Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Battery questions

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 07:32 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Battery questions

What is that lifespan of the average e-Bike battery? Are they recyclable?
Old 04-01-24, 07:52 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I think Shimano claims that their battery will still retain 60% of its original charge capacity after two years or 500 charge cycles. Based on my experience so far, I have to say that's pretty close to correct. I don't know if or where they can be recycled.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-01-24, 08:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
Call2Recycle would be a great resource towards recycling and EOL for batteries. In terms of battery life I generally tell people anywhere around 2-10 years or more depending on how you charge it and use it and store it, etc... I have known people who have had batteries for 5 years and still going just fine and some people who have fried their batteries in a year (Rosenberger plug with a piece of metal in between it and the charge port).
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-02-24, 03:49 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Apparently, Bosch claims that their batteries are good for 10 years or 1500 full charge cycles.
Likes For Aushiker:
Old 04-02-24, 08:25 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 206 Posts
It really depends on how you treat it.

If you charge and discharge it fully every day, it would have one lifespan.

If you charge it to 80% and only discharge it to 20% every day, it would last 2-3X as long.

If you're storing it for several months at ~ 50% state of charge, that will change things too.

If you charge it fully, then leave it sitting around like that, you'll easily cut battery life in half.

How hot the pack is will also have an impact on lifespan.

Sorry, but there's no clear answer.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 04-02-24, 10:06 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
It really depends on how you treat it.

If you charge and discharge it fully every day, it would have one lifespan.

If you charge it to 80% and only discharge it to 20% every day, it would last 2-3X as long.

If you're storing it for several months at ~ 50% state of charge, that will change things too.

If you charge it fully, then leave it sitting around like that, you'll easily cut battery life in half.

How hot the pack is will also have an impact on lifespan.

Sorry, but there's no clear answer.
I agree, and add:
1) Don't charge the battery when its temp is below 50 F.
2) Don't let the battery remain at < 20% SOC (state of charge) ---if I deplete a battery below that when riding, i charge immediately when I get home.
3) If you're using it in a very cold environment, keep it as warm as possible (I start out with mine at room temp if heading for the snow - rare in socal, but it's happened).
The battery on my seven year old, lightly used Haibike doesn't show signs of deteriorating yet. I'll try it out today, but the last time I rode on some pretty steep trails, it used only 10 wh per mile.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-02-24, 10:37 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Originally Posted by 2old
I agree, and add:
1) Don't charge the battery when its temp is below 50 F.
It's OK to charge it as long as it's above freezing.

2) Don't let the battery remain at < 20% SOC (state of charge) ---if I deplete a battery below that when riding, i charge immediately when I get home.
It's OK to discharge the battery when it's below freezing; just not charge it. Also, capacity will be reduced when it's cold due to voltage drop.
Old 04-02-24, 10:41 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Yes they can be recycled!
Old 04-02-24, 10:55 AM
2old

Originally Posted by Smaug1
It's OK to charge it as long as it's above freezing.

It's OK to discharge the battery when it's below freezing; just not charge it. Also, capacity will be reduced when it's cold due to voltage drop.
I'll agree to disagree with you (and suggest you look up articles on prolonging the life of Li as it relates to charging and using). Forgot to add that charging at a slower rate is advisable.
Old 04-02-24, 10:56 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 193 Posts
Yes it depends on how you use the battery. Most of the time, my rides are short enough that I don't go below half charge. Then I will recharge til the battery is full, unless I know I won't be riding the bike for a while. I have six ebikes between my wife and me, so some bikes won't get recharged. I've got two lightly used batteries from 2015 and two more from 2017-2018 that also have light use, probably less than 300 charge cycles each, and they are still in use, I am sure they've lost some capacity, but since I usually do less than 20 miles, I don't notice.

The above implies batteries with decent cells. There are cheap batteries with low quality cells. You really can't predict what will happen with these. Now you're looking at a higher failure and wear out rate.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 04-02-24 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-02-24, 03:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
Also for those with a Bosch bike using their battery tool which probably not a lot of shops will have you can set the batteries into storage mode so it basically freezes them in time til you unfreeze and it is like normal again. It is something you do for multi month storage not normal I am gone for a couple weeks on vacation or I cannot ride for a month because of something. For that you want to keep the battery probably 40-60% just enough to keep the cells fed but not so they overeat and puke their guts out.

I would generally also not recommend charging at lower temps. I would say bring the batteries inside let them warm up and then charge. I don't think you will do any major damage if you charge above freezing once and while because you have to but if you can charge at a nice comfortable 60-75˚ that would be more ideal.
Old 04-02-24, 06:36 PM
2old

The battery on my seven year old, lightly used Haibike doesn't show signs of deteriorating yet. I'll try it out today, but the last time I rode on some pretty steep trails, it used only 10 wh per mile.[/QUOTE]

Today I rode my Haibike hardtail 15.5 miles (road, bike trail and off road; some hills which are hard to quantify; speed 10 mph - 32 mph; no wind; 230 pounds between me and the bike); used 36% of a 396 wh battery, so 143 wh or 9+ wh/mile; not too bad since that means about 40 miles on a charge.
Old 04-02-24, 07:17 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
so far one battery on my bosch has way over 14,000 miles on it the other has over 10,000 miles and two others I dont know. but I was riding 230 miles a week fro awhile now i am lucky to do 150
Old 04-02-24, 08:45 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

I'll agree to disagree with you (and suggest you look up articles on prolonging the life of Li as it relates to charging and using). Forgot to add that charging at a slower rate is advisable.
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...w-temperatures

In the table toward the top, it says charge above freezing. Further down it says:
Lithium Ion: Li-ion can be fast charged from 5°C to 45°C (41 to 113°F). Below 5°C, the charge current should be reduced, and no charging is permitted at freezing temperatures because of the reduced diffusion rates on the anode. During charge, the internal cell resistance causes a slight temperature rise that compensates for some of the cold.
So charging AT freezing is fine, at a low charge rate and charging them faster will raise the temperature.

Your earlier advice to not charge them below 50°F was maybe rounded up from 41? And certainly it is fine and more ideal for fast charging, but slow charging at 32°F is fine too.

I'm an engineer for a company that makes cordless Li-Ion power tools, and our battery suppliers all have similar recommendations as what I quoted above.
Old 04-02-24, 10:06 PM
2old

As stated, I'll agree to disagree, but am done arguing. I just reported what I've read in the past. Charge above 50F, keep the battery warm in cold temps (if for no other reason than it'll have more capacity) and don't charge too fast (I use a 2 amp charger, but that's because I'm never in a situation where I need to charge faster). Additionally, I'm here to help and learn. You seem to be here to argue and belittle. Goodbye!

Last edited by 2old; 04-03-24 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-03-24, 08:35 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts
The chemistry that produces electricity from a battery is pretty clearly understood. However, trying to understand the efficiency (or longevity) of batteries under differing temperatures and discharging cycles is terribly complex.
An additional life expectancy factor in multi-cell battery packages is the native voltage of the cells used as well their specific banking or wiring configuration. In other words - various battery packs will supply better or worse aspects of life expectancy depending on their usage and environment.

In addition, there are specific aspects of how the anodes and cathodes of battery cells are manufactured. It is my understanding that some batteries are designed to supply higher current values while other configurations produces a longer "shelf-life" or a greater number of discharge cycles. The specific formula of the "salt bridge" that restores the charge also plays a role in the life of a battery. These are factors considered and compromised on by manufacturers' experience.

In any case - as others have already so perfectly stated - avoid temperature changes and discharge/charge extremes. Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-03-24, 10:49 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

As stated, I'll agree to disagree, but am done arguing. I just reported what I've read in the past. Charge above 50F, keep the battery warm in cold temps (if for no other reason than it'll have more capacity) and don't charge too fast (I use a 2 amp charger, but that's because I'm never in a situation where I need to charge faster). Additionally, I'm here to help and learn. You seem to be here to argue and belittle. Goodbye!
Not belittling, for sure, I just want to make sure the correct information is being provided to those who ask.

At some point, we sometimes go from "the manufacturer/expert recommends xxx" to "...but I feel more comfortable doing yyy". That's an individual decision. Let everyone make their own interpretation of the facts, don't distort them on the way like a game of Telephone. ;-)

No hard feelings, I hope.