Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Parking for Apartment Living (Columbia, MD)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 02:59 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I am planning to relocate to the referenced area for work. I probably will not be able to afford a place with a garage. It seems that some, if not all, complexes, will not list bicycle parking as an amenity. What should I expect?
Old 01-11-18, 07:44 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
They're never secure anyway. From external cages to internal communal storage rooms, they just get broken into and rinsed.

I have to carry a 90 lb e-bike up three floors of stairs to my apartment, but not for five minutes would I leave it downstairs.
Old 01-11-18, 07:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Expect to keep your bike in your apartment where it'll be safe.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-11-18, 07:56 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have 5 bikes in my apartment currently, soon to be 4. There is no way that any of them would sit outside for any amount of time. You may want to try to get something light enough to carry if you are going to be taking the stairs a lot. There is no way I would be carrying a 90lb e-bike up and down 3 flights of stairs. No. Way.
Old 01-12-18, 09:50 AM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May want a case with a case with a zipper to lock in any dirt.
Old 01-12-18, 10:11 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I agree with the others - Keep your bike in your apartment by the front door.
Old 01-12-18, 10:50 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Get a rack. Hang it on the wall in your apartment to get the bike up off the floor, keep the bike inside.

Nothing wrong with keeping a bike on the floor. It just uses up floor space. A nice wall rack keeps it out of the way. It you have a hallway in the apartment it's perfect. That's an area where you don't put stuff anyway.

Leaving it outside or in the stairwell or anyplace outside your own locked door is a mistake.
Old 01-12-18, 11:09 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My close friend lives in a beautiful condo where ~60 really bikes are always in racks in the locked parking garage. They also have a live compressed air hose nearby and handy. They never have a problem.

Like others, my bike is always kept safe indoors.
Old 01-22-18, 09:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Four bikes inside my apartment, three of them lining the hallway by the front door. I have another two outside on the patio. If we had a bike parking amenity I'm not sure that I'd use it, because it's so convenient to just roll out the door and go. I don't see it as something to be concerned about.

I put some rugged carpet throw rugs underneath them, no need for zipper covers etc.
Old 01-22-18, 09:28 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Columbia was built as a planned community with houses with many common features, so it might be worth signing up at the NextDoor group for Columbia and asking for recommendations from cyclists who live there.
Old 01-28-18, 05:22 PM
odiolalluvia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get a wall hanger and hang your bike in your apartment. Be sure to drill into a stud. Even if the internet leads you to believe big enough toggle bolts will allow you to hang your bike from drywall, don't do it. Trust me, they won't. I learned that the hard way.
Old 01-28-18, 07:29 PM
kodythekolt307

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in an apartment and I lock my bike to the fence in my backyard. There is a metal part that I wrap one lock around. I place my bike on the fence and with another lock I run it through the tire and through the first lock. Then I take a cable and run that through the first lock before I lock it. I take the saddle out of the post. I stuff a plastic shopping bag down the cavity to try and prevent rain getting in. I keep all my bike bags and saddle in the trunk of my car that way I only have to grab my bike and go. During the winter my bike lives in my mom's garage.
Old 01-28-18, 08:00 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Among the other ideas mentioned here, I was looking for a way to keep the muck from my bike from damaging the carpet in my office at work during the winter months. I ended up getting a couple of boot trays from Target. They are large plastic trays that are pretty cheap, and have enough capacity to do the job. One for each wheel, arranged so that one of the trays also catches drip from the bottom bracket.
Old 01-28-18, 10:06 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Good thought on the boot trays. Aldi had those on sale for about 5 bucks a few weeks ago.
Old 02-08-18, 01:13 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by eric044
Hi,

I am planning to relocate to the referenced area for work. I probably will not be able to afford a place with a garage. It seems that some, if not all, complexes, will not list bicycle parking as an amenity. What should I expect?
Eric, Columbia is in Howard County(one county north of me), MD. A lot of the apartment complexes no longer have garages IF, the complex is no taller than three floors. Just has open-covered parking for vehicles.

If the complex has more than three floors, you will only see uncovered parking for vehicles.

Find out from the complex, if you can keep your bike inside the apartment.

I say all that, not only because I live in the region. But also, when I lived in Duluth(Minnesota; 2002-2007), I moved into a fourteen-story building at one point. I asked building management where I could lock up my (road)racing bike. Since they only had an outdoor parking lot behind the building. I told them that was unacceptable. Since my bike, other than my feet n' public transport, was my only way(I can't drive for medical reasons) of getting around. The building management finally buckled. So, I kept my bike in my apartment.

But in the DC-Metro and Baltimore-Metro regions, bikes are only thought of as a commodity. Not a form of transport.

In this region of the US. A bike locked up outside, or in an open parking garage, overnight. Won't be there in the morning. Keep it in the apartment.

Last edited by Chris0516; 02-08-18 at 01:22 AM.