Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What to wear - 40-60F gravel racing event

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What to wear - 40-60F gravel racing event

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 02:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
some time during the past 12 months, it occurred to me, that riding consistently, forced me to adapt clothing to changing temps, either up or down. making it easier to dress for each successive ride. I might make a small mistake here or there but I was better prepared for the next ride. so keep riding & adjusting your gear as the climate changes & you'll get your own answer by default
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-03-19, 07:14 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
some time during the past 12 months, it occurred to me, that riding consistently, forced me to adapt clothing to changing temps, either up or down. making it easier to dress for each successive ride. I might make a small mistake here or there but I was better prepared for the next ride. so keep riding & adjusting your gear as the climate changes & you'll get your own answer by default
yeah this!!!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-04-19, 08:27 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this is true but this past week has been in the 90F's Tomorrows high 67F

I hope I can remember my clothing for temps in the coming week.
Old 10-05-19, 06:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
but this past week has been in the 90F's Tomorrows high 67F
haha good point! my last ride, last weekend was a bit warmer at 80F & this morning it's only 40F. one of the reasons I like keeping a personal log. I can go back & actually see what I was wearing in April, etc. Finding the stuff is a whole other story ... intentionally slept late today planning to ride at 12pm. but I'm just a casual joy rider. you racers have my sympathy
Old 10-10-19, 11:47 AM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks again for everyone who contributed to my question. This has been very useful.

Since I posted this question, I have gone on a couple of long rides and there have been some lessons learned. Sharing what worked for me so far:

Range of temperature (morning to afternoon):
- 45 - 65: Following the advice from some people here, I found it work well for me to wear a merino wool short-sleeve jersey with a merino wool base layer, and a short-pants bib. I added knee, arm warmers, and a fingerless gloves. And finally a wind-proof gilet. As the temperature rises to the lower 60's and as my climbs get tougher, I took the arm warmer off and just unzipped my gilet (zipping it up for time to time on long downhills). I keep the knee warmer on all the time, as I found it helpful on my aging knees .
- 35 - 50: Long-sleeve jersey with a long-sleeve polyester base layer (with a neck and face cover), full gloves, and a long bib tights. And I added a thin raincoat which is also great for blocking wind. I also wore a shoe cover with merino wool socks. As it gets warm, I just folded the thin raincoat and put it in my jersey pocket.

Thanks again, everyone. Ride on!

Last edited by richard.susanto; 10-10-19 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 08:43 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Glad you got some good pointers.
Tomorrow's race - 45-50 degrees, mostly sunny, lots of mud.
I keep my knees bare - so I use thick woolie boolie wool socks up to my knees. Probably a jersey with some merino wool arm warmers. If I heat up too much I can always roll them down and even put them in my back pocket. I gotta find my cold weather gear tonight. Gonna need full fingered gloves for sure, probably ear warmers under the helmet.