spine. I sat on a road bike that had a more upright riding position, and it seemed pretty good - my spine was straight. Why couldn't you ride road bikes? Couldn't you fit on them or did they cause you too much pain?
Old 05-08-17, 03:11 PM
Chadden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leon_LovesLycra
So you can't ride road bikes at all? My lower back isn't going to be fused, only my thoracic spine. I sat on a road bike that had a more upright riding position, and it seemed pretty good - my spine was straight. Why couldn't you ride road bikes? Couldn't you fit on them or did they cause you too much pain?
I should have mentioned this in my previous reply.

My z85 was a medium frame, and I grew 3 inches as a result of the surgery, so I needed a large or XL frame. I also have 2 lower curves (both of which will be fused within a few years). If you aren't getting your lower back fused and don't have curvature there, you will probably be fine.
Old 05-12-17, 02:08 AM
Leon_LovesLycra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadden
I should have mentioned this in my previous reply.

My z85 was a medium frame, and I grew 3 inches as a result of the surgery, so I needed a large or XL frame. I also have 2 lower curves (both of which will be fused within a few years). If you aren't getting your lower back fused and don't have curvature there, you will probably be fine.
I just bought an adjustable stem for my bike and it works amazingly well. My spine is completely straight, even when I am using the drops. I was worried that I would have to fork out a couple of grand for a custom frame but this works very, very well.

Did you ever try raising the bars?
Old 05-12-17, 10:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A Dutch OPa or a comfy recumbent in consideration?

Among the brands my LBS carries is Trek & Felt.. I again say it's better to go first ..
to the Bike Shop you like doing business with then get a bike from them.

Rather than just find bikes on the internet, and ask for comparisons.. Performance bike ships Fujis direct?

Many Bikes ship out of a few OEM Factories that make many brands for the brand name owning importer.

so there are those similarities.. Cost of component groups are a part of the price points..

In your situation you benefit from the personal service of a good bike shop, more than picking brand Y over brand X.

A long time friend has been coping with Scoliosis thru his life it is from knowing how he coped, that reinforces the
statement on the fit and service matters more than what bike you see on your monitor.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-12-17 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 07:34 PM
Chadden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE

So I went to my local bike shop, and ended up picking up a Cannondale Cujo 3. The owner said post-op I should talk to him about upgrading and modifying it. We went through different neck and handlebar combinations and wrote everything we found down so after surgery I can easily buy the parts.