Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best new small AWD SUV for taking a bike standing up w/front wheel removed

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best new small AWD SUV for taking a bike standing up w/front wheel removed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 10:22 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I picked up a 2014 CR-V this summer. Dang...didn't even think about trying to stand up the bike like that when my wife and I took a road trip. I simply pulled the wheels off and laid them down in the back. But could have used the extra space. In any event, I have a hitch rack for the next trip.

I really like this car and was happy to get 34 MPG last weekend on a 400 mile getaway.
Old 11-25-14, 10:30 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
I see the OP has gotten a Honda CRV. I'm interested to see how the space in the new HRV compares to the CRV and the Fit. You can get bikes upright in the back of a Fit. Numbers I've seen for the HRV (which is based on the Fit) gives it a little more cubic feet of cargo space but, as the OP mentioned with the Forester, cubic feet don't necessarily mean being able to stand a bike upright.

I put bikes upright in my 2001 Subie Legacy wagon but do have to remove the seat posts. I just keep a rear blinky on the post so I don't have to worry about setting the right height each time. It adds maybe two minutes to loading/unloading the bike but agree that I'd prefer my next car (whenever that happens) be able to take the bikes without worry about that little detail.

Regarding comments to using roof or hitch racks, everyone has their own needs and preferences. I've got roof racks and use them often for short trips out for day rides. But if I'm going to be on the highway for a while such as heading out for vacation I like being able to keep the bike inside especially if rain or snow is in the forecast. I feel better about the bike and it helps on the gas mileage.
Old 11-25-14, 10:40 AM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll never have a vehicle as convenient for bikes as was my minivan. but it is gone now.

I have grown quite attached to the Saris Freedom hitch rack, though. it is just wonderful:
* room for 4 bikes, strapped in by the wheels so everything from MTB to kids fits
* liftgate opens unobstructed even when rack is folded up with no bikes on it
* when loaded with bikes, rack tips down so that liftgate can open

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_20140823_001.jpg (102.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-25-14, 02:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
I'll never have a vehicle as convenient for bikes as was my minivan. but it is gone now.

I have grown quite attached to the Saris Freedom hitch rack, though. it is just wonderful:
* room for 4 bikes, strapped in by the wheels so everything from MTB to kids fits
* liftgate opens unobstructed even when rack is folded up with no bikes on it
* when loaded with bikes, rack tips down so that liftgate can open

The receiver hitch on my JEEP is the same as this although it has to be folded down to open the rear hatch.

If one was not looking to store a bike inside a smaller and more fuel efficient car with a decent rack system would be the best option... my Nissan Sentra will carry as many bikes as it does people and gets significantly better mileage than the JEEP but when it comes to all round winter driving and comfort the Jeep wins out which says a lot since the Sentra is also a great winter car that is by no means uncomfortable.
Old 11-25-14, 02:38 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Highlander is NOT tall enough.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-25-14, 07:30 PM
CALE262
Ex Coelis

Bikes: have wheels...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thinking the New Sprinter may be my new bike transporter

2015 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 4x4 First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

I've been using my Wrangler for anything with in a couple of hours.

Last edited by CALE262; 11-25-14 at 07:37 PM.