Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Prescription Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 12:07 PM
Gege-Bubu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Prescription Sunglasses?

After my Performance sunglasses got scratched badly in a recent accident, and I am looking for a new pair. Performance does not have the glasses that fit my insert, it has to be all new: new glasses and new insert.

I need prescription glasses, because I cannot see a half what's going around me without some optic help.

I don't want to spend top $$$ on Oakleys, Rudys, or other famous frames. My eye doctor can make for me adidas prescription sunglasses for about $230, but this is still too expensive for an item that can be easily lost or broken.

So, ideally I would take the sunglasses with optical insert. My old Performance glasses cost me about $130 with prescription. I am ok with cheap plastic interchangeable front shades. I ride day and night, and need at least two shades: dark for sunny days, and light grey/orange for evenings.

if I cannot find anything else, I will go back to performance, but I would like to try something else, maybe better or more stylish.

Anyone has a decent option for such sunglasses?
Old 06-23-11, 01:36 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've bought a couple of pairs of prescription wrap-around sunglasses from this place: https://www.bicyclerx.com/
They have lots of frame and lens choices and good prices. The lenses are made in San Diego and I'm happy with the quality.
Old 06-23-11, 03:58 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get regular rx clear glasses(I assume you need glasses all the time), and go to wallmart and buy a pair of "clipons"(sunclipons)for $20,works great
Bud
Old 06-23-11, 04:17 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I've been using some sunglasses designed to ft over regular glasses. I found them as CVS or Walgreens or $15-20. They work. Not very "nice", but functional. I've already lost 1 pair, and broken 1 pair this summer.
Old 06-23-11, 04:27 PM
nuhtowel

Bikes: Caad9, Fixed gear, Hardrock beater, 3 speed cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a pair or raybans for a touch under 200, not really ideal for cycling I guess but I like them.
Old 06-23-11, 04:51 PM
RidingRob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actaully work at www.biciylerx.com. We have a great deal on a model right now for $80 complete. Feel free to give me a call if you like. Rob @ 888-831-5817 ext 111.
Old 06-24-11, 12:13 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingRob
I tried, but could not get your link to open. My problem?
I usually pick mine up from Costco, not stylish but they do the job at a good price.
Old 06-24-11, 12:20 AM
theREEDeffect

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bicyclerx.com/
Old 06-24-11, 12:26 AM
AtomicCactus

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Elite, 2001 CCM Heat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my Rx'd Oakleys from bicyclerx.com. One of wisest purchases I've ever made :-). And, less than half the price of my everyday glasses from the local optician.
Old 06-24-11, 01:39 AM
onikazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my rx prescription is way too high for dedicated rx cycling frames (-9.0/-8.5. nearsightedness). I just pop in the contacts and use the cheap frames at PB.
Old 06-24-11, 07:49 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oakley's...../thread.

I know, you said you didn't want to spend $275+...but oh well..you get what you pay for.
Old 06-24-11, 08:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Gege-Bubu
After my Performance sunglasses got scratched badly in a recent accident, and I am looking for a new pair. Performance does not have the glasses that fit my insert, it has to be all new: new glasses and new insert.

I need prescription glasses, because I cannot see a half what's going around me without some optic help.

I don't want to spend top $$$ on Oakleys, Rudys, or other famous frames. My eye doctor can make for me adidas prescription sunglasses for about $230, but this is still too expensive for an item that can be easily lost or broken.

So, ideally I would take the sunglasses with optical insert. My old Performance glasses cost me about $130 with prescription. I am ok with cheap plastic interchangeable front shades. I ride day and night, and need at least two shades: dark for sunny days, and light grey/orange for evenings.

if I cannot find anything else, I will go back to performance, but I would like to try something else, maybe better or more stylish.

Anyone has a decent option for such sunglasses?
If the Performance one work, stick with them. I've been using Rudy Project Kerosenes for about 15 years now and haven't lost or broken them. But I haven't broken glasses since about 1969 anyway. I have scratched a couple of lens but Rudy replaces them for cheap.

I find that the sunglasses price pales in comparison to the prescription insert. The outer glasses have out lasted several prescriptions so the money I spent on the Kerosenes is very cheap in comparison.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-24-11, 12:00 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the walmart,clip ons come in several sizes and are hard coated ,and they are about $20...
Old 06-27-11, 09:18 AM
RidingRob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, sorry about that. I am a better cyclist then typist. The site is www.bicyclerx.com
Old 06-27-11, 10:46 AM
novacoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my sunglasses from zennioptical.com

Came to $40. Not the greatest quality lenses, pretty cheap frame, but they do the job. No interchangeable lenses though.
Old 06-27-11, 03:18 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novacoke
Came to $40. Not the greatest quality lenses, pretty cheap frame, but they do the job. No interchangeable lenses though.
Wow, those prices are hard to beat... Definitely the budget way to go...

I have Bolle Parole with the snap-in Rx adapter. You can probably find the sunglasses for $70, the adapter for $20, then get Rx in the adapter maybe $40, so around $130? The Parole are small/medium fit, the Bolle Vigilante is medium/large fit...
Old 06-27-11, 03:26 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by novacoke

I bought some sunglasses from Zenni once. The lenses were so small that they did not protect my eyes from flying debris on fast sprints or downhills. I only looked at single-lens sunglasses, since the double lens setups are too heavy and uncomfortable for me.

Which frames did you get? Maybe they have some better choices now.
Old 06-27-11, 07:58 PM
novacoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
I bought some sunglasses from Zenni once. The lenses were so small that they did not protect my eyes from flying debris on fast sprints or downhills. I only looked at single-lens sunglasses, since the double lens setups are too heavy and uncomfortable for me.

Which frames did you get? Maybe they have some better choices now.
I need a small nose bridge (20 and under), and I got these: https://www.zennioptical.com/700711-p...d-goggles.html

Like you mention, the double lens setup is somewhat heavy, but nothing that bothers me personally. It is a really cheap plasticy frame (frame is worth probably less than $5), but it does the job. The tinted portion does flip up though, which gives a hilarious look.
Old 06-27-11, 08:15 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I actaully work at www.biciylerx.com.
Nice glasses but nothing in the line of bifocals.

I have polarized, magnetic sun glasses that snap on the frame. The sun glasses and frame come as a set and the sunglasses are held in place by magnets on the frame. They don't do anything for light coming in from the side, but they are really nice otherwise. They are also very light weight and don't make the titanium frame seem any heavier. I don't remember what I paid for them as they are around 5 years old, but they weren't much more than a regular frame without the sunglasses.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 06-27-11 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-27-11, 08:28 PM
radshark
Psycholist

Bikes: Devinci Amsterdam, Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried eyebuydirect online prescription glasses?

I found these for $40

... can anyone vouch for them?
Old 06-28-11, 04:34 PM
Focuspokus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingRob
I actaully work at www.biciylerx.com. We have a great deal on a model right now for $80 complete. Feel free to give me a call if you like. Rob @ 888-831-5817 ext 111.
First off, I just want to say a BIG THANKS to Rob at Sportrx who by coincedence contacted a few days ago about a pair of glasses I bought in January 2010. Have a small chip in Polycarbonate lens and he exteded warranty for me as they are not suppose to chip and I sent them off today to have lens replaced. Even when I first ordered them, they called me to make suggestions before glasses were made. Price was great but the Streak model he mentioned above was too good to pass up. Spoke with him today and he placed my order in minutes. $79 with a Vermillion (Pinkish) lens for my early morning rides. The first pic is the frame I bought, the second pic is the lens color on a Rudy Project frame that costs $250 with RX.
Thanks again Rob. Just thought I'd give a plug for him as he is a cyclist himself and understands what we all need. Great company and service.

Old 06-28-11, 05:42 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by radshark
Has anyone tried eyebuydirect online prescription glasses?

I found these for $40

... can anyone vouch for them?
I've bought regular eyeglasses from EyeBuyDirect. They have good prices and reasonably fast service (faster than Zenni, though both are made in mainland China). Never bought sport glasses from them, though. I really hate those double lens glasses (because of weight and bulk and dirt keeps getting between the 2 lenses).
Old 06-28-11, 05:43 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Nice glasses but nothing in the line of bifocals.
Do you really need bifocals for bicycling? Seems to be that everything is far away enough that you can forget about the closeup part of your bifocals.
Old 06-28-11, 06:09 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
My Oakleys have been well worth the money. Same pair for over five years. Not cheap but you get what you pair for; the optics on Oakleys are the best.

I didn't think anyone was allowed to post in the Roadie forum if they couldn't afford Oakleys or Rudy Project or Maui Jims. What's next, BikesDirect shills?
Old 06-28-11, 06:52 PM
Focuspokus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
My Oakleys have been well worth the money. Same pair for over five years. Not cheap but you get what you pair for; the optics on Oakleys are the best.

I didn't think anyone was allowed to post in the Roadie forum if they couldn't afford Oakleys or Rudy Project or Maui Jims. What's next, BikesDirect shills?
LOL,
It isn't a matter of affording those brands for me. There isn't any difference is quality of frames from my Sportrx frames. They are black plastic with rubber parts. Name brand costs are the only difference. I need a prescription so any quality differences in lenses is negated for me. I can make "cheap look good", guess you can't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.