Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What's next? After gravel, what's the NEXT BIG THING?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What's next? After gravel, what's the NEXT BIG THING?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 07:47 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I totally understand what you're saying. It's still a pretty blanket statement that isn't entirely true, at least for some people.

My experience is that while I encounter more cars on the road, I encounter more personal, intense interactions on gravel.

Case in point: I've never had a gun pulled on me on the road, I have on gravel.

I've never been bitten/attacked/taken out by a dog on the road, I have on gravel (and almost everyone I ride with has. Not true for road.)

I've never known a single roadie that packs heat. I know several gravel riders that do. That can't be coincidence.

Anyway, "not having to worry" about cars is well and good but it's not cars that I worry about, it's the sh*tbums driving them out in the middle of nowhere that can't been seen or tracked that I worry about.
sounds like straightly an American problem, guns are illegal in the rest of the world
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 08-05-19, 07:59 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
sounds like straightly an American problem, guns are illegal in the rest of the world
Oh, you're one of those, good day sir.
Likes For shoota:
Old 08-05-19, 08:14 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Oh, you're one of those, good day sir.
huh? one of what? guns are illegal in China and criminals who were caught with it usually face decades in jail. So the concept of worrying about getting blasted during a bike ride is very foreign to me
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 08-05-19, 09:23 PM
Ericoschmitt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Recumbents

I still think recumbents can become a thing. One day people will realise they can be faster due to aerodynamics and also comfortable.

Can you imagine an e-recumbent with full suspension and gravel tires? Lol.
Old 08-05-19, 10:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
And regarding the gravel trend, how many people are really in to crushing gravel vs. just owning a very versatile bike?

I worked in a bike shop when the hybrid trend came on strong in the 90's, and like gravel bikes hybrids are also quite versatile in terms of the mixed terrain they can handle. But hybrid owners were very quickly slapped with the label of "non-serious cyclist", and hybrids became the choice for soccer mom's and grandmas everywhere. Gravel bikes have a lot of the versatility of hybrids and touring bikes, but maintain a level of coolness.
Almost all of the most scenic roads here are dirt. Often hard packed dirt. Tens of thousands of miles of unpaved roads, many closed to cars entirely. I don't like riding on pea sized rock, but let me work some double track into a long loop and I'll be happy. I've even done ski trails in the summer.
Old 08-06-19, 09:46 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
I totally understand what you're saying. It's still a pretty blanket statement that isn't entirely true, at least for some people.

My experience is that while I encounter more cars on the road, I encounter more personal, intense interactions on gravel.

I've never been bitten/attacked/taken out by a dog on the road, I have on gravel (and almost everyone I ride with has. Not true for road.)

I've never known a single roadie that packs heat. I know several gravel riders that do. That can't be coincidence.

Anyway, "not having to worry" about cars is well and good but it's not cars that I worry about, it's the sh*tbums driving them out in the middle of nowhere that can't been seen or tracked that I worry about.

Guns AND e-bikes - this is an AWESOME thread!!

I can't say that I've had any bad encounters - involving guns or otherwise - on the local dirt roads. But I am bracing for the inevitable yahoo coming the other way who doesn't slow down.

However, many years ago my wife and I were riding an out-and-back route on a national forest road. On the way back I could hear shooting - the rhythm sounded like target practice - and we had no alternate route. Sure enough, two guys set-up shooting across the road at targets on the other side. I taxi-whistled in advance and they stopped. We all said good morning to each other and my wife and I rode on. Felt a little weird because we were alone and about 3 miles from the main road.

Fortunately, that's my only guns and gravel experience.
Old 08-06-19, 09:47 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
True. Anyone who has lived on multiple continents, including the US, realizes this is a strangely American problem. It ain't gonna happen in China or Europe (although there are other parts of the world).

Not an "emotional" comment just a fact. You don't need to worry about a gun being pulled on you in many places on this planet.
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-06-19, 09:48 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

Your observations are purely local to your area. Where are you? In middle Tennessee, our experience is the opposite. Almost all roadies carry small revolvers to deal with the problem of loose dogs (they don't load bullets, they load powdershot in order scare the dogs away). I don't know of anyone who has had a gun pulled on them on either type of road. But at the top of EVERY paved climb, you can count on there being at least one, and probably 3+ big loose dogs. On gravel? Not so much.
Old 08-06-19, 09:50 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Not completely true. There are many countries in which firearm ownership is legal. And in some countries -- Israel, Switzerland, others -- guns are mandated. (I would rather be in gun-mandated Switzerland than in gun-"restricted" Chicago on a Saturday night.)
Old 08-06-19, 10:35 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
A) completely false. And even in countries where guns are illegal, there are plenty of guns.

B) people invented many ways to hurt each other before firearms, those methods still work as well as always and I am just as concerned about being knifed or beaten as I am of being shot.
Old 08-06-19, 10:39 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Hi, what's this thread about?
Old 08-06-19, 10:57 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I don't see it happening.

E bikes are expensive. I think e bikes are the ultimate niche bike. There will never be enough people interested in them to be the next 'thing.'
I'm no e-bike fan, but electronics and batteries are getting less expensive every day. What I think will be self-limiting on e-bikes though is that once there is a motor, people will want a bigger motor and eventually they just morph into the electric mopeds that they are. Maybe they stay pedal "assist" to satisfy some law about where people ride them, but with the wattage available in compact electric motors, that assist could easily be set to 95% .

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My hope - grass track racing. Won't sell a ton of bikes but could be a life changer for many. (I'd love to see inner city kids racing $600 Fuji track bikes on vacant lots. Another Nelson Vails?)

Ben
That sounds awesome. I wonder if they'd make a nice fixed gear gravel bike?

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
My Midwest/rural USA perspective:

I don’t see a lot of gravel cyclists “moving on” to the next big cycling thing, at least where I live...maybe in other parts of the country. Gravel roads here are fun, challenging, abundant, offer great scenery, and in my opinion feel much safer than riding pavement (paved roads here are not designed with riding in mind, dedicated bike paths/MUPs are rare, and drivers are occasionally dangerous and inconsiderate)
I'm with you here. I didn't buy a gravel bike because I wanted to go somewhere and find gravel to ride. I bought it because I dislike driving somewhere to go ride, I was already riding gravel and the gravel bike was better at it than squeezing 38's into an old touring frame. Gravel bikes open up road cycling to the millions of Americans living in places where most of the roads aren't paved (the guys out west don't seem to understand midwest gravel riding). What would kill gravel riding here would involve millions and millions of dollars of asphalt.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 08-06-19, 11:19 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I think I live where you live. Where are the best places to ride gravel? I just moved here last year and all my gravel rides so far have been at DuPont.
Thanks.
You do, I'm in Greenville.

Greenwood and Clinton have some good gravel. A lot of it is through Sumter National Forest, beautiful rides with very little traffic. Here's a few good routes, they're for events that SouthEast Gravel puts on. First one is in Feb, the next two are for a new event coming in Oct. They have a facebook page if you want to follow them, we did a preview ride for the Oct 100k route last month.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/38169136
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30034091
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29865599
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 08-06-19, 12:05 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
for the sake of my bicycles, I am hoping the next big thing is the not using salt on the roads!!

I love winter riding, but one way or another I hit roads that have had salt use.

Unfortunately I think my only option is to move locations.
Old 08-06-19, 12:25 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Not completely true. There are many countries in which firearm ownership is legal. And in some countries -- Israel, Switzerland, others -- guns are mandated. (I would rather be in gun-mandated Switzerland than in gun-"restricted" Chicago on a Saturday night.)

1. You can legally own guns in Chicago. The handgun ban that conservative media jumped all over about ten years ago has been off the books since 2010, when it was overturned by the Supreme Court. So was the ban on gun sales within city limits, which was basically useless since gun sales were always happening in the suburbs.

2. I lived within the city limits of Chicago for over a decade, and believe me, you are far more likely to get hit by a car or bitten by a dog when cycling than you are to get shot in Chicago, assuming you stay away from the worst neighborhoods in town and aren't involved in gang activity. Non-Chicagoans are incredibly ignorant about life in that city. Violent crime rates in Nashville (1,138 per 100,000 residents) and Memphis (2,003 per 100,000 residents!!!) are both higher than in Chicago (1,099 per 100,000 residents).

Old 08-06-19, 09:16 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
All this gun talk reminds me, I have seen mentions of bicycle biathlons but never had the chance to actually attend one.
Old 08-07-19, 08:39 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by jeffreythree
All this gun talk reminds me, I have seen mentions of bicycle biathlons but never had the chance to actually attend one.
I would join one, sounds like fun! Maybe the next big thing is bikes with good mounts for holsters or rifle scabbards? Or kit with better accommodation for concealed carry would be nice.
Old 08-07-19, 01:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Your observations are purely local to your area. Where are you? In middle Tennessee, our experience is the opposite. Almost all roadies carry small revolvers to deal with the problem of loose dogs (they don't load bullets, they load powdershot in order scare the dogs away). I don't know of anyone who has had a gun pulled on them on either type of road. But at the top of EVERY paved climb, you can count on there being at least one, and probably 3+ big loose dogs. On gravel? Not so much.
I did a ride a few years ago, Strava have me a KOM because they'd never heard of anyone riding that road before. (Went doesn't Strava understand the concept of a first ascent?) Am older friend told me there's a guy who lives nearby, feels for some reason like the road crosses his property and or belongs to him a sand enforces his property rights with a pistol. So I asked around and in the 80s a few people have indeed had a gun pulled on them on that road. People said he was ancient back then and must have since gone to NRA heaven.

That's the closest I've come. Been chased by a dog, I threw a water bottle at it, missed, and the dog chased the bottle. I've had more problems with ankle sized yippee dogs, the kind that will run right in front of your wheel.

I've seen plenty of bears while riding. They're afraid of people. It's a treat to see one.
Old 08-07-19, 03:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Yeah, I think there has been some misrepresentation of gravel riding on this thread as some kind of Jurassic Park, wild-west redneck playground. This isn't my experience here in the US deep south.

I can remember only one negative motorist encounter on gravel.

Hunters and outdoorsmen are usually really friendly. They typically ask if I've seen any wildlife and are eager to talk about trails, stream crossings, gravel/dirt roads and routes in general.

Dogs are no worse on gravel than pavement and there are fewer on gravel. Some are trained hunting dogs which obey their owner immediately.

Sunday I rode near a private hunting preserve. Guys were shooting shotguns just off the road. I stopped and walked over, asked if they minded if I watched. Everyone was super friendly and were pretty surprised by a carbon bike with hydraulic disk brakes and electronic shifting. Everyone was really chill.

The scene here in the south isn't huge but the riders are into gravel - not wide tire road bikes which might occassionaly stray onto dirt roads. Its about driving 1 or 2 hours to get to the mountains and hammer some forest service roads on 38's or wider.

-Tim-
Old 08-07-19, 07:23 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Agreed, Tim. The downside is the drive to find unpaved roads. (There are none in my county.) I must admit envying those in rural Kansas / Nebraska who have to drive to find a paved road.
Old 08-07-19, 07:28 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's the closest I've come. Been chased by a dog, I threw a water bottle at it, missed, and the dog chased the bottle. I've had more problems with ankle sized yippee dogs, the kind that will run right in front of your wheel.

I've seen plenty of bears while riding. They're afraid of people. It's a treat to see one.
Come to Tennessee and let me introduce you to some paved road redneck dogs. They don't chase decoys. Always waiting at the top of the steepest climbs. I've had two dog attacks requiring medical attention. One pack attack where a pit got me. And one chow attack that required five surgeries and two years off the bike. They were both on civilized paved roads, though. I can't remember ever seeing a loose dog on gravel, whether in Tennessee or the midwest. (I'm sure they exist. I just haven't seen them.)
Old 08-07-19, 07:36 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset

Personally, "gravel" bikes really only became a thing because people wanted to stuff bigger tires under their road bike. I see a lot of gravel bikes, pristine and with slicks on the local MUPs every weekend. No doubt, being loaded into or out of the owner's pristine SUV.

I bought a gravel bike because I wanted the utility and flexibility, there wasn't a single road bike that could achieve the results I wanted.
Thread seems to have taken a potential foo subforum turn but...

I will always take the gravel or dirt path given a choice. I go out of my way to include it. I use my "gravel" bike as my road and off road bike. I've had a pristine clean bike coming off my car at times like you mention and I've also done group road rides with the only mud and gray dust covered bike.

Last edited by u235; 08-08-19 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 08:46 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Come to Tennessee and let me introduce you to some paved road redneck dogs. They don't chase decoys. Always waiting at the top of the steepest climbs. I've had two dog attacks requiring medical attention. One pack attack where a pit got me. And one chow attack that required five surgeries and two years off the bike. They were both on civilized paved roads, though. I can't remember ever seeing a loose dog on gravel, whether in Tennessee or the midwest. (I'm sure they exist. I just haven't seen them.)
In Kansas it seems like there are more loose dogs on gravel. But I also personally know several people who have either moved to the south or moved here from the south and they universally say that stray animals are a way bigger problem down there.

They're generally farm dogs vs junkyard dogs so maybe that accounts for it. I've only been bit once, fingers crossed, and it was a redneck dog and not a farm dog.

Originally Posted by u235
Thread seems to have taken a potential foo subforum turn but...

I will always take the gravel or dirt path given a choice. I go out of my way to include it. I use my "gravel" bike as my road and off road bike. I've had a pristine clean bike coming off my car at times like you mention and I've also done group road rides with the only mud and gray dust covered bike with salty dried sweat splatter mixed with dust on my head and top tube.
I would guess they took off in the rest if the country due to versatility. Here in Kansas it's also because we have a lot more gravel roads than paved roads, and they're usually more interesting and fun. I live in a mid sized city and I can leave my door and be on gravel in 5 miles.
Old 08-08-19, 09:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
In Kansas it seems like there are more loose dogs on gravel. But I also personally know several people who have either moved to the south or moved here from the south and they universally say that stray animals are a way bigger problem down there.
When I was in college, I made drive from Mississippi State down to Tulane(New Orleans) to visit my now wife countless times. Probably averaged once every four weeks. Anyways, counting stray/loose dogs was one of the ways I passed the time. It was crushingly sad if I thought about all the systemic reasons why I saw so many dogs, but it was fun to superficially count them and see if I could find more than the previous trip.
Old 08-08-19, 09:33 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by ksryder
But I also personally know several people who have either moved to the south or moved here from the south and they universally say that stray animals are a way bigger problem down there.
There isn't real winter in the south. I'm sure in Michigan that the stray animal population is fairly close to zero when winter is over.

Also, gravel riders seem to care far more about stray animals, rednecks and shooting sports than the next big thing, haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.