Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does my bike not fit me?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does my bike not fit me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 03:07 PM
sbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does my bike not fit me?

Hi all,
This has been bothering me for a while so I figured I'd post it. I went out a few years ago and tried a few bikes out and was so impressed with the way a LeMond Chambery zipped around and up hills that I bought it--as my first road bike. I didn't receive much help from the store and now I'm wondering a couple of things. First of all--I spent too much money on a bike I use relatively far too little, but I'm not sure if I could near recover my losses on selling it even though it is relatively little used.

But mostly, or to compound the above, I'm worried I spent too much money on a bike that fits me too poorly.

I happened to see this thread and someone mention seat height as being a poor indicator as to the fit of a bike, but I'm wondering if just by looking at these pictures you can tall if my bike is the wrong size?

I was also told LeMond is good for those northern Europeans with shorter legs and longer torsos, but I measure 6' with a 34" max inseam. The frame is a 55cm.

I don't know what to compare size to so it's hard to say if it feels small, though I do wonder if it is made for a longer torso or such since my palms start to hurt after riding.

I did get it fitted right when I bought it and nothing was mentioned about bike size and they adjusted it to how you see in these pictures. Notice the seat seems kinda far forward? I'm worrying that the bike just doesn't fit me--that my torso is too short for the bike but my legs are too long.

I'm hoping it's fine as I don't want to lose tons of money from selling it, especially since if I bought something new for the price I sold this for used, it wouldn't be near as good quality--(looking at the Allez).

Advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CRW_1687-01..jpg (99.0 KB, 238 views)
CRW_1686-01..jpg (99.5 KB, 111 views)
CRW_1692-01..jpg (95.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 04-17-10, 03:16 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need to see pictures of you on the bike. Can't tell anything from what you've provided.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 04-17-10, 03:40 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Bikes: 2009 Colnago Primavera, Campy Chorus 11 speed, 1986 Colnago Master, C-Record, 2008 Surly LHT, 1930's Malvern Star 3-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That saddle angle is going to cause hand pain, looks very uncomfortable. I'm 6'0" and ride anything between 55-58 size frames. You should play with the saddle, for and aft and angle, and then as necessary change the stem. Getting fitted will help.

If that bike is set up properly it will be comfortable and you will ride it more.
Old 04-17-10, 03:44 PM
sbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you're right. do these work? using tripod and leaning against garage door in these... as you can see I slightly moved the handlebars lower from the position they were in after I was my bike was fit. I've been toying with their position trying to figure out where the should be and flipping the stem around etc.
Attached Images
CRW_9026-01..jpg (100.3 KB, 294 views)
CRW_9025-01..jpg (100.2 KB, 290 views)
Old 04-17-10, 03:46 PM
sbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetbike
That saddle angle is going to cause hand pain, looks very uncomfortable. I'm 6'0" and ride anything between 55-58 size frames. You should play with the saddle, for and aft and angle, and then as necessary change the stem. Getting fitted will help.

If that bike is set up properly it will be comfortable and you will ride it more.
I got it fitted, and it came back like that.
Old 04-17-10, 03:48 PM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks a pretty good match as far as bike size goes for now. I wouldn't worry too much about it and ride. If your knees hurt, the saddle position will need changing. Can't tell if it's at the right height or not without your shoes on.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 04-17-10, 07:13 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi.

Secondly, there is no way to know if you are right or not with the seat post height because u aren't with the cycling shoes on, so far apparently it is ok. But who knows

3rd, Level that saddle. If it comes back to that position just buy a descent seatpost. easton has one with 2 bolts, those ones barely move once u have them set. The reason for leveling that is because for sure after a while haiving the sadle in that position your neck, shoulders and arms will hurt because you are leaning all the weight to the front (somebody mentioned it already.) The seat should distribute the weight also.

The stem i would flip it over, the 1st reason is bling bling, the bike will look more as it suppose to be. I have found in some bikes that the stem in that position makes the handling pretty wobbly. Guys can't get the bike straight at any minute. My personal opinion is that if somebody wants to ride so upward should ride flat bars, but this is a personal opinion, people can do whatever they please.

Nice bike dude... enjoy it
Old 04-17-10, 07:51 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think that flipping that stem would be a good idea, as the angle is huge. A new stem, however, may be in order. What exactly bothers you about the current fit of the bike?
Old 04-17-10, 09:46 PM
LinebackerU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The frame itself is probably too small (as evidenced by the large-angle stem, tons of spacers and large amount of seatpost showing). Having your seat far forward suggests that the reach of the frame is too long for you, but from the photos it looks like you could actually stretch about a bit more and be comfortable.

Do your hands hurt after riding for awhile? What distance do you typically ride?
Old 04-17-10, 10:07 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I dont think the frame is too small - for those of us with short torso/long legs, we need a smaller top tube to get the correct reach, and that means jacking up the seatpost to accommodate the legs.

Fit looks ok to me - I am 6'0" with a 35.4" inseam, and I ride a 56 with a 90mm stem. So a 55 with a slightly longer riser stem should be ok for you, methinks. Nothing that cannot be fixed with a few tweaks, at any rate.
Old 04-17-10, 11:36 PM
ahson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vkalia
I dont think the frame is too small - for those of us with short torso/long legs, we need a smaller top tube to get the correct reach, and that means jacking up the seatpost to accommodate the legs.

Fit looks ok to me - I am 6'0" with a 35.4" inseam, and I ride a 56 with a 90mm stem. So a 55 with a slightly longer riser stem should be ok for you, methinks. Nothing that cannot be fixed with a few tweaks, at any rate.
I agree on this. I am also one of those with short torso/long legs. I am 6'3 and guess what 56cm, 58cm is actually the best size for my body. Yes the seatpost needed to stick out a lot (and looks ugly for most people here) because of my legs but hey I can reach to the handlebar much easier and comfortable. I still remember I had a 60cm or actually a 62cm? My legs were perfect for it but I had tough time to ride that bike. I almost wanted to jump out of that bike in the middle of the ride, it hurted my body!

OP - You look perfectly fine on your LeMond. Nice bike. Btw your seatpost isn't really sticking out THAT MUCH compared to mine. Look at mine here, people called it 'ridiculous'.

Last edited by ahson; 04-17-10 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 05:13 PM
sbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To answer the above questions, I usually ride an hour or two. I'm not sure if anything bothers me about the fit since I haven't done too much biking in the past--again, probably too much bike to start so fresh with. Maybe we've all done that at one time or other, and this time I did it with my bike. Other than slight hand pressure it feels great while riding--that's why I chose it. Looking at it again though I think I am convincing myself it is too small. When I flip the bars over and sit on it, my position looks a little cramped. I also feel very horizontal when I flip the bars over, perhaps because I am not used to it.

Here are some shots (in shoes this time!)

I just fear I can't get anywhere near retail for this bike, and it'll be hard to go from such a nice bike to something far less for the same price. Unless this bike really looks like it fits fine. Maybe like posted before, I should stop worrying and ride... But I think I probably ride little enough to be happy with a standard Allez Double or Triple.
Attached Images
CRW_9029-01..jpg (98.5 KB, 83 views)
CRW_9030-01..jpg (98.7 KB, 88 views)
CRW_9028-01..jpg (99.7 KB, 78 views)
CRW_9027-01..jpg (99.9 KB, 65 views)
CRW_9031-01..jpg (98.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 04-25-10, 05:19 PM
(知さん)
(Satoru-san)

Bikes: Vintage Bridgestone (where all my money goes), and a few others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would probably move the seat back. Right now you have it pushed all the way forward. Your stem has a huge angle, you might want to go get a new one that will allow it to go straight, If you flip that one it will go downhill.

EDIT: nvm

Last edited by (知さん); 04-25-10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 05:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22595 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Looks like you are in the ballpark with respect to fit. You could tweak it a little. Do you have comfort concerns, performance concerns, or what? Palms hurting is likely from your seat angled too far forward.
Old 04-25-10, 05:31 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Push the seat back and level it. Your fitter is on crack if he or she thinks you will be comfortable with a saddle angle like that. It will just hurt your hands. Lemonds generally have a longer top tube but you just look inflexible. Ride more, adapt and stretch. Nobody frickin stretches.
Old 04-25-10, 05:31 PM
sbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I have performance concerns. Comfort is good with the stem rising up, maybe because it's too cushy and I'm too upright. With it down I feel like I'm going to fall forward.

I'm not sure why the seat is so far forward. When I got fitted, they shoved the seat forward before they even looked at my hands. He tried to adjust the seat in relation to the pedals, but looking online it looks like that is the way LeMond bikes are built--to use your legs just a bit differently.

I'll shove my seat back a ways and tilt it up for my next ride. I'll also maybe swap out my stem for one with a bit less of an angle. Thanks for the comments all. Makes me feel better if it's in the ballpark. While I'm not noticing the size now I'm just concerned as I get more into it I'll start having more and more issues, but if it looks reasonable then I won't worry about it.

P.S. I'll try and be more flexible, though I may look a little awkward because I leaning against the garage door and getting in to position quickly before my remote timer goes off. I'm a flexible guy, so shouldn't be too huge a problem.
Old 04-25-10, 05:42 PM
Big_Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are looking good. If you don't have pain (knees = seat height or fore aft, shoulders and hands = stem length, lower back = bar height) just ride more. Also remember that as you ride more, you will get stronger and more flexible meaning the bar height will change over time.

don't sweat it at this point and ride more. If you have pain go back to the shop and have them help you adjust the fit.
Old 04-25-10, 05:59 PM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The frame is right for you, but the adjustment of the contact points appear to need some tweaking. A Lemond 57cm (I ride) would be too big, and a 53cm (wife rides) too small. I've also ridden the 55cm with perfect adjustment and I'm 2" taller.

The top tube of a Lemond is only around 0.5-1.5cm longer at most than a comparable other bike, which is well within the range of a stem change. I wouldn't be too concerned that the bike is wrong, just try to get the contact points adjusted right.
Old 04-26-10, 07:16 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Now that the stem has been flipped down, measure the saddle to bar drop. I measure vertically from the floor to the top of the bars, then do the same for the saddle and take the difference. If you've got 10cm of drop or more, the frame is certainly one size too small, since you've got a lot of spacers under the stem. The stem appears to be horizontal, which is the lowest angle commonly offered (73 or -17). Switching to an 84 (-6) would raise the bars about 2cm and look good. There's nothing wrong with the stem angle you're using, if you can tolerate the drop. I use a horizontal (-17) degree stem, but I only have 5mm of spacer under it and use it specifically to create an 11cm drop. I previously used a -6 degree to produce a little less radical 9cm drop.

Riders with shorter torsos should consider using shorter reach bars, if the stem length needs to be 100mm or less. The shorter reach bars will allow a 10mm longer stem and help maintain some knee to bar clearance when pedaling out of the saddle.
Old 04-26-10, 07:22 AM
^oZ
shut up legs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Razor From KC
A good test to know if its your size is to stand over your top tube and lift the front wheel up , it should only raise 1-2 in. before hitting the goods.

I would move the seat back till it looks like its in the middle of the rails under it, Then if you feel the bars are to far away i would get a shorter stem.
Please refrain from giving advice until you atleast have a slight idea what you're talking about
Old 04-26-10, 07:34 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ^oZ
Please refrain from giving advice until you atleast have a slight idea what you're talking about
I always hate in when one member tells another what he should or should not do. Rather than this non-constructive post, point out that the TT slopes, so the old standover clearance test is not meaningful. Riders with longer legs and shorter torsos will always have more standover clearance than the average rider.

I can't disagree about moving the saddle back some. It's rare when there's a need for someone to require a saddle shoved all the way forward. It may be done to place the knee directly over the pedal and that's OK as a starting point, but if it was done to reduce reach, then that's an obvious mistake.
Old 04-26-10, 07:48 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks good to me. I am also at 6' with about the same inseam, and have had a hard time accepting that a 56 fits and a 58 is too big. I've tried fitting both, and have come to accept and appreciate the smaller frame. I actually sat on a 57cm Scattante frame, tried the 55 for kicks, and liked the 55 better.

Last edited by RT; 04-26-10 at 07:48 AM. Reason: " to '
Old 04-26-10, 08:06 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Such fun reading. Little do I know of how people fit bikes today. But 38 years of riding, even if not always dedicated, provides some experience.

+1 on levelling the saddle. If it tilts forward you tend to slide forward onto the narrower part of its nose. That is, ahem, uncomfortable. so you end up pushing yourself backwards with your hands unconsciously. Plus, when your seated position is further forward, either from seat position itself or from you sliding forward, your feet are more underneath you. This means their thrust direction is more downward but they are less able to keep you pushed backwards. Level the seat, move it backwards if you feel the bar is too close, ride a bunch, and then re-ask the question. You may come to a different conclusion.
Old 04-26-10, 08:41 AM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, missed the pictures... flipping the stem? great!... as somebody mentioned u have to pull that seat back, how much? maybe 3 cms or so to start. Yes you will feel more horizontal and level the saddle using a level tool thingy.

Regarding the stand over somebody mentioned.... people still do not get that stand over in road bikes and track bikes do not WORK, it is a good indication (do not get me wrong) but is not accurate because different brands will have the BB shell upper or lower so the top tube will be in upper or lower also, besides there is a design part in all of this like for example sloping and sloping angle. That throw the stand over rule off maybe for 1 or 2 sizes big or smaller. Example, have 4 road bikes and all are different in materials and geometry, if i follow the stand over super rule i would have ended with a kuota that has slight sloping TT in one size bigger, the last one I got was a BMC that has sloping and by design a super low TT, if i had used stand over i would have ended picking a frame xtra large for sure that in my case is like 2 sizes too big. The bike looks ok for the OP anyways.

Have fun OP you are in the good track in my opinion