Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any Older Parents With Young Children?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 01:37 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had my son when I was 45.
I'm 51, now, and he will be entering 1st. grade.
Would like to start a discussion about the challenges of having a child when you are older. I'm thinking, 40+ when you've had kids.
I think I'm more patient as an older person, and certainly wasn't ready, even in my 30's. I'm a goof-off and love to clown around, so that helps, but his energy level is off the charts and he can go ALL DAY LONG.
Can get a bit much, sometimes, as he is a healthy, normal kid who always wants to play.
He is reading pretty well now, but would rather watch TV or goof around. It's kind of frustrating, because I know he has a reading gift and could learn so much, but hey, he's only 5, going on 6 in August.
I have some longtime friends whose kids are in high school and/or entering college.
So, any other older folks with young children?

S
Old 07-07-13, 03:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Is this your first?

Take each day for what it is because every stage of development has it's own set of challenges and joys.
Old 07-07-13, 03:51 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
My father was 40 when I was born, and I was 40 when my youngest son was born. My youngest was the smartest and the most driven over achiever of the 3. He went to the Navy and made 2nd Class Petty Officer, when most only make 3rd Class. He then went to college and graduated Maga *** Lauda. In the case of this son me being older sure didnt hurt him any.
Old 07-07-13, 04:38 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
My father was 40 when I was born, and I was 40 when my youngest son was born. My youngest was the smartest and the most driven over achiever of the 3. He went to the Navy and made 2nd Class Petty Officer, when most only make 3rd Class. He then went to college and graduated Maga *** Lauda. In the case of this son me being older sure didnt hurt him any.
I was 50 when my daughter was born, she is now 20 months old, man when your in your 20's then not sleeping for a year is easy, when your 50 it is a lot harder to do. Your near age friends are all looking at grandchildren, and any thoughts of retiring, ever, go out the window.....
Old 07-07-13, 05:51 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
I was 50 when my daughter was born, she is now 20 months old, man when your in your 20's then not sleeping for a year is easy, when your 50 it is a lot harder to do. Your near age friends are all looking at grandchildren, and any thoughts of retiring, ever, go out the window.....
Later start than me!
I'll be around 64 when he graduates from high school.
It's fun, and he is a joy, but it'd be nice to talk about
something other than SpongeBob or Despicable Me!
We're pretty strict with him and don't let him get away
with stuff. He does well in school and no major problems.
He's mostly just chatty in class and easily distracted.
But, he's promised to take care of me when I'm old, and
I'm holding him to it.

S
Old 07-07-13, 07:09 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I was 51 when my daughter was born and she is now 14. The best advice I can give you is to enjoy every day, because they grow up so rapidly. Lots of surprises. I never expected a Formula I fan who likes to discuss the genetics and politics of European royalty and sings "Flower of Scotland" while doing her homework.

Paul
Old 07-07-13, 07:14 PM
Pluto

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got you all beat (so far)...I'm almost 64 with an 11 year old son. He's a great kid, but being older does have its challenges. My oldest child, daughter, is 41 and my middle son is 34. I also have five grandkids.
Old 07-07-13, 07:21 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had my first daughter when I was 26 and my second when I was 44. It was like night and day. I am now 57 and I have a 13 YO girl in the house - starting into the difficult years. Each child is different. My older daughter was smart but not until her 20's did she "wake up" - took 7 years to get through college but is doing very well now. My younger daughter is an over achiever academically, musically and athletically, pushers herself to try to be the best at everything she does but also does not get discouraged or give up when she is not. The biggest concern that I have is being able to address what will certainly be an astronomical college bill just as I am ready to retire. I am throwing everything I can at that now, wife went back to work so we can be ready.
Old 07-08-13, 05:40 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my daughter was born, my father laughed.
"What?" I said. "Forty's not too old to have a baby."
"No. But 55 is too old to have a teen-ager."
My story is similar to cyclinfool's: a hardworking daughter (28 next week) with more motivation than I ever had. And my concerns about college were the same. She started two years before I'd planned to retire, which was OK because I liked my job and didn't mind staying, and she won a $10,000 scholarship, which took a lot of the sting out of a state college. But she went to Nevada-Las Vegas and sort of got caught up in the lifestyle there--nothing serious, but her grades fell off and she lost the scholarship, then was put on probation.
How to handle that was the first serious disagreement my wife and I had had in years. I wanted to take a harder line, but she prevailed and we paid rent, living expenses and even car insurance while my daughter "looked for a job."
Finally, after nearly two years, I told her she was on her own: this is the last dollar you'll get from me until you get yourself under control. By that time she was 23 and beginning to show signs of adulthood. She stepped up, got a job as a cocktail waitress and soon was making ~$1000 a week in salary and tips. We were afraid that was the end of her education, but six months serving drunks showed her there were better careers. She re-enrolled in school, got married last fall and will graduate in January.
Moral of a long story: it doesn't always go the way you'd like, but don't give up. And as for the child wearing you out, keep up as well as you can. Sooner than you can imagine, you'll be wishing you had another go-round.
Old 07-08-13, 06:44 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was almost 40 -- 39.6, approximately when my only daughter was born. I was 30 when I married, my wife 25. We thought we'd wait a 'couple of years' at most. Turned into nine before She arrived. :-) I'm 54 now and she'll be headed for college in three years. So, hopefully she'll graduate before I retire. Maybe LONG before, depending on how things go!

I think having kids when older certainly has an impact on your 'second half' years, since they're at home much longer as it were. However, we seemed to have missed the financial scrapes common to so many young parents. Whether that would have happened regardless, who knows. What I do know is that I have more grey on top than most of her friends' parents. Oh well.
Old 07-09-13, 05:20 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not the oldest on this thread with young kids but close to it. I'm 59 and have one who just finished 1st grade (age 7) and one who just finished 3rd grade (age 9). Both are boys. No other children. I married when I was 45 and was 50 when the first was born. I've often done things later than most, so it doesn't bother me. It's a challenge at times, especially finding opportunities to ride. I'm not worried about how old I'll be when they graduate, marry, etc. That will work out.

And, BTW, I'm divorced, their mom moved away, and I have custody.
Old 07-09-13, 11:48 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm almost 53 and I have a 22 year old and a 10 year old. Yes it is a lot harder keeping up with the young one. She has endless energy and doesn't stop or even slow down until her head hits the pillow at night. It can be exhausting, but I wouldn't change it for anything. We have her involved in a very active and time consuming sport (gymnastics) that helps absorb much of her energy. But it can still be hard filling her days with activities, especially during the summer. Having playmates and friends nearby is a big help.

The plan was that the second child would keep us young, but there are times when she makes us feel so old!
Old 07-09-13, 01:40 PM
Daddy
Newbe

Bikes: ActionBent T1 Tadpole trike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm now seventy one with an eighteen year old who I single-highhandedly raised since he was one. With one 10-minute school tardy K-12 and a hand full of days absence - seven during that time, NONE IN HS (perfect), anhonor student, voted most talented by his fellow Seniors, accepted by University of Tennessee - Knoxville College of Engineering beginning Fall 2013 (1 of 4300 Freshmen out of 15,000 applicants, I found out there is no such thing as, 'Dad's Night Out'!

The most challenging job I ever had....................! Also the most rewarding.

I ride a recumbent trike because it's........., BREAK TIME! FYI: On rare occasions I ride with another vintage cyclist in this group, 10-wheels. I think he was looking to the future when he chose that ID thinking perhaps that's how many wheels it will eventually take to keep him upright on a 2-wheel!

Let's ride!
Old 07-09-13, 06:58 PM
K100Fran 

Bikes: 1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fifty and my only child, a girl, is five. We tried for two years until we finally had a successful pregnancy. We waited a bit and tried and tried to get her a baby brother or sister and 4 miscarriages later we finally said "I'm too old for another" But if another comes along we'll do the best we can :>)

I bought a Weehoo trailer and she absolutely loves it. She has her water bottle and snacks and has a blast yelling faster Daddy faster! So far the longest rid she's been on with me is 22 miles on the W&OD trail.
v/r
Fran