Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Patchers - when do you give up on tube prone to "mystery" flats?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 08:26 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts

Hi all,
Even though I'm generally a patcher, and succesful and happy with that, I do sometimes treat myself to some new tubes.
This time, some Schwalbe Extralight.
One of those has been letting me down lately.
I came out, found the tire flat.
Took the tube out, pumped it up a little and found a 2 mm "pore" that had opened up on the rim side of the tube.
No sign of any pinching, rubbing or any of the other tiny signs one can see around a hole. Just a tiny, neat slit on otherwise pristine rubber.
Ran a finger round inside the rim. Felt OK.
And while the rim tape wouldn't have won any prizes, I didn't find any obvious reason for the flat.
Aiming to do it right the first time, I took the tire off, wrung it inside-out and gave that too a close look.
Nothing even mildly suspicious here.
Working off the vague indication of the status of the rim tape, I put another rim strip on, patched the tube, installed and inflated.
Two minutes later, there's a hiss and the tire goes flat again.
Pulled the thing apart, and there's another "pore" that has opened up, about 1" away from the 1st. Gave the rim another rub down and inspection. Gave the tire another inspection. Nothing.

Now, I know that actual material defects are comparably rare as a cause of flats, but here, it is beginning to look like the most likely cause.
(I had a bad batch of Geax tubes once which were prone to bursting unprovoked. Cutting them apart revealed a thin streak running along the tube, which was where they split open.)

What kind of defect would manifest like this anyhow?
The thin streak on the Geax batch was comparably obvious in comparison. The overstretched zone had lasting deformations in it. Cutting it open was simply verification.

So how many chances would you guys give a tube that flats for no obvious reason, one, two? Until you run out of patches?
Old 08-29-19, 08:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not a patcher so I can't answer your question but I will offer...

Originally Posted by dabac
status of the rim tape, I put another rim strip on
Rim tape or rim strip?

I've had very poor results with plastic rim strips. Repeated flats due to the strip's sharp edges.

-Tim-
Old 08-29-19, 08:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
This ^^^ but if not the problem I'd give it about three tries. That's just me being the optimist trying to save a tube though. I use the Schwalbe Extra Lights as well, SV20 to be precise and am very happy with them. Never had an issue for a few years now. Of course it's not impossible to get a defective one and the way mfrs. move around to different countries to produce their products quality control is never guaranteed. The last time I bought these less than a year ago they were being made in Indonesia and are top quality. First I would try another tube to see if you get the same problem and go from there.
Old 08-29-19, 10:22 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Its probably not the tube, its the tire. Theres something very small stuck in there that is causing the flats.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 08-29-19, 10:58 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Take a dryer sheet and drag it around the rim and around the inside of the tire. Dryer sheets are great for snagging and showing up any burrs.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-29-19, 11:07 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I put 26 x 1.25” Schraeder valve Schwalbe tubes on my girlfriend’s Hard Rock mountain bike to make it road worthy.

One tube was fine, the other would go flat pretty quickly with no apparent source. The removable valve was tight and the submerged tube did not show any bubbles.

I ultimately replaced the tube and while that one did not have any apparent slow leaks, as bad luck would have it, it succumbed to punctures from little bits of wire staples on 2 different occasions.

I do wonder a bit about Schwalbe tube’s quality control. I thought I read somewhere (maybe on their website) that they individually test every tube, but I’m not so sure I trust that.
Old 08-29-19, 03:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My bet is it's the rim strip. If you are using those plastic things rather than rim tape, I'd double my bet.

It only takes the tiniest little arc of unprotected spoke hole. Ultralight inner tubes, I assume, would require even less exposure. When you pump your tire up to operating pressure, the air pressure tries to press the inner tube against that raw metal edge.
Old 08-29-19, 03:26 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

I give up on patching when the valve stem develops a cut!

I know these special rubber bladders aren't invincible, but I haven't had a large enough pinch flat or blowout that's too large for a cement patch.
Old 08-29-19, 07:01 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Inevitably, despite my best efforts, I screw up the tube, most often stem failures on Presta tubes. Those can't be repaired.
Old 08-30-19, 01:21 AM
dabac

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Rim tape or rim strip?

I've had very poor results with plastic rim strips. Repeated flats due to the strip's sharp edges.
The rim came with rim tape, the glossy, plastic kind. It had sunk farther into the nipple cutouts than I like to see, which is why I was suspicious of it.
I fitted a rim strip since it was faster, one that came off a wheel that hadn't had any problems.

And while I can see a sharp edge on a rim strip causing issues eventually, one puncturing a tube while the bike is parked does seem extreme.
Old 08-30-19, 07:05 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Any failure or leak at the base of the valve stem, or inside the valve, makes replacement necessary. Rough handling when pumping (esp. removal of a too-tight presta valve chuck) is the usual cause of this type of failure.

Any other leak can be patched.

'Mysterious' or repeated leaks are almost always caused by a problem with a component other than the tube - rim tape, tire, rim, spoke, etc., and replacing the tube without finding and fixing the root cause will just result in the new tube getting damaged. If I am getting repeated flats and find a previously unnoticed tiny thorn or piece of wire in the tire was causing it, removal of the cause and a patch on the damaged tube is sufficient.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 09-03-19, 05:26 AM
dabac

Update:

After the front developed a leak too, seemingly while being parked, I ditched the tubes in favor of some from my patched stock. For now at least the issue has been resolved. No more pores opening up after inflation.
Old 09-03-19, 05:08 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
i concur with RetrGrouch in post #7 . Changing out tubes does not fix the source of your consternation.