Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Any Grail owners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 07:52 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Found this video on youtube, might be helpful with the lights:

Dave
Old 09-03-19, 01:12 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I use lights that have highly flexible silicone straps so I can mount it to an odd shaped bar (or to my helmet). This is an example of a light that has a full silicone mounting system, so it can conform to any reasonable shape.

For old style lights (or when above does not work), I wrapped one wrap of handlebar tape where I put the device, and then on the mounting strap, I build up the layers of handlebar tape to smooth out the curvature of the mounting strap that attaches to the handlebar.

FYI, I have an Inflite, but something similar could work for you.
Old 09-03-19, 02:21 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I figured that if I were to have a hover bar then I'd have to rig some kind of way to build up around the flat section of it. I thought of maybe taking a thick, cylindrical piece of rubber and cutting it in half, then sandwich the flat part of hover bar in between and tape the hell out if, allowing me to attach lights around it. Earlier I tried to get the aluminum grail with normal handlebars but it was a cluster so I *might* get one of the CF ones but they all have hover bar. I don't want to spend more money on lights or computers since I just bought new lights this year and my 13 year old Blackburn Delphi computer does all that I need.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-19, 01:29 PM
chas58

Yep, I use some of that pipe insulating foam if I need more to wrap around. I either put a wrap of electrical tape around it, or better yet, velcro. But with a bi-plane hover bar, don't you have more realestate to hang things off of?

For what it is worth, the new "entry level" Carbon (SL) Inflite sold in Europe comes with normal handle bars. Its good to see that option. Guess it would be kinda hard to implement on a Grail though.
Old 09-04-19, 03:25 PM
Junkbeast

As far as more real estate, I dunno. There's that lower bar but it's shaped funny and seems too large to wrap things around. It's really hard having never touched one in person to get a scale of the thing. I'd love to try the hover bar and a Canyon in general but the headache of mounting peripherals is holding me back right now.
Old 09-09-19, 01:57 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I have an out-front mount for my Wahoo Bolt and GoPro style mount under that for the light. Very clean and no bootleg straps, wraps, etc.
Old 09-10-19, 09:31 AM
Junkbeast

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I have an out-front mount for my Wahoo Bolt and GoPro style mount under that for the light. Very clean and no bootleg straps, wraps, etc.
Are you able to provide some pics or links to the mounts you use, please?
Old 09-10-19, 11:48 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Junkbeast
Are you able to provide some pics or links to the mounts you use, please?
The out-front mount is from Wahoo - they make a Canyon-to-Bolt mount - https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices...nt-bolt-aero-2
Then, I attached a GoPro mount under the computer mount. Pro Tip: Always mount the light as far inboard as possible - keeps the whole setup from jiggling.

Last edited by Zaskar; 09-10-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 02:17 PM
Junkbeast

Holy crap I even have the same light now! How uncanny. I don't have fancy new computer like that but am not opposed to getting one in the future Thanks a lot! This really will help me get closer to a decision.
Old 09-12-19, 02:18 AM
Speedldew

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the hoverbar - it only dampens the grip position on the tops and not the drops or hoods which will be your primary handposition. Also there is barely any adjustability for the hoverbar and if any issues like neck/shoulder/wrist pain pop up after longer rides you're most likely screwed. I prefer the concept of something like the Trek Checkpoint SL which focuses on compliance in the seatpost with their IsoSpeed tech. And if you want the front to be suspended, you could upgrade to a Redshift suspension stem - this will likely do a much better job of smoothing out the ride anyway and the suspension is actually adjustable. I have that combination as well and it's awesome! I do have some issues with neck pain atm, but at least I have tons of ways to adjust the bikefit till it's gone. And you actually could suspend the rear of almost any other Gravelbike with an extra flexible carbon seatpost like The Ergon CF3 or the Canyon S15 VCLS 2.0 CF.
Old 09-16-19, 06:06 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Speedldew
Personally I'm not a huge fan of the hoverbar.
What did you think about the Hoverbar after riding a Grail?
Old 09-16-19, 08:48 AM
chas58

It sounds like speedl would love the AL Grail. Interest

It does seem to be the fashion to have integrated cockpit on the high end builds these days (I love mine). But Canyon did put a standard cockpit ont the Carbon Inflite, eventually. I would like to see them do this on the Carbon Grail, but that would probably be a pretty funny looking setup that way too.
Old 09-17-19, 06:11 AM
Zaskar

The more technical the single track and the faster the gravel decent, the more I LOVE that Hoverbar. I automatically go to the drops when the trail gets "fun" and that mid-grip cross bar is awesome. Hooking my thumbs around that adds a lot of grip confidence (wow, that sounds like some NFL commentator bullsh t like "ball security") Anyway... The reviews matched my experience exactly - "Odd looking... love it on the ride"
Old 09-18-19, 08:48 PM
Junkbeast

I got the 2019 Grail AL 7.0 today; the last green one left apparently. If the 2020 is some kind of matte navy blue I'll be pissed.

Anyway, I put it together but only got to test it around the block a couple times while messing with the seatpost height. I need to get the bars right still, too. The Canyon measurement system seems good enough and the L feels right even though I assumed an XL. My left pedal on my old bike was seized and caused a delay, and I now wish they were black because they clash with all the black accents on this new bike. It's only the aluminum model but it's quite a bit lighter than my old bike. I'm not in love with the tires so I'll probably put my 35mm X'Plor USHs on for the rest of my season (about 6 more weeks). Tomorrow I'll put my lights and sensors on the new bike and ride it for real.

I've been wanting a new bike for at least 7 years--a drop bar bike--and I can finally retire my trusty 2006 Trek 7.3FX; the shifting is spotty, the brakes are weak, it's heavy, and the bottom bracket is super chirpy now. It's got tens of thousands of miles and some original components still, so it's a lame horse but it held up well. I hope the Grail exhibits a similar level of service. I hope it doesn't take too long to adapt to the shifting/brakes vs. the mountain bike style on my Trek.
Old 09-23-19, 04:50 PM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
I've been riding the Grail CF 8.0 SL for the past 6 months. Awesome bike. Very comfortable on gravel and paved roads. I actually bought a second wheelset with smooth tyres and I ride with it all the time with my local groups.

In summary, it's agile, fast, fun, and very comfortable. I've ridden close to 1500 miles since I bought it before the summer. Took it on 2 back to back century rides on the road and was really amazed at how comfortable I was throughout the whole ride. I've ridden it over a couple of long gravel rides (50 - 80 miles in one ride). With the proper tire pressure (tubeless is the way to go), the hover bar, and the suspension seat post, the ride over a rough gravel road becomes bearable.

One small regret that I have is the inability for the bike to have an aero bar installed. I'd like to take this bike to dirty kanza next year, and I heard that having an aero bar can provide extra help to combat the challenging headwind. But other people have survived riding in the Kanza without it, so I'll still attempt to ride it next year.

Great bike, in overall. Very happy with my purchase and with Canyon's awesome customer service (I returned my first bike to upgrade to the CF model. The return process was painless and smooth).
Old 10-18-19, 08:19 AM
barefootitalian

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I've been happily riding my carbon Grail since mid August. 1000+km. Fantastic bike.
Does anyone know what is the absolutely max. tyre width that can be mounted? I think at Canyon's they say 42mm but I notice there's more room left...
Do you reckon 45mm would be feasible?
Thanks,
B.
Old 10-18-19, 09:26 AM
chas58

Here is an idea. Buy one 45mm. It will fit on the front (I run 54mm sometimes). Try it on the back. If it doesn't fit in the rear - just use it on the front. If it does fit on the rear go ahead and order the second one. If not, size down a little. (That is what I have done).
Old 10-18-19, 09:46 AM
barefootitalian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, good tip that one!
Any skinwall 45mm tyre you'd advise?
Fast, mixed gravel/asphalt.
Thanks
B.
PS: which 54mm, by the way?
Old 10-18-19, 01:28 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by barefootitalian
Hey, good tip that one!
Any skinwall 45mm tyre you'd advise?
Fast, mixed gravel/asphalt.
Thanks
B.
PS: which 54mm, by the way?
If I was going to choose a 45 - I would probably get a WTB riddler or resolute (in reality they are the same size even though they are labeled 45 and 45, so there's that). They have tan sidewalls. Maxxis Rambler 45mm is an option if you want something light and fast - that is a blackwall though.

the 54 is a Schwalbe Thunder Burt. Good for single track and fast gravel. It also slackens out my head angle a little bit and adds a lot to my trail. I'm on the Cross version of the Grail (I'm on an inflite) so the trail is nice for the rougher stuff. You should have a similar fork, but I'm a little tighter in the rear triangle. The clearance is very tight though. It rubs if I put too much air in it. ;-)

This time of year I'm using a 50mm Schwalbe Furious Fred on the front. Its very fast on fast gravel rides (sprints about 35mph) and does great in Cyclocross (if its not too muddy). Its lighter than most all of the 33mm cyclocross tires, which is crazy for a 50mm tire.
Old 10-18-19, 02:07 PM
barefootitalian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That’s great advice. Thanks. On a side note: has anyone tried to put any more spacers between handlebar and fork than the two max allowed according to Canyon?
Old 10-20-19, 07:11 AM
Vancemcc

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
How are people attaching lights or computers to the hover bar? I see they have the undermount thing for a Garmin, but what if I want to use my tiny old computer with a round shaped mount?
Don't know if it would work for yours but I mounted a Garmin edge on the flat "flex area" of the hover bar. I used a round mount and attached it with 2 rubber bands that all came with the garmin. I has worked well so far, I would have bought the under mount but they were out of stock when I ordered my bike a few weeks ago. The bike also comes with a front reflector that has an oblong bracket to attach to the flat profile of the lower bar. It could def be modified and attached to a light bracket with minimal effort.
Old 10-21-19, 10:08 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by barefootitalian
That’s great advice. Thanks. On a side note: has anyone tried to put any more spacers between handlebar and fork than the two max allowed according to Canyon?
you are limited to how high you go by the length of the steerer tube. (so, answer is no).
Old 10-21-19, 01:56 PM
barefootitalian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks.