Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Oh Dear - Oh Deer - Oh Dear - Oh Deer - Oh Dear - Oh Dear - Oh Dear!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 04:32 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Yep, 3 times today had to slow for deer crossing in front of me. One was a Bambi!!
Old 07-12-13, 05:13 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems like a good reason to be pack'n heat - think how full your freezer would be.
Old 07-12-13, 05:42 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts
I was riding near a hay field last weekend when I saw a whitetail in the middle of the field look up. As soon as she saw me she came running towards the road at full tilt at an angle to cut me off. I fooled her and was a just a little too fast for her to get on the road in front of me and she slowed by the edge of the field, I thought somewhat dejectedly, as I rode by. However, the next rider in our group was about 100 yards behind and when the whitetail realized there was still an opportunity to get out there in front of a rider she perked up and promptly did just that, causing that rider to have to brake sharply to avoid a close encounter of the furry kind.

I swear, they're out to get cyclists!
Old 07-12-13, 06:38 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better than this:

At first, Hollan tried to out-race the wolf, but the predator reeled him in with the ease of a peloton erasing the lead of a dope-free breakaway rider.
Old 07-12-13, 07:12 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Stopped yesterday and admired a large doe only a few feet off the trail. So numerous here they have an in town bow season. It'd be more sporting to use a baseball bat.
Old 07-12-13, 11:13 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Seems like a good reason to be pack'n heat
We have a large flower garden in the back yard, while we often have a bit of trouble with the deer dining there, a couple days ago my wife came in saying that the deer had easily eaten over a hundred flower blossoms and not quite opened flower buds. Must have been a Mom and some hungry young ones.

I think she's shopping for a rifle.
Old 07-13-13, 10:17 AM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobertL
We have a large flower garden in the back yard, while we often have a bit of trouble with the deer dining there, a couple days ago my wife came in saying that the deer had easily eaten over a hundred flower blossoms and not quite opened flower buds. Must have been a Mom and some hungry young ones.

A single strand electric fence might be better. The hoof prints from a deer who had hit one are amazing.
Old 07-13-13, 10:24 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the deer do seem to be out. My son saw a doe and fawn in the middle of the river. He was most disappointed when he couldn't get the password in his new phone/camera/music player/internet thingy/? fast enough for a picture.
Old 07-13-13, 11:52 AM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, I'm just trying to figure out your logic for the thread title. Dear oh Deer or is it Deer oh Dear

Where I ride we don't have to worry about deer, just coyotes, snakes, tarantulas, armadillo, wild hogs, bobcats, etc.

I have done a few rides out of town in areas where there were a lot of deer, they are an interesting new obstacle.
Old 07-13-13, 12:20 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Had 3 cross in front of me the other night. A few years back I had to brake hard because it would have T-boned me. This is why I avidly and joyfully hunt them every fall. Revenge.
Old 07-14-13, 04:09 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I swear I've had some deer decide they want to race me.
Old 07-14-13, 04:24 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts

Deer love apples. 22 long rifle caliber headshots are relatively quiet. Not that I'd suggest you poach or anything. I'm just sayin'.
Old 07-14-13, 05:37 PM
McCallum

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A year or so ago had one come walking across the road stop then see me coming at about 15 mph; the look on the deer's face was akin to the title of this thread. The deer had an issue with the gravel that was on the road; the pavement ended about where the deer stood; deer throw gravel trying to exit stage left! The Deer did not concern me in that I had seen it about two block before it saw me. Have seen deer at the same place two or three other times; once the deer was mart enough to just drop in the cover it was in; the other time the deer did try to out run me. Poor doe had to stop and change direction cause she lost the race.
Old 07-14-13, 05:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwc5830
Heck, I'm just trying to figure out your logic for the thread title. Dear oh Deer or is it Deer oh Dear
There is supposed to be logic for a thread title??

Oh dear!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-14-13 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 05:37 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo
A single strand electric fence might be better. The hoof prints from a deer who had hit one are amazing.
Nope, they quickly learn about electric fences. I've watched month-old bambis walk up to the electric fence around our horse pasture, rear back, and easily clear the top wire at 5 feet.
Old 07-15-13, 05:50 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I am not lying, my wife sent deer stew in my lunch today.
Old 07-15-13, 06:57 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
Deer love apples. 22 long rifle caliber headshots are relatively quiet. Not that I'd suggest you poach or anything. I'm just sayin'.
Stand inside the house and fire out of a slightly opened. The house acts as baffling. Little sound escapes. Use a scope, too, aiming just behind the eye socket. Don't ask me how I know this.

My wife gets so angry at deer eating her flowers, that I think she'd kill them with a machete if she could.
Old 07-15-13, 07:18 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Like that one woman that wrote into the paper if the park people would quit putting up deer crossing signs, those darn deer wouldnt cross there.
Old 07-15-13, 01:01 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

Don't blame her a bit. I had planted roses next to my deck. They were just starting to bloom, some just opening, some still buds. One morning I walked out to see how my flowers where doing and they were GONE. All of them. They were cut so clean it was like somebody had used a pruning shear. I got so aggravated I reached down and ripped them out of the ground bare handed, right then and there.
Old 07-17-13, 11:51 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have to admit to enjoying all the wildlife that is about these days but they can be pests. I'm sure the wildlife feels the same about us. My brother-in-law is an apple grower and deer love to forage on new buds every year and the bark on young trees.

As a boy, living in a rural community of upstate New York, there were a few deer around but there are many more now, and turkeys and grouse and everything else. I've wondered if the recent proliferation is a natural cycle or what conditions have changed to make it possible. Even mountain lions seem to be moving back in and possibly wolves.
Old 07-19-13, 08:24 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Check this out for caller with deer crossing suggestions: https://gawker.com/5951372/radio-show...ions-with-deer