Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thinking of building a weed wacker bike, rear hub question.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 12:37 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
I've recently got it in my head that I want to build a weed wacker gas powered bike. However, I have a few stipulations.
  • The bike should ride perfectly normal with the motor removed.
  • I don't want to have to pedal when the motor is running. (I think that's dangerous.)
  • The motor must have a clutch.
  • Minimal modification to the bike itself.

Basically I want to use a weed wacker motor because they have a centrifugal clutch. Here's the hub question.

I would LIKE to use a flip flop hub or a hub that supports disk brakes so that I can attach the motor chain/belt to the left side of the bike, leaving the cassette and derailleur alone. Here are the questions.
  1. Are flip flop hubs too wide to support a normal cassette on one side?
  2. Would I be able to put a disk brake hub on my non disk brake bike? (Maybe with a bit of bending?)
  3. Can I modify the disk brake hub's axle so that the hub is OUTSIDE of the frame, so I can use the biggest gear I can find?

I honestly think the disk brake hub would be the best idea, as most have threaded holes ready to accept a disk brake. I'd just have to find a gear or pulley that I can drill that hole pattern on to and I'd be golden.

The reason I don't want to simply attach it to the existing gears or chain is because I don't want to HAVE to pedal. If I run it off of a disk brake hub, the cassette will still spin freely, allowing me to coast if I'd like. I also think it's dangerous to have the pedals attached to the motor. Good way to whack your shins, hard.
Old 10-21-14, 01:15 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Hi all,
I've recently got it in my head that I want to build a weed wacker gas powered bike. However, I have a few stipulations.
  • I don't want to have to pedal when the motor is running. (I think that's dangerous.)

Basically I want to use a weed wacker motor because they have a centrifugal clutch. Here's the hub question.

I would LIKE to use a flip flop hub or a hub that supports disk brakes so that I can attach the motor chain/belt to the left side of the bike, leaving the cassette and derailleur alone. Here are the questions.
  2. Would I be able to put a disk brake hub on my non disk brake bike? (Maybe with a bit of bending?)
  3. Can I modify the disk brake hub's axle so that the hub is OUTSIDE of the frame, so I can use the biggest gear I can find?

I honestly think the disk brake hub would be the best idea, as most have threaded holes ready to accept a disk brake. I'd just have to find a gear or pulley that I can drill that hole pattern on to and I'd be golden.

The reason I don't want to simply attach it to the existing gears or chain is because I don't want to HAVE to pedal. If I run it off of a disk brake hub, the cassette will still spin freely, allowing me to coast if I'd like. I also think it's dangerous to have the pedals attached to the motor. Good way to whack your shins, hard.
You're asking a lot from a kludged-together system and not giving a lot of info. Also, this might not be the best forum for asking about motorized bicycles -- there's others out there and if I knew of any offhand, I'd list them.

- You can have a bike which is perfectly normal with the motor removed, but the removal and addition process could be extremely onerous and it might be a trade off, reliability vs. conversionable.
- Not sure why you think it would be dangerous to pedal with the motor running -- if the motor ever outruns you, you'll be freewheeling. I'd be more worried about the bike outrunning the motor.
- Most motors don't have a clutch, the ones which do aren't generally used for powering something needing torque like a bike.

What size of weed whacker motor? Anything below 50cc and you will be hard pressed to keep the bike up to speed without pedaling.

1. Flip flop hubs are too wide to fit much more than a 5sp freewheel. You should be thinking single-speed conversion at the same time you are doing this.
2. You should be able to fit a disk hub of some kind to your non disk bike. You need to check hub widths (OLD) to plan things out. Also, there are companies making bolt-on cogs with standard 6-bolt disk mounting holes.
3. Theoretically, you could work things out so that the drive cog is on the outside of the frame, but not without a lot of planning, machining, etc.

Mount the motor on a rear rack with a drive line down to the non drive side and see how things work out.
Old 10-21-14, 01:25 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I don't want to motor powering the pedals. If I would attach the motor to the cassette or to the existing chain (somehow), the motor would not only be powering the wheel, but also the pedals. I think THAT'S dangerous. I want my bike to be able to do both. I want to be able to pedal, but also use the motor once I get up to speed. I'll look at some bolt on cogs. I've seen a few used for motorized bikes on the google.

Honestly, now that I think about it, this isn't going to work.

I wanted to have a motorized bike which would make it easier for me to ride through various inches of snow in the wintertime. Sometimes, even in my lowest gear, it's still very hard when there's a lot of snow. But, to use a motor in that case I'd have to use a very torquey motor, not a weedwacker motor. A chainsaw motor might work, but those are harder to find. Guess I'll just have to work on my legs of steel this winter!

Last edited by corrado33; 10-21-14 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 02:39 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
When I read the title to this thread, I thought you were constructing a weed whacker powered by pedaling. I like that idea better.
Old 10-21-14, 03:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The ward for those afflicted with this condition were sent off to: https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...-bicycles.html
Old 10-21-14, 03:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The ward for those afflicted with this condition were sent off to: https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...-bicycles.html
+1. Posting these kinds of questions outside of that forum opens you up to being called a "lazy sod" or similar.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-21-14, 03:42 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
+1. Posting these kinds of questions outside of that forum opens you up to being called a "lazy sod" or similar.
Meh, people can call me what they wish, but I am by no means a lazy sod.

My intention for this bike was for it to allow me to power through heavy snowfall, not ride along on the street. Hence why I've given it up. Although there is an electric lawnmower for free on my local craigslist. I may be able to whip up an H bridge and some control circuits and have an electric bike. That'd be fun.
Old 10-21-14, 05:16 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
when i read the title to this thread, i thought you were constructing a weed whacker powered by pedaling. I like that idea better.
+1

bicycle/pedal powered everything!!!
Old 10-21-14, 05:29 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
If you want to grind through snow, then maybe all you need to do is drop the gearing way down.

Even a fat bike is pretty limited though about how deep you deal with.

As someone with a fat bike, and a bike with studs and super-low gearing, I have to admit that bikes cannot solve all snow problems. Sometimes feet just work better.

Jim
Old 10-22-14, 07:05 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Before I'd consider a weed whacker conversion, I'd spend dosh on a front electric motor wheel and associated controller/battery pack. With rider pedaling and electric assist up front, 2wd bike...
Old 10-22-14, 07:39 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Hi all,

You could do something like this: Golden Eagle Bike Engines | Mount Kit only ? without the Engine 36 Spoke

Big drive ring that is affixed to the spokes of the rear wheel and small drive pulley on the motor would give you a decent drive reduction. You can use a motor with centrifugal clutch. If you wish to stop pedaling the rear wheel will freewheel. It won't drive the pedals.
Old 10-27-14, 06:31 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
When I read the title to this thread, I thought you were constructing a weed whacker powered by pedaling. I like that idea better.
I thought that too. I was going to suggest a rowing-machine type setup instead as that would make it easier to position the flywheel in the horizontal position.