Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Randonneurs psi

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Vittoria Randonneurs psi

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 10:24 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Vittoria Randonneurs psi

Says 85 on a 28mm tire.

Sheldon brown says I should run 120 on my rear tire, based on weight.

Who wins?
Old 11-04-10, 10:32 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would follow the tire casing pressure, and adjust from there as needed.
Old 11-04-10, 10:37 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started running 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs in the last month or so. I have a similar situation. For the most part, in my case, Sheldon won. That is, I pump mi tires up closer to where the weight/tire size charts would indicate they should be even though it's quite a bit higher than suggested as maximum. Mine say 75 psi I think, and I pump them back up to around 100 psi when I top off my tires once or twice a week. Could still go higher to get to the suggested ideal pressure, but they roll real nice and seem to have about the right amount of bulge at 100 psi.

All I have read suggests that the tires are generally capable of holding much more pressure than the sidewalls would suggest and that those numbers are based on lighter riders and CYA lawyers wishing to avoid getting sued for damage to overinflated tires.

In your case, as in mine, I'd vote to go part of the way to Sheldon's recommendation for pressure. Then, adjust as needed.
Old 11-04-10, 11:01 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Notwithstanding Sheldon Brown's advice, I would not inflate above the max pressure rating. While it may be safe to overinflate a particular tire, how would you know for sure? You risk catastrophic tire failure (i.e., blowout), rather than a simple flat tire, and such failure could result in loss of control of the bike, particularly if the front tire goes. You have to ask yourself what is to be gained by overinflation and what is the risk? Max pressure results in a rock hard tire as it is, so why overinflate?
Old 11-04-10, 11:07 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 700x35c Randonneur Hypers on my commuter. I weigh 190-ish, and carry 10-15 pounds of stuff in front panniers. My bike is 31 pounds (approx). I typically run 40-55psi up front and 50-65psi in back. Yes, I am a mutant. No problems thus far in 1000 miles (knock wood).