Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many tool boxes do you have?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: How many tool boxes do you have?
0 - I don't ever wrench
3.03%
1 - I keep it simple
6.06%
2 - Just enough
21.21%
3-4 - A few specialized items
21.21%
5-7 - It's becoming noticable
18.18%
7-10 - Too many hobbies
18.18%
11-14 - I can't find things even when I put them away
9.09%
14-20 - Therapy might work
0%
20-30 - I need serious help
3.03%
30+ I am hopeless
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 12:44 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This morning I was rummaging around for a tool I rarely use, I could not find it and suspect it was in a tool box we have in our vacation place. Then I started thinking, how many tool boxes do I have - man this is worse than N+1 for bikes
In our second home I have a quick access tool box for minor home repairs and a larger tool box for tools for the larger (although not really big) jobs.
At home again I have a tool box for quick home repairs, a tool box for quick bike repairs, a tool box for the big bike repairs (and more useful spare parts), one for recreational ski tuning, one for race ski tuning and major repairs, one for specialty metal working tools, one for just screw drivers and pliers, one for wrenches, one for specialty wood working tools (not to mention all the wood working tools I have on shelves and finally one out in the car - now that is more than 10 and I bet if I went down in the basement would find a few more I forgot to think of. I know with all the loose tools I have around the basement I could use a few more because all my electrical tools are in plastic bags and containers. These are easy things to tell the kids to get me for xmas.
Old 07-05-10, 12:48 PM
TomT74

Bikes: 2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One bag to tote around when needed. One small box with bike tools. Two sets of drawers for small bike parts. One 11 drawer mechanic's chest for the rest of the goodies.
Old 07-05-10, 01:05 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
What about 5 gallon buckets, do they count? I have one each for plumbing, pool stuff, gardening, and framing.

I also have the original Sears/Craftsman 88 piece tool box that my dad and I went halfies on when I was 18.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-05-10, 01:10 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
How many tool boxes?
One with "household" type tools.
One plastic box with bike tools and bike parts in it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-05-10, 01:23 PM
Aussie_Al

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a generic tool kit with like 30-40 tools in it and a kitchen drawer full of random tools I have accumulated over the years
Old 07-05-10, 01:23 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
What about 5 gallon buckets, do they count? I have one each for plumbing, pool stuff, gardening, and framing.

I also have the original Sears/Craftsman 88 piece tool box that my dad and I went halfies on when I was 18.
If I counted my 5 gallon buckets that would add at least 3 more, one for dry wall tools, one for assorted wood clamps and one for sanding tools. Man am I a sick pup.
Old 07-05-10, 01:28 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Plenty of toolboxes- 3 in the garage alone but I just could not tell you what is in them-One large one for Household tools that I bought once for one job and never used again- A Shed that contains all the electrical stuff---Along with the bikes. I have 3 that have never been used- bought for me as presents as all men can use a toolbox.

And the important one is the bike box. Weighs about 15lbs and has all the tools and spanners I need to repair a bike---Except when I want the Pedal spanner- Ross has borrowed it and it is 1/2 mile away.

When I was a race mechanic (Karting)- I had two tool kits. One laid out on top of the bench that no-one was allowed to touch. On the shelf below was an identical kit for when one of the "Using" tools went missing. I never lost any of the lower shelf tools either -A Club hammer across the knuckles meant that no-one borrowed my tools.

Now where's that bag of 5mm allen keys I bought last month?

Perhaps I ought to start using the tool kits to store tools in.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-05-10, 01:36 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I have 3 roll boxes (one that I received as a high school graduation gift), and numerous hand boxes for small specialized hand tools. Only one drawer out of all three roll boxes is needed to hold all of my bicycle tools, the rest are dedicated to automotive tools.
Old 07-05-10, 01:51 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't know.

I suppose it depends on how you count them. For example, do the boxes that I keep my woodworking saws and drill in count? Of course, once that's defined I'd still have to find them all and count them all.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 07-07-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 01:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I have one rolling tool chest for bike stuff including bike-specific tools and things plus multiple+ cardboard and plastic boxes/containers for parts, accessories, tubes, cables/housing, etc. etc. Tools that aren't bike specific live in another rolling chest. Plus a few more tool boxes for drill stuff, electrical stuff, plumbing stuff, etc. etc. etc. Gonna get organized one of these days.
Old 07-05-10, 02:56 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I believe in segregation.

Tool bags for:
Automotive tools
General carpentry tools/ framing
Fine cabinet making tools
Electrical
Plumbing
Bike tools
Screw drivers
Clamps
Old 07-05-10, 03:02 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now this is getting way too personal. Let's focus on the easy stuff like salary, net worth, sexual preference and frequency, chain lube, etc.
Old 07-05-10, 03:18 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
Now this is getting way too personal. Let's focus on the easy stuff like salary, net worth, sexual preference and frequency, chain lube, etc.
+1

I have several tool collections. Would paint boxes and camera bags count if you use them for hire?
Old 07-05-10, 03:24 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a tool box for computers, a tool box for bikes, two tool boxes for guitars (they are small boxes), and a ton of misc tools hanging all over basement shop wall and the work shed wall. I'm sick.

When a tree fell in my yard my first thought was, "Oh boy, I can get a chain saw!"
Old 07-05-10, 04:13 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Ha ha!

This is a funny poll; I just spent last weekend cleaning out the garage. I threw away 4 old, cheap, plastic tool boxes because my tools were always hiding in there -- I transferred everything into my 3 "nice" tool boxes (one for bike tools; one for everyday around-the-house tools; one for everything else).

Hope this works...
Old 07-05-10, 04:38 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
8 I think. Several large enough they require a rollback or trailer with friends to move. I earn money with them. Great excuse eh?
Old 07-05-10, 04:49 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I don't really know. I keep finding tool boxes I'd forgotten about stashed in corners I rarely look in. I even gave away a couple for free on Craigslist recently.
Old 07-05-10, 05:01 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Only 2 tool boxes, 1-for my metric tools and 1-for my SAE tools, what few actual bicycle tools I have are in with the metric box.

Old 07-06-10, 04:46 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Several years ago I purchased a six foot high tool chest with multiple drawers. It was the smartest move I ever made. I keep all my tools in it. Cycling tools has it's own special drawer. I then keep an empty tray from a no longer in use tool box on top of the chest. When I have a job to do, I fill the tray with the tools I'll need and take it to the job. As soon as I finish the job, the tools all go back to their designated place and the empty tray is ready of the next job. This system has worked extremely well for me. That is, until one of my kids need to 'borrow' a tool.
Old 07-06-10, 04:48 AM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had to vote 5-7.

* I have a rool-away chest-on-chest topped with a tool box out in the garage for automotive use.
* I have a portable tool box for auto and trailer/camping use on road trips.
* I have a portable toolbox for my bike tools.
* I have a portable tool box in the basement shop for those household tools that aren't hanging on the pegboard (I never, ever use automotive designated tools indoors).
* I have a fanny pack stuffed with bike tools that I stow on my bike for emergency road use (the cell is useless now as the bride no longer drives).
Old 07-06-10, 07:46 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have tool boxes squirreled away all over. Since I am a professional mechanic among other things, I have a large Snap-On roll around with a lot of high dollar tools in it kept at work. Then there is the Craftsman Professional double chest with auto, tractor, boat, bicycle and general purpose tools and those odd metric tools (airplanes don't do metric). Then I have a much older and very nice Craftsman Professional roll around with tons of tools mostly aviation related at my personal hanger, then another large roll around full of mostly antique brand general purpose tools inherited from my grandfather and then there are the various "away" boxes for missions be it to the Gulf with the boat and then I have a cantilever box with SCUBA specific tools for regulator rebuilds and general equipment maintenance and a whole bunch more.
Old 07-06-10, 09:25 AM
Bikewer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a bike box, an auto box, an archery box... another box dedicated to screwdrivers... And several shelves of tools of all kinds in my workroom. In addition to doing all my own bike work I rebuild old bikes for fun & profit... I also build cigar-box instruments, archery equipment.....

I just need a few more hobbies.
Old 07-07-10, 11:15 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Four - one for big stuff, one for wrenches and bike tools, one for electronics, and one for fountain pen repair.
Old 07-07-10, 12:13 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I love my plastic buckets.

I forgot to mention that I have everything in my Hydro Pack for everything but rebuilding the bearings, BB and Freewheel.

I have a complete set of bike tools laying out handy on an old bookshelf and then other tools in a nifty Red Standing on rollers tool chest.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-07-10, 07:33 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Two, but I prefer tool bags. I have a Bucketboss for my electronics tools, and a Craftsman tool bag for my bicycle tools. Tool bags carry well, last a long time, transport and store easier (to me) than tool boxes.