Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Transition From Mountain Bike to a Road Bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 07:55 PM
wribbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tonight after reading this forum I've discovered at 6'6" 255 pounds, I am a Clydesdale. Its ironic that I consume a lot of a particular product pulled around in a wagon by Clydesdales that has helped make me this way.

After being out of the sport for several years I decided I wanted a full suspension mountain bike and bought a Giant Trance X4 about a year ago. I've always said I'd never ride a road bike after a good friend from high school was killed on his road bike, but after riding my Trance more and more I started riding it on the road almost exclusively. For that reason I decided to get a road bike. I guess I'm over the fear of cars for now.

After researching some bikes I decided on the Giant Defy Advanced 3. I've really liked my Giant mountain bike and the dealer where I bought it was great. I am amazed at how light this bike is. My mountain bike is like a brick compared to the road bike. I can average about 13.5 miles per hour over ten miles on my mountain bike, I wonder what to expect on the road bike.

My first impression of the road bike is how stiff it feels sitting on it. I didn't really test ride it because they didn't have my size in stock and I had pretty much already made up my mind I wanted THAT bike. My mountain bike feels like sitting on a recliner, the road bike feels like sitting on a small bar stool. I've invested in a good pair of shoes, shorts, and jersey, because I am all about being comfortable. I haven't been able to take the road bike out for a long ride yet and I'm worried I've just invested a lot of money in a bike that is going to be brutal to ride.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping someone is going to reply with, "You'll get used to it in no time!" I really want this to work because I'm tired of being out of shape and really want to get back in the shape I was in when I rode regularly.

Thanks in advance for any encouragement!

Last edited by wribbs; 09-23-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-23-10, 08:08 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will enjoy the road bike. They just feel different. When I switch between the two I notice a differnce for the first minute or so, but each of them fit me. I started with a MTB and that was fine. I thought if I'm only riding for an hour than it doesn't matter whether I go 6 miles or 12 miles. But, I found with the road bike I'd ride for 2 hours instead of 1 hour.

Your body will have to adjust to the new position, but it will be fine.
Old 09-23-10, 08:29 PM
RossThompson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will get use to it (or you will be broke in, if you rather), the defy geometry is relaxed and comfy for those long rides. I got mine about 4 months ago and have loved it!
Old 09-23-10, 08:48 PM
zephyr_gnome

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had issues with my lower back and hammys when I made the transition. They seemed to get sore more easily because of the more bent over position. Eventually, they adjusted.
Old 09-23-10, 08:50 PM
engstrom
Getting a clue

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, the first couple rides on the road bike with thin tires and high pressure are brutal. Then things start to get better and you get used to it. Then you get some back pain, and then you get over that. Keep at it and in a couple of months you'll be perfectly comfortable and MUCH faster on the new road bike.
Old 09-23-10, 09:03 PM
cbrown9064

Bikes: Specialized Sectuer Comp Specialized Rockhopper Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made the switch this spring and am glad I did! It will be different, but you will get used to it in no time flat. I really like the different positions you can put your hands on the bars. That was a big deal for me. Even compared to a flat bar with bar ends, the drop bars are much more comfortable.
Old 09-23-10, 09:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If you're averaging 13.5 mph now on the mountain bike, you'll be doing about 13.7 on the road bike. You'll be frustrated, and a bit sore. This won't be the last time you wonder if it was the right idea. But, you'll also notice that it isn't quite as hard as it used to be, and it's a lot of fun going down curvy hills. Your body will figure out that you don't need to use your muscles to hold yourself up over the bars, that you can stretch out and rest on your skeletal system. Once that happens, any back soreness will vanish - kaput.

After a while, you'll notice your average speed going up. The road bike has much higher gearing than the mountain bike, and for a while it'll be like lifting weights with your legs. Once they get stronger, it'll be your new normal. And that will make you faster. Plus, you'll have got yourself into better shape, especially cardio-wise, and lost some weight, which will make you faster still, especially when you climb.

Ultimately your average speeds will be close to 20, but it won't really be the bike.
Old 09-23-10, 11:18 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'll get used to it in no time!

Of course, 'time' is a relative term
Old 09-24-10, 03:13 AM
2ndBackwall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A suspension post is always an option, if you're finding you're not quite 'getting used to it'.

I wasn't all that sure that I wanted to 'get used to' my spine getting hammered relentlessly, and was lucky that my Thudbuster from my MTB fit my roadbike. I love it.
Old 09-24-10, 03:23 AM
wribbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!

Wow. There must be a lot of people that frequent this forum. I appreciate all the encouragement. One of the great things about the Internet is there is a forum for everything.

I can't wait to get off work today and put it on the road.
Old 09-24-10, 06:29 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wribbs
Its ironic that I consume a lot of a particular product pulled around in a wagon by Clydesdales that has helped make me this way.
I can't imagine what product you could be talking about.

Old 09-24-10, 06:44 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
You might try adjusting the seat and possibly raising the handlebars. If you were sitting straight up on the mountain bike, it will take some getting used to. But if it's too uncomfortable, you might consider adjusting the fit, and not being too totally bent over.
Old 09-24-10, 07:53 AM
malux

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just made the transition from MTB to road bike. I thought about a hybrid first but honestly, I love my road bike. It took me a couple of days of tinkering with handle positioning, seat height and front-back positioning, but now that I have it set, I'm loving it.

It'll take you a week or two but you'll get it used to it

by the way, I was on an MTB for a while, the on the couch for a good long while. I'm about 6' 255lbs.
Old 09-24-10, 08:19 AM
wribbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB

It looks something like this.....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
bud..bmp (78.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-24-10, 08:22 AM
wribbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shop where I bought spent a long time fitting me for the bike, then tweaked the handle bar and seat position once I got on a trainer and pedaled it. I hope to get on it this afternoon!
Old 09-24-10, 09:34 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The shop where I bought spent a long time fitting me for the bike, then tweaked the handle bar and seat position once I got on a trainer and pedaled it. I hope to get on it this afternoon!
That's a good first step. Honestly: you'll probably hate the road bike for the first couple of weeks. It will feel nervous and tippy and every grain of sand passing under the tires will feel like a boulder. You'll get used to the handling pretty quickly, if you stick with it. The stiffness, unfortunately, doesn't really change...
Old 09-24-10, 01:02 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A good LBS will work with you. However, you should still test ride all the road bikes within your price range that you can. Brand loyalty is fine, but comfort is more important.
Old 09-24-10, 05:14 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will be fine. While I prefer the dirt by a long shot a good road ride is great once in awhile. The speed and time difference is amazing, you will never ride your FS on road again if you have a choice
Old 09-24-10, 05:31 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB

It's what passes for American malted barley beverage, you can't really call it beer.....
Old 09-24-10, 06:22 PM
wribbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
It will feel nervous and tippy and every grain of sand passing under the tires will feel like a boulder.
You nailed that one. I feel like I'm going to fall off at any minute. I only got to ride it about three miles because getting off work late and having to pick up my son.

Looking forward to daylight in the morning.
Old 09-24-10, 06:25 PM
wribbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
It's what passes for American malted barley beverage, you can't really call it beer.....
I have to laugh at that. Not to turn this into a beer drinking thread but I like my Bud.......
Old 09-25-10, 05:37 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have to laugh at that. Not to turn this into a beer drinking thread but I like my Bud.......
My dad liked Bud. He claimed it was because it was brewed with rice.
Old 09-25-10, 06:07 AM
storckm
Cyclist

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
It does have rice. Adds fermentables without adding flavor or character.
Old 09-25-10, 12:06 PM
wribbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Ride

I made the first ride today. I went 25 miles to a friend's house. First I was amazed at how comfortable it was, it wasn't the beating I was expecting. The next thing was the speed. I was able to cruise along very comfortably at 15 to 17 MPH, that sort of speed on my mountain bike would have been brutal. I averaged 14.64 MPH over the ride. It's also quite, no tire roar like I am used to.

I'm going to make this run a few times and get used to riding further. My next goal is my dad's house 60 miles away.

I think I'll keep it! Thanks for all the encouragement.
Old 09-25-10, 03:24 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Defys are nice bikes. Glad you're enjoying yours!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.