Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1986 Nashbar Race SIS - just bought please advise

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1986 Nashbar Race SIS - just bought please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 07:03 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,123 Posts
Nowadays and for all days, a can of Mastic will last a long time, is less expensive than tape, and makes repairs a breeze.
Old 01-07-24, 07:24 AM
brewerkz 

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Madison, '46 Higgins Ultralite, 1950s Wally Green, '85 Trek 660, '82 3Rensho Export, '90 Trek 970, '91 Schwinn Paramount, '78 Dawes, '78 Trek 730

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 114 Posts
as others have said
1. remove and sell the saddle to fund your upgrades or at least preserve it.
2. go thru the bike and regrease the various bearings, maybe switch to sealed BB, may need to recable it as well, have the wheels trued. check if brake pads are stopping well or are dried out and hard.
3. put a new set of tubulars on (or watch for a set of 6 speed 700C clinchers to buy), make sure they have the same hub width, and a 6 speed freewheel fits your derailleur capability.
4. don't repaint it, just clean it up as a very nice rider. Clean off the frame, give it a good coating of car wax. It doesn't have much restoration value, actually more parted out value then value as a complete bike.

Last edited by brewerkz; 01-07-24 at 07:25 AM. Reason: grammer
Likes For brewerkz:
Old 01-07-24, 09:24 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
It's a good bike and might do you well. .....Looks big for 5/11 but you have to ride it to see. ....
​​​​​​
When i first put my hands on the bike it seemed very small and i was dissapointed that i wouldn't be able to ride it.

I measured the seat tube from the center of the crank to the top of the tube and it is exactly 23" (58.42cm). I checked the chart and things were looking up.

Then i pumped up the tires and stood over it and i could comfortably stand flat footed but it is touching with virtually no space between me and the top tube.

With the saddle in the lowest position I can touch the ground with both feet on my tip toes. Any higher than a half inch or so and I wouldn't be able to.

I'm just wondering because in all the photos of road bikes I see, the seat is always up several inches but mine is all the way down.

I'm thinking you might be right and I need a 22" frame instead.

I also tested my wingspan to height ratio and it is 1.06.

I read that if it is greater than 1, then a bigger frame than is indicated in the chart can be used.

What do you think?

Last edited by BikePower; 01-07-24 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 10:52 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
​​​​
With the saddle in the lowest position I can touch the ground with both feet on my tip toes. Any higher than a half inch or so and I wouldn't be able to.

I'm just wondering because in all the photos of road bikes I see, the seat is always up several inches but mine is all the way down.
There is no need to touch the ground with your bum on the saddle. As you slow down, stand on the pedals and get yourself ahead of the saddle, so that you can put one foot at pedal-bottom to hold your weight while your hips lower and the other foot reaches down to the ground.
Likes For tgot:
Old 01-08-24, 06:40 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 1,623 Times in 750 Posts
What do you think?
I can't put both feet down on tiptoe from the saddle, just one foot plus a bit of tipping. I think you're good.
Old 01-08-24, 07:16 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 453 Posts
that's a sweet bike. I would service it and keep it mostly original.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-08-24, 08:02 AM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 94 Posts
That sticker with the 'Lot' number may indicate it was sold at an auction at some point. Cool, quality bike. I'd leave it as is, original and do the minimum to get it to nice riding condition. Not much value except to someone who had one in the day and is trying to find another.
Likes For cegerer:
Old 01-08-24, 01:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10498 Post(s)
Liked 12,026 Times in 6,156 Posts
When i first put my hands on the bike it seemed very small and i was dissapointed that i wouldn't be able to ride it.

I measured the seat tube from the center of the crank to the top of the tube and it is exactly 23" (58.42cm). I checked the chart and things were looking up.

Then i pumped up the tires and stood over it and i could comfortably stand flat footed but it is touching with virtually no space between me and the top tube.

I'm thinking you might be right and I need a 22" frame instead.

I also tested my wingspan to height ratio and it is 1.06.

I read that if it is greater than 1, then a bigger frame than is indicated in the chart can be used.

What do you think?
As others have said, you don't need both feet to touch the ground from the saddle. If you set your saddle height that way, your saddle will be MUCH too low! You should never be on the saddle when you come to a stop.

A good rule of thumb for saddle height is this: sitting on the saddle where you'd normally sit, set the height so you can JUST put your heel on the pedal with the pedal as far away as possible, and your leg straight. That way, with your foot on the pedal so that the ball of your foot is directly over the spindle, your leg will be slightly bent.

Once you've done that, if the saddle STILL seems too low (i.e. slammed down onto the top tube, then, yeah, the bike is too large for you.

Regarding that chart - it's really just guidelines. The length of your legs relative to your overall height is the key.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-10-24, 02:50 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I was referring to your comment about painting it. Why the hell would you paint it? Have you ever painted a bike?
Ive painted cars, so I should be able to prep and paint a little bike. But, now that ive had time to think things through and spend time with her, theres no way I would paint it. Shes so gorgeous, Im loving this color now. and that 80s thing.. I cant deny that.

Last edited by BikePower; 01-10-24 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-10-24, 02:54 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by genejockey
As others have said, you don't need both feet to touch the ground from the saddle. If you set your saddle height that way, your saddle will be MUCH too low! You should never be on the saddle when you come to a stop.

A good rule of thumb for saddle height is this: sitting on the saddle where you'd normally sit, set the height so you can JUST put your heel on the pedal with the pedal as far away as possible, and your leg straight. That way, with your foot on the pedal so that the ball of your foot is directly over the spindle, your leg will be slightly bent.

Once you've done that, if the saddle STILL seems too low (i.e. slammed down onto the top tube, then, yeah, the bike is too large for you.

Regarding that chart - it's really just guidelines. The length of your legs relative to your overall height is the key.
Ok, I have the seat adjusted now and this is definitely the right size bike for me. I followed your instructions and all is well. Thank you.

Now its time to dial in my stem reach and rise. According to the one picture Ive seen from the catalog, the Cinelli stem and bars that's on there is not original. Neither are the bars. From what I gather the original stem is a 120 Nitto Pearl, black. I dont know what bars it came with originally but I would like to know. If anyone has a 1986, 1987 Nashbar catalog with that bikes specs in it, that would be incredible. The date on the bike is December 1986 so it may be built with 1986 or 1987 specs. Anyone know where I could see a catalog? Much appreciated.

Im working my way around the bike in my free time making a list of everything I need for the restoration. I am embarrassed to remember that I once considered stripping and painting this bike. I now realize the absurdity of that thought. The more time I spend with her, the more I love the color and 80s awesomeness.

This week Im ordering new tubies in blackwall, tire glue going with the Mastic because I understand that it can be moved if I need to unmount the tire and replace it while on the road.. Thats crucial.

I will post up progress pictures as I go along in case anyone is interested.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-10-24, 08:18 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Cool bike! I'm with the others, don't repaint it. I can never understand why folks want to immediately paint their new-to-them bike. The other day a friend asked if I had a bike to sell for her son going to college. Sure enough, I did. A nice little Specialized Hard Rock, the ones known for their cool paint jobs. He comes over, looks at it, barely takes it down the driveway, pays, and then says "I can't wait to paint it orange."
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-11-24, 09:15 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by brewerkz
as others have said
1. remove and sell the saddle to fund your upgrades or at least preserve it.....
I removed the saddle to preserve it as you advised. Its very comfortable and doesnt hurt at all, but if its that valuable I dont want to diminish it for someone who really wants that specific saddle. Now Im on the hunt for a black leather saddle that fits my pelvis properly and doesnt put pressure on the perineum.
Old 01-12-24, 08:36 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 3,223 Times in 2,030 Posts
I removed the saddle to preserve it as you advised. Its very comfortable and doesnt hurt at all, but if its that valuable I dont want to diminish it for someone who really wants that specific saddle. Now Im on the hunt for a black leather saddle that fits my pelvis properly and doesnt put pressure on the perineum.
Selle Italia SLR Max Gel is one of the most comfortable I have used. Have several of them on bikes and in the stash. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18622398917...Bk9SR9SpneGfYw

Also, some of the men's Terrys.

​​​​​​
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 01-12-24, 01:44 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Selle Italia SLR Max Gel is one of the most comfortable I have used. Have several of them on bikes and in the stash.

​​​​​​
Thanks Jdawg! Its on the way!!
Old 01-12-24, 02:31 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
The other day a friend asked if I had a bike to sell for her son going to college. Sure enough, I did. A nice little Specialized Hard Rock, the ones known for their cool paint jobs. He comes over, looks at it, barely takes it down the driveway, pays, and then says "I can't wait to paint it orange."
🎶I see a Hard Rock and I want to paint it orange. I have no taste in bikes, I want it to turn orange....🎶
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-12-24, 02:34 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
If you're in/near Collier or Lee county RUN, don't walk and grab that Sirrus listed above. Granted, it's not the bargain you got, but as said, if it has clinchers, then you have two bikes between which you can swap wheels.

I don't remember the exact details, but don't try to put any other brand of handlebar, especially a flat bar, on that Cinelli stem. It's a slightly different clamp diameter, and the stem won't ever clamp down tightly on another bar, and you can damage the stem trying to get it to do so (not that I would know first-hand or anything....cough....cough....). In fact, if you're really fixed on switching to a flat bar, I would remove the bar/stem together, with the brake levers and cables in place, so you can sell that as an assembly. You would need flat-bar brake levers anyway.

That said, I would seriously think twice about running a flat bar with downtube shifters. My wife tried that for a while, and didn't like that reach. She went back to drop bars. That Sirrus in Ft Myers is set up that way; if you buy it, you could use that as your "test dummy" for such a setup.

And joining the chorus - don't repaint it.
Old 01-12-24, 05:52 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by madpogue
That said, I would seriously think twice about running a flat bar with downtube shifters. My wife tried that for a while, and didn't like that reach. She went back to drop bars......

...And joining the chorus - don't repaint it.
I thought about the downtube shifter thing also, definitely will take practice. I was thinking bullhorn, moustache, or albatross bars in that order.

And once again for the record i have no intention of painting the bike. For a moment it crossed my mind when i first saw it but now i realize it would be blasphemy and a crime against the c and v community. Its a gorgeous color and styling, the epitome of the 80s.
Old 01-23-24, 01:49 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Classtime
Your bike is made for 700c wheels so not 27 X anything.
1.25 is 32mm and many 80s race bikes were made for 23s or 25s will take 25s and maybe 28s.
well i bought tires for it but they seem small? Is this the right size?
Old 01-23-24, 02:27 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,803 Posts
That right there tells me it's too big for you.
Old 01-23-24, 02:30 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,123 Posts
Those are ok first tubulars. Expensive tires ride nicer. If you got a deal, your good. But, the rally’s I had were very difficult to patch because the base tape is very very hard to peel back and get access to the tube.

23s we’re very fast in 1986. I can’t imagine they have slowed down much. 😉
Old 01-23-24, 02:54 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by smd4
That right there tells me it's too big for you.
how much space should there be with a properly sized bike?
Old 01-23-24, 03:12 PM
smd4

I would have suggested that you be able to lift the front wheel an inch before hitting anything.

But, as the saying goes, YMMV. It is a pretty nice bike.
Old 01-23-24, 03:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,191 Times in 1,335 Posts
For me it is not about clearance standing flat footed, it is about knee and torso comfort and staying balanced.

I personally like KOPS or slightly back and I want to feel comfortable in the drops without feeling too scrunched or too laid out. Swapping stems to get there while still being balanced fore and aft is fine.

Ideally being to ride hands free, and not too much pressure on hands while on the hoods or in the drops.

I’ve traditionally ridden bikes a little too big for me, long torso. I have also gone down on both road and mountain bikes. Lack of standover height never an issue. Unfortunately other areas of my body not always so lucky.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-23-24 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-23-24, 03:49 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 984 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I would have suggested that you be able to lift the front wheel an inch before hitting anything.

But, as the saying goes, YMMV. It is a pretty nice bike.
There is no real hard and fast rule. Was it Eddy Merckx or Greg Lemond who said there should be a fistful of seat post showing. Of course that is a completely subjective and very murky rule. Some frames stick out above the top tube more than others. Some seatpost have more height above the 'post' than others. And of course everyone's fist is a different size. So in the end there is really no ironclad rule. As long as you can stand over the top tube without going 'ouch' you're golden. Or you could even disregard that rule. Jean Robic at 5' tall, could not stand over his bikes but that didn't stop him from winning a Tour De France:
Old 01-23-24, 03:54 PM
smd4

Fine. Still recommend 1” clearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.