Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Indoor Trainer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Indoor Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 11:14 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
KK makes a solid trainer that comes with excellent customer service should you ever have a problem. They are very well designed so the fluid cannot leak out (uses a magnetic coupling). Other fluid trainers have had issues in the past with fluid leaking so something to consider if you're buying used. Like others have mentioned, plan on getting the largest fan possible as you'll definitely miss the 20mph wind you normally get when riding.
Old 08-17-14, 11:51 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Crush the Miles
Hi Everyone - I am new to road biking...only been doing it for a few weeks. So far I absolutely love it and I am dreading the coming winter. I am looking at getting a indoor trainer so I can ride during the winter. Are there any that you all recommend? I don't want to get something that is really expensive, but I also want to get something that will last. I appreciate any insight you guys have. Thanks for the help.
Dude, you have every reason to dread it from a cycling perspective but love it as a skier or better still cross country skier.
Please though, August is the WRONG time to be talking about trainers. Closed this cursed thread now.
Old 08-17-14, 01:02 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I rode my trainer for an hour yesterday even though the weather was perfectly acceptable for riding in. I was checking fit with my new stem so I did Sufferfest - A Very Dark Place.
Old 08-17-14, 01:23 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I love the Wahoo Kickr... that and the segments app and I can do climbs all over the world.... but it's ~$1k
Old 08-17-14, 01:46 PM
Atakuweh

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Icon Pro, 2013 Jamis Allegro Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CycleOps Fluid 2 is what I've been using. It's easy to use the gears on your bike to increase/decrease resistance – some of the other types require you to put a separate control on your handlebars to accomplish that. Definitely a fan is a requirement even in the dead of winter with the windows wide open. One thing about using a trainer is that it's REALLY BORING!!! Set it up in front of the TV and watch replays of last season's grand tours on YouTube or something. For me about 30 minutes on the trainer seems like an eternity. Drape a small towel over your top tube to keep your sweat from dripping on the frame.

Another cool use for them is as a workstand if you don't have a dedicated one of those. And they're a great way to help analyze your fit and posture if you set up a still or video camera. Good too for working on your cadence and pedaling technique. I've been curious about using rollers as they allow you to better duplicate the feel of riding on the road, but the ones I've seen take up a lot of room. My CycleOps fits neatly under my living room table, out of the way but ready to go any time I want to use it. But yeah, nothing beats a real ride unless the streets are full of snow and salt.

Last edited by Atakuweh; 08-17-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 05:14 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by linnefaulk
I rarely sweat ON the bike. It's the stopping that makes me drenched.
I DID get wetter after I stopped. But I wore a regular cotton tee shirt and had noticed it was getting sweaty while still spinning. I am still surprised at how much fun I had on the trainer.... I didn't really expect that. My Midwest winter should be a better place this winter.
Old 08-17-14, 05:54 PM
Bakerb24

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Cycleops Fluid 2 off of Craigslist last winter for $200. Also came with a climbing block, pad, and a couple of DVDs. It's still running strong and I probably rode over 100 hours on it last winder. I'm planning on getting a Wahoo Kickr this fall.
Old 08-17-14, 07:14 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
As for type,
Rollers- Meh
Cycleops- Hated it
Kirk Kinetic Rock and Roll- Love it as far as trainers go but I really hate riding indoors.
Old 08-17-14, 08:12 PM
Anthony.L
New to Cycling

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Comp Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
I love the Wahoo Kickr... that and the segments app and I can do climbs all over the world.... but it's ~$1k
This. Soon as the rain sets in here in the Pacific NW I will be ordering a Wahoo KICKR to go with my 80" TV in the living room. Climbing mountains around the world while it rains outside.

Old 08-17-14, 09:43 PM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdntrxi

I have a Lemond Revolution which IMO is the best, true to road feeling trainer, I've had mag and fluid trainers which don't feel anything like riding on the road IMO.. I also use rollers once in a while during the winter. I'm planning on picking up the wahoo kicker this winter, a teammate has one and absolutely swears by it.

Old 08-20-14, 11:34 PM
Peter Bomberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried TrainerRoad with both the the Cycleops PowerBeam Ant+ and the Cyleops Fluid or Kurt Rock n Roll. There is a $1000+ price difference so I am trying to figure out if it's really worth it?
Old 08-21-14, 08:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Consider a fluid trainer.

Like the Nashbar fluid trainer, for example. I have an older version of that one which I purchased about a decade ago ... and it's still going.

Nashbar - Trainers

Nevermind winter ... I'm looking forward to having our trainers set up year round again. Soon ...!!!

I used to have my trainer set up in the corner of my living room year round, and it was so convenient. If I came home late, after a night class or something, I could hop on the trainer for 30 min ... if it was pouring rain one evening and I didn't feel like getting wet ... hop on the trainer for an hour.

I used to have my weights equipment set up in the dining room year round too ... so I could do a quick weights workout while waiting for my dinner to cook or whatever.

I was a lot fitter back then.
Old 08-22-14, 04:16 AM
Darth Steele

Bikes: 2013 SuperSix Ultegra

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone here have an experience with this

"Elite Arion Folding Rollers with Mag Resistance by Elite "

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Arion-Fo...roller+cycling

I had the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer for about a week and promptly took it back, I sounded like a jet taking off in my living.

this time around I am thinking about getting rollers that allow resistance, this is for the bad weathers day here in the North East.
Old 08-22-14, 08:05 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Still raining here. So besides inside cycling I've played with my setup a little. I downloaded a couple training videos to my tablet so no buffering time wasted... and GREAT resolution. And I mounted the computer part of the wireless bicycle computer... right on my trainer stand. That keeps it well within the 2 foot radio distance. The wired computer is connected to the front wheel.

So now if I train (on the trainer) the miles, time, as such data automatically logs on the wireless rear wheel mounted computer. But if I grab the trainer/rain bike to take it outside... the miles and such log on the front wheel mounted computer. No lost data... no duplicated logs.
Old 08-23-14, 09:23 AM
coastalrider

Bikes: Trek 5500, Santa Cruz Superlight, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
e-motion rollers are the way to go if you have the cash for them. I absolutely hate riding indoors but after going through a couple of mag stands found these that are bearable. They really do feel like real riding in terms of pedal stroke, body positioning and balance. You can also stand up, sprint and work on general riding skills in addition to fitness. Takes a bit getting used to. I still have them next to a work bench to assist mounting and dismounting.

Inside Ride
Old 08-23-14, 10:28 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coastalrider
e-motion rollers are the way to go if you have the cash for them. I absolutely hate riding indoors but after going through a couple of mag stands found these that are bearable. They really do feel like real riding in terms of pedal stroke, body positioning and balance. You can also stand up, sprint and work on general riding skills in addition to fitness. Takes a bit getting used to. I still have them next to a work bench to assist mounting and dismounting.

Inside Ride
+1

These are the only trainer I can tolerate.

They are also great for building core strength.
Old 08-23-14, 10:46 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Just did an hour on the trainer for the second summer Saturday in a row. Didn't feel like riding in the rain.
Old 08-23-14, 04:48 PM
UltraMonkey

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Ultegra Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Rollers. Quick to set up, no messing about changing the quick release or wheel with trainer tyre. They will improve your core strength, as well as keeping you awake

Last edited by UltraMonkey; 08-23-14 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-26-14, 02:59 PM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m new to trainers and want to move into one for the coming winter---which is an issue in my area ~200 mi S of Montreal. I’m doing my homework early so I’ll be equipped and ready to get into it when the weather here goes bad on me.

My apt bldg has a mini health club with a couple of those upright-configured, sit-bolt-upright-on “exercycles.” The look awful and I’m guessing they’re exactly what they look like. From what I’ve read here, a smart move would be a Kurt Kinetic, a Cycle Ops Fluid 2 or rollers. Is the “exercycle” even worth messing around with or should I just put the hit on a CC and buy something decent?

I’ve read enough about the rollers vs. rear wheel trainer quandary to get the sensation that it’s another of those “never-ending debate”/“unsolvable quandary” things. I’m an arthritic 68 y/o looking to get into condition for a >1,500 mi self-contained solo tour (hospitable river valley terrain, lon-lethal daily mileage done at my pace) next summer. NO racing training or racing for me---EVER. Any suggestions on the rollers vs. rear wheel trainer quandary for my situation?

Any insights and help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-26-14, 03:06 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The real answers is NONE because whichever one you buy, it will be collecting dust sooner or later.
Old 08-26-14, 03:07 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

I ride my indoor trainer quite a bit.
Old 08-26-14, 03:21 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony.L
This. Soon as the rain sets in here in the Pacific NW I will be ordering a Wahoo KICKR to go with my 80" TV in the living room. Climbing mountains around the world while it
Or you could do something less depressing and move to Arizona
Old 08-26-14, 03:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by CALE262

How do you find space to ride there with the bike hooked up?
Old 08-26-14, 06:14 PM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
How do you find space to ride there with the bike hooked up?
I just lay the back seats down and open the soft top... Lots of room!
Old 08-26-14, 06:34 PM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dalava
The real answers is NONE because whichever one you buy, it will be collecting dust sooner or later.
“Sooner or later” we’ll all be dead. I’m looking at this consideration from a >1 year perspective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.