Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Odd obsticale on my daily commute.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 09:03 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, today on my way home from the college I commute too I was going down the road and there was a tree in the middle of the road. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it but I didn't think about that until I was already past it. It was just odd to me because today was an extremely hot day (just like all week has been so far) and there were no storms or lightning or even wind so I had no idea of what could have taken it down except for just age.

I also wonder what was going through the minds of the people in cars on the other side of it turning around when I came charging out of it with my bike in hand!
Old 07-20-11, 09:56 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
On my way home yesterday, the road was blocked by an upside down car in the middle of the road. I didn't see the crash. A police car and tow truck were already on the scene by the time I arrived. It looked pretty bad, though.
Old 07-20-11, 10:00 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that tops mine, but there weren't any service vehicle there of any kind at the tree. Most vehicles were even taking different routes before they got to it as if it was a regular thing. I just though it was funny thinking of what the people in the cars were thinking when I came running out of the tree, it was a pretty large tree.

I hope the people in the car you saw were ok.
Old 07-20-11, 10:27 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Last week while riding home in the dark I got a bit of a jolt.
On one of the fastest downhill parts of my ride the road makes a pretty sharp S turn with blind corners. There have been many accidents there over the years, several of them fatal and the State transpo dept. is just starting an improvement project to straighten out the curves and improve sight distance. I'm in the bike lane hauling ass at about 32 MPH and leaning into the blind curve and darn near run into the tripod type "Caution Road Work" sign that had been set up and left RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING BIKE LANE!
It was hairy enough having to veer out onto traffic to avoid the sign but if I had been paying a tad less attention I would have probably wrecked. The real pisser is that they had quit for the day and left the sign up.
Way to go on improving safety.
Old 07-21-11, 07:53 AM
chrisb71

Bikes: 09 Jamis Aurora, 4 Giant ATX 870, 64 Schwin Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, so I imagine they were thinking "this blind turn is dangerous and people can't see around it, so let's put the lane blocking work signs just after the turn where people can't see them, rather than right before the turn. I'm sure there will be no problem."
Old 07-21-11, 10:05 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ira B
On one of the fastest downhill parts of my ride the road makes a pretty sharp S turn with blind corners. There have been many accidents there over the years, several of them fatal and the State transpo dept. is just starting an improvement project to straighten out the curves and improve sight distance.
Hmph. I think roads need more curves, not fewer.
Old 07-21-11, 12:43 PM
Koa C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago or so - referring to the op - There was a tree down going right across the bike path. It wasn't just a little tree either and there was a hill on oneside and the ocean on the other so I couldn't go around it. I had to shoulder my bike with full panniers and climb over the tree. I got over about 3 branches and was able to drop my bike down on the other side and then climb down. It was pretty windy the night before and there was probably termites in there since it was a pretty old tree.
Old 07-21-11, 12:51 PM
wisaunders

Bikes: 2013 Carve with Rigid Salsa Fargo & 2005 Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a train crossing that i get stuck at about once a week. The thing that really sucks is that the train actually comes to a complete stop for about 5 minutes while its blocking the road. Of course, I pass the line of cars and am number one taking off when the train clears, but when that train is stopped, I'm always thinking "Don’t be a puss, climb up on the train and carry your bike over it" It stops for 5 minutes every time, I know I could make it. But, I know the time i tried it, the damn thing would start up and I'd fall and get run over.
Old 07-21-11, 01:15 PM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That was the dumbest thing about it. There was no way any driver could see that sign until they were almost on top of it.

Originally Posted by chrisb71
wow, so I imagine they were thinking "this blind turn is dangerous and people can't see around it, so let's put the lane blocking work signs just after the turn where people can't see them, rather than right before the turn. I'm sure there will be no problem."