Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp vs 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-02-19, 09:00 PM
kb40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to road biking. I just starting doing triathlons and am hooked. I borrowed a girls bike (I'm a guy) for my first two triathlons and am now looking to buy my own (manly) road bike. I need help with deciding on a new (for me) bike. I can get a 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc Ultegra for about $1600 or a new Giant Defy Advanced 3 for about $1700. The Roubaix is off eBay and here's the description (I can't post URL's yet)
"2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc Ultegra 11 Speed Ultegra 56CM. Condition is Used. Shipped with USPS Parcel Select Ground.
Excellent Condition with very few miles. I got this bike as I thought I’d prefer the disc (which I do) but have been spending more time on my motions bike. I take excellent care of all my bikes and this is no exception. Few small scratches/scuffs from loading and unloading into my car. These are very minimal (see pics) and hardly noticeable. I have many bikes and this is one of the coolest looking bikes I’ve had. The beautiful shinny blue paint looks amazing. Only thing Iv upgraded is the saddle. (Giant Contact SL Neutral 99$)."

and the defy is from a local shop about 30mins away that also offer lifetime service for their bikes that they sell new (only pay for parts needed, etc). Any thoughts? Thanks

KB
Old 07-02-19, 10:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Are you wanting a bike primarily for triathlons? Both are endurance frames and have high stack to reach ratios, which mean you'll have a hard time getting very aero unless you size smaller. Have you test ridden either, or different (i.e., aero) bikes?
Old 07-02-19, 10:48 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I have a 2016 Specialized Roubaix Sl4 Comp Ultegra with rim brakes. It’s a great bike. But $1,600 is to high for that used bike now.
Old 07-03-19, 12:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I personally would not but a used carbon frame from a stranger and and especially without being able to see it in person. But even it comes to $$$ I'm pretty risk averse.

If you're new to cycling and not especially interested in (or competent at) mechanical work, you will probably benefit from a shop for your first bike purchase. A good shop will help you find the right bike, fit it to you, possibly fill in some gaps in terms of knowledge, and give you the comfort of a warranty.

Triathlon isn't really road cycling. The bikes you're looking at are road bikes, made to be comfortable and to be jacks of all trades. Triathlon is about going as fast as you can in a straight line, not having to handle the bike through corners etc, and not having to stop to pee. You can ride either of them for the bike leg, but these are not the most competitive bikes for this purpose.
Old 07-03-19, 05:30 AM
kb40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I am new to cycling and from what I've gather so far, a true tri bike isn't something I'll need anytime soon as I'm only doing tri's just to challenge myself (i.e. not trying to win them). I started Crossfit a few years ago a love it. Since starting, I went from running very infrequently to now doing 10ks, 10milers, half marathons, etc. pretty routinely. This year I decided I wanted to tackle a new challenge and triathlons were it. So in terms of a bike, I want something that will be fast enough (so I'm not getting smoked by 70yr old grandmas like my last year) but also comfortable enough to ride that I would ride it more often than just when doing tri's. I may only do 3-4 tri's a year so I would want a bike that I can ride for the sake of riding (not just competing in tri's). Everyone bike person I spoke with told me that given my quest, I'm better off buying a road bike and maybe throwing on some aero bars to assist in getting a tri bike feel but with a more versatile bike.

Thanks for the info that $1600 is too much for the Roubaix. I'll keep looking. I haven't tried either bike (giant or Roubaix) but was planning to test the giant out shortly (it hadn't come in yet). Are there any other bikes you guys would suggest I look at in terms of what I'm looking for (comfortable bike, fast enough, that I can use in tri's and also just for sake of riding). Thanks for the help
Old 07-03-19, 05:35 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I would suggest you look at the Giant TCR, cannondale supersix evo or specialized tarmac. They are fall right in the middle between endurance and full on race/tt bikes. I have has a ss evo ans now a tcr advanced, both are plenty comfortable for a 100+ mile ride.
Old 07-03-19, 09:22 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Roubaix is a great bike dude. It's disc brake, right? I have 2016 Pro Race Disc. I still ride it and have to say much more comfortable than my new TCR. $1600 is fair price. It's not too cheap or too expensive. You'll love the Roubaix. I think it's also a better quality frame.
Old 07-03-19, 09:35 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc
I have a 2016 Specialized Roubaix Sl4 Comp Ultegra with rim brakes. It’s a great bike. But $1,600 is to high for that used bike now.
Agree with this. I bought a NOS 2017 SL4 Sport (105) with rim brakes a few months ago for $1300.00. This one does have Ultegra and disc brakes but it’s used. I’m thinking $1400.00 is the price point.
Old 07-03-19, 09:44 AM
kb40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Roubaix is a great bike dude. It's disc brake, right? I have 2016 Pro Race Disc. I still ride it and have to say much more comfortable than my new TCR. $1600 is fair price. It's not too cheap or too expensive. You'll love the Roubaix. I think it's also a better quality frame.
No it doesn’t have disc brakes.
Old 07-03-19, 09:53 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kb40
No it doesn’t have disc brakes.
Are you sure about that on the Specialized? It’s right in the model name.
Old 07-03-19, 09:57 AM
kb40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Are you sure about that on the Specialized? It’s right in the model name.
Correction, you’re right, it does have disc brakes. I was thinking of a different bike I was looking at
Old 07-04-19, 06:42 PM
vader957

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
The specialized is riskier, used probably mean its been drop a few time and it may have some battle scar. The Giant defy 3 appears to run tiagra. For that kind of $$ i would also consider a used caad12 ultegra.