Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

super record vs athena eps

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 09:05 PM
Peter Bomberg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you were getting one of these groupset which would you pick? I love the look of the super record but will the EPS be nicer in the long run?

Peter
Old 08-17-14, 09:14 PM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have both... Weight, materials (carbon vs. aluminium) and aesthetics are the only differences. The Athena EPS functions just as well as the SR but the electronic parts are not cross compatible... IE you cant use SR derailleurs with Athena shifters, where SR and Record are cross compatible...reportedly the new Chorus EPS will also be cross compatible with Record and SR according to my local Campagnolo dealer.

Last edited by CALE262; 08-17-14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 09:23 PM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or are you meaning SR mechanical vs. Athena EPS?

I'd go with the EPS unless you're a weight weenie, EPS is incredible IMHO... I was a mechanical holdout until I actually rode EPS.
Old 08-18-14, 06:51 AM
Peter Bomberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes sorry I meant mechanical SR vs EPS Athena.
Old 08-18-14, 08:40 AM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough call. I think I'd split the difference and go with Chorus EPS. BTW - I love my Record EPS, and am toying with the idea of building up a commuter with Athena EPS (but probably won't ).
Old 08-19-14, 11:15 PM
Peter Bomberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly TReck only offers Athena or Super Record so Chorus is not an option.
Old 08-19-14, 11:50 PM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may be incorrect but I don't believe the Chorus EPS is available yet...
Old 08-20-14, 03:41 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Because Nibali won the TdF this year on mechanical SR, you have to buy that one.
Old 08-20-14, 06:34 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
I've used mechanical Chorus 11, SR11 and eventually ended up with SR11 EPS. I can only think of two major differences when comparing mechanical vs. electric, actually three.

- EPS cost more
- EPS shifts every time on the FD while under load (especially going small to big ring)
- EPS, easy to dial in and once its done, no need to touch it again.
Old 08-20-14, 09:26 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
I've used mechanical Chorus 11, SR11 and eventually ended up with SR11 EPS. I can only think of two major differences when comparing mechanical vs. electric, actually three.

- EPS cost more
- EPS shifts every time on the FD while under load (especially going small to big ring)
- EPS, easy to dial in and once its done, no need to touch it again.
Hi Primo,
You didn't mention the tactile feel difference. I believe 2015 will be a quasi watershed...non sequitur ...because Campy has addressed the high front derailleur shift force with longer lever arm front derailleur following Shimano's DA 9000 design lead. Otherwise current Campy mechanical has such great shift feel.

Reason why I don't go EPS aside from cost is, when I push on the small shift lever behind the brake lever, I can feel the loading of the cable just as the shift initiates and few things rival how good this feels in shifting and know when/if the shift is effectuated. The big dump button on the side has similar excellent feel and feedback with very acceptable force to initiate a shift.

No electronic button + servo can match this IMHO.

My Campy derailleurs really never need much touch up when it comes to tuning after initial installation. Maybe a half a turn of barrel adjuster once in a blue moon.

Because you are an enlightened Campy guy and bike guy all around, I always appreciate your good advice...and your comments about the Campy OverTorque crank are some of the best I have read on the web.
Best.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-20-14 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-20-14, 09:50 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Hi Primo,
You didn't mention the tactile feel difference. I believe 2015 will be a quasi watershed...non sequitur ...because Campy has addressed the high front derailleur shift force with longer lever arm front derailleur following Shimano's DA 9000 design lead. Otherwise current Campy mechanical has such great shift feel.

Reason why I don't go EPS aside from cost is, when I push on the small shift lever behind the brake lever, I can feel the loading of the cable just as the shift initiates and few things rival how good this feels in shifting and know when/if the shift is effectuated. The big dump button on the side has similar excellent feel and feedback with very acceptable force to initiate a shift.

No electronic button + servo can match this IMHO.

My Campy derailleurs really never need much touch up when it comes to tuning after initial installation. Maybe a half a turn of barrel adjuster once in a blue moon.

Because you are an enlightened Campy guy and bike guy all around, I always appreciate your good advice...and your comments about the Campy OverTorque crank are some of the best I have read on the web.
Best.
I'm no mechanic but when I saw what Shimano and Campagnolo did by lengthening the FD lever arm, I thought back a couple years ago when I was having some trouble dialing in a Sram FD. I remember telling my brother that if the FD lever arm was taller, cable pull would seem much easier, faster. Who knew?

I did forget to mention the tactile feel of the EPS shifters and thanks for bringing that up. Shifting upwards the cassette range, the tactile feedback on the EPS shifter comes very close to their mechanical counterparts. Just about effortless but not having the feeling as if I'm pressing buttons on the microwave oven. Regarding the thumb shifter on EPS, not as much tactile feedback as you've already mentioned.

I'm looking forward to Campagnolo's '15 lineup and won't mind going back to a mechanical groupset for a future build. Especially if the prices will closely mirror those of Shimano/Sram, its a no brainer for me.
Besides a better battery and interface design (which won't happen since Shimano holds the patent(s)) EPS doesn't really need anything else.
Old 08-20-14, 09:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cafe Bragging rights.
Old 08-20-14, 11:36 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by primov8
I'm no mechanic but when I saw what Shimano and Campagnolo did by lengthening the FD lever arm, I thought back a couple years ago when I was having some trouble dialing in a Sram FD. I remember telling my brother that if the FD lever arm was taller, cable pull would seem much easier, faster. Who knew?

I did forget to mention the tactile feel of the EPS shifters and thanks for bringing that up. Shifting upwards the cassette range, the tactile feedback on the EPS shifter comes very close to their mechanical counterparts. Just about effortless but not having the feeling as if I'm pressing buttons on the microwave oven. Regarding the thumb shifter on EPS, not as much tactile feedback as you've already mentioned.

I'm looking forward to Campagnolo's '15 lineup and won't mind going back to a mechanical groupset for a future build. Especially if the prices will closely mirror those of Shimano/Sram, its a no brainer for me.
Besides a better battery and interface design (which won't happen since Shimano holds the patent(s)) EPS doesn't really need anything else.
Primo,
Keep in mind, countless Di2 groupsets have been hacked to install a cheaper but much longer lasting seat tube battery and no doubt the same could be done with EPS. Don't know where the Canbuss chip is located in EPS but likely this has been done to move away from the factory battery and improve recharging interval and be cheaper.