Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to clean wet sealant off inner tube so patch will stick?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-17-19, 11:16 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I put sealant inside a tubular tire. Now I need to patch it. But the inner tube is wet with sealant. I tried wiping it off and patching but the patch didn't stick.

The inner tube might be latex. Typical patches have worked for me before.

The sealant is a combination of Stan's, Bontrager and Orange Endurance!

It's crazy but there was somehow a 1/2" hole in the tube but no injury in the sidewall. A lump of sealant TRIED to plug it up and worked for awhile. It doesn't even seem to be a puncture. It's like a hole -- old tube is missing. Strange...

Well, I want to try to patch it... But this wet sealant stuff is messing me up. I've never used sealant before. How do you clean it off?

I see info on cleaning DRY OLD sealant. I suppose it's just water soluble. I also see some bits of info saying warm soapy water. I'll try that... Any other tips appreciated.
Old 10-17-19, 11:54 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Patching a 1/2" hole is going to be hard regardless. Agree it seems mysterious.

More warm water would be my first choice. If that doesn't work hang it up and let it dry for a week or six or whatever it takes. Try to close off rest of tube so it doesn't all dry and so humidity from rest of tire is not feeding towards the hole.
Old 10-17-19, 12:08 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
For a tubular tire its gonna be difficult to get a clean dry surface if the sealant keeps leaking out. You may have to suck out the sealant with a syringe and rinse the inside. Or just pump water into the tube and let it drain out the hole in the tube - its big enough! Expel all remaining liquid in the tube. Then wash and dry the outside. Then patch.

I think adding sealant to a tubular tire, while perhaps offering benefits, has this very fatal weakness: it may make the tire impossible or very difficult to repair.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-17-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-17-19, 12:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffOYB
I put sealant inside a tubular tire. Now I need to patch it. But the inner tube is wet with sealant. I tried wiping it off and patching but the patch didn't stick.

The inner tube might be latex. Typical patches have worked for me before.

The sealant is a combination of Stan's, Bontrager and Orange Endurance!

It's crazy but there was somehow a 1/2" hole in the tube but no injury in the sidewall. A lump of sealant TRIED to plug it up and worked for awhile. It doesn't even seem to be a puncture. It's like a hole -- old tube is missing. Strange...

Well, I want to try to patch it... But this wet sealant stuff is messing me up. I've never used sealant before. How do you clean it off?

I see info on cleaning DRY OLD sealant. I suppose it's just water soluble. I also see some bits of info saying warm soapy water. I'll try that... Any other tips appreciated.
Is there any possibility that the chemicals in the sealant softened the latex inner tube contributing to the flat? Repairing a tubular tire with a latex inner tube containing tubeless sealant sounds daunting to me.
Old 10-17-19, 12:53 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Even without the sealant it will be hard to get an air tight patch on that large a hole. Back in the '70s when a good tubular was $8-15
I repaired them but it was a PITA.