Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing Freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Removing Freehub

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 02:44 PM
Martin Sloan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Removing Freehub

Just want to be sure an Allen wrench will remove this freehub. The wrench size is either 11mm or 12mm. Does this removal only require an Allen wrench?

The forum wouldn't let me post a picture because I am a new member. Is there anyway around this?

Photo of my freehub on an AlexRim DM25
Old 10-13-19, 02:48 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
it would be nice to know if it was a shimano or campy, what model, etc.

yes it's a 10mm allen on the shimano freehub I think.

I know of no alternative tool

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 10-13-19, 03:00 PM
Martin Sloan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is on an AlexRim DM25 with a shimano off road stack. I don't see any identification on the freehub but I do have a 10mm allen and it is too small. It is either an 11mm or 12mm.
Old 10-13-19, 03:39 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Many freehubs that aren't Shimano simply pull off, sometimes you need to first release a locknut or circlip. Have you checked for that?
Old 10-13-19, 03:42 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Formula hubs require an 11mm allen wrench. Some of the others like Joytech need a 12mm and a 7/16".
Old 10-13-19, 03:42 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
What bike (brand/model/year) did it come on? That might help us ID the hub.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-13-19, 04:46 PM
Martin Sloan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was given 2 of the bikes and I dont have any info on them except for what's on the bikes.

They are Karakoram GT with the Suntour 012 series front fork. I believe they were $500 bikes or about. I am building one good one out of the two for my son and need to swap the freehub from the junk rear rim to the good rim which has a bad freehub.

A 7/16 hex head bolt fits perfect into the freehub. The bearing cup in the hub has 2 notches 180 degrees apart and looks like it accepts a tool but I dony know if that has anything to do with removing the free hub. After looking at it again it looks like the right Allen wrench will remove it. Guess I will need to go out and buy one.
Old 10-13-19, 05:15 PM
Martin Sloan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There isn't any clip or locking nut that I can see
Old 10-13-19, 07:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Those notches are for disassembling the freehub, you don’t want to do that!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-13-19, 09:53 PM
Martin Sloan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I would not want to take the good one apart but may get a tool to dis-assemble the bad one which spins freely in both directions.
Old 10-14-19, 04:01 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Some hubs need the Allen key inserting from the other side just to confuse the issue.
Old 10-14-19, 06:11 PM
Martin Sloan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I went to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Autozone, Napa and could not find a single 11mm or 7/16 Allen wrench. Thought maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere and was on a different planet. Is it true I will need to order one online? Maybe this was a setup so that I would attain my 10th post and be able to post pictures. Idk. Wasted half a day.
Old 10-15-19, 10:27 AM
Maccmahon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was trying to remove a freehub the other day, it is an old Shimano Dura Ace. Many people seem to feel like Dura Ace is a test bed or forgotten line of elite products that Shimano produced. This is because all the maintenance needs to be accomplished with rare or obsolete tools. In my case, there is an octagonal pattern in side the freehub, and to remove it requires a rare tool that is available on eBay for about $75.00. Alternative methods were discussed in other threads about servicing the freehub while still on the bike. I did this, and have had great results.
My free hub started off spinning in both directions (like yours), but with the application of a ton of WD-40, I was able to get it to function properly. I am still not happy with the sound of it, so I have it soaking in some Motor Oil. I will pull it from the motor oil tomorrow, and hopefully it will be good as new.
Old 10-15-19, 12:47 PM
Martin Sloan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I could soak the crap outa the existing one. It would be nice to be able to get it off. One thing I tried, that didn't work, was I took a 4-1/2in 1/4in bolt with a long shank. The hex head is 7/16. I put it in from the other side and cranked two 1/4 in nuts onto the bolt up to the shank and kept turning but it finally just twisted the bolt in half. The other item at the supply houses I looked for was an old style turn buckle with a 7/16 exterior. They apparently don't make those old style ones anymore but if I could find one, it would probably work. I should have an Allen wrench by weeks end. Hopefully that will end the drama and after all these posts, I may be allowed to upload pictures! Yipee!!!!