Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have You Crashed on an Expensive Bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 09:47 PM
woowoowoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Disclaimer: Made this thread so I can feel better and wallow with my fellow compadres.

So it happened today. Fell because I couldnt clip out in time. After putting 150 miles on my bike I finally fell. I read the "you'll fall eventually" threads and I told myself that I wouldnt fall victim to that. I clipped in and unclipped really well up to this point. I was coming up on one of those slight rights when I noticed the light was going to turn green and cars were going to come my way so I had to slow down. Unfortunately for some reason my usual effort of unclipping didn't result in unclipping so I toppled over onto the sidewalk. Needless to say I'm pretty happy I didnt get severely hurt but I can't lie, my pride is kind of bruised at the fact that I fell over at an intersection with cars just starring at me.

Brushed myself off and rode home. I tried to look for damages and the only thing I found were some scratches on the pedals and one or two nicks on the rear derailleur which aren't a big deal to me. My paranoid side tells me THERE HAS to be some sort of damage on the frame. That I can't fall over and just escape with some cuts on my arm and scratches on the derailleur and pedals. I just can't believe that. I really somehow convinced myself that theres damage that I'm overlooking, even though I looked over the bike four time.

That being said, its upsetting to scratch the bike so soon after buying it. Its like 6-8k like the S-Works or Cervelos that some of you are riding but its still a good chunk of money to me

Has anyone crashed on their primary expensive bike and not a back up bike?
Old 04-13-15, 09:56 PM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've crashed my bike into the back of a car which I was following too closely in the city, I went through the windscreen of the car doing tendon damage to my elbow, the bike on the other hand had a scratch the length of a fingernail on the frame. No structural damage. They're a lot stronger than you think.
Old 04-13-15, 10:17 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hauling ass around a corner and noticed a big patch of loose gravel too late. I had two options. Hold my line and slide out, or ride straight towards the sidewalk while slamming the brakes and hope for the best. Chose the latter. Flipped over the handlebars and rolled out of it, totally unharmed. Bike had some scratches on the handlebar plugs and the corner of the hood where I never put my hand, so I didn't get too worked up about it.

I also felt dumb doing it in front of a bunch of people, but I got a good laugh from it too.
Old 04-13-15, 10:28 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I've crashed a few times on various bikes but never damaged a frame. Shifters usually get scuffed and knocked out of position and I've bent a rear dérailleur. I've yet to see anyone I've ridden with damage a frame in a crash either.
Old 04-13-15, 10:36 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I crash all the time on my expensive bike but it is a mtn bike so that is to be expected . Haven't crashed my cheap road bike yet.
Old 04-13-15, 10:48 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by woowoowoo
Has anyone crashed on their primary expensive bike and not a back up bike?
Sure. I ride my Campagnolo equipped Litespeed year round, and used a spare wheel set with 27mm cross tires mounted for snow-day commuting in Boulder, CO. Crashed a few times on ice. Crashed two times with an uncommanded down-shift off a worn big-ring. Crashed once for some reason I don't remember. It happens, although scratches don't show much in unpainted titanium/silver anodized aluminum/clear coated carbon fiber.

My Chorus ergo levers and rear derailleur had a few dings by the time I replaced them 15 years later:

Lesser mishaps include scraping a carbon crank arm on a speed bump and chipping the clear coat on a carbon brake lever.

I don't bother with a cheap backup bike I wouldn't enjoy the same way I don't have a spare car to drive in inclement weather instead of my Audi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dsc00862.jpg (104.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg
rear_derailleur_ds.jpg (101.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-14-15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 11:20 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I only crash expensive bikes. It's what I do.
Old 04-13-15, 11:55 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done the clipped out to late thing and at the time it was a $2000 bike, expensive enough. Now that I have a bike with $6000+ invested, I have yet to crash. But like anything new and shiny that first scratch is going to hurt the most. Found out later my kid seen me adjusting the clip in/out tension on my pedals and he helped me out by tightening them all the way. New pedals and cleats, my first experience with clippless, he just expidited the inevitable. I am certain this only happens when lots of peope are around to witness such an event.
Old 04-14-15, 05:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
No crashes but I've performed some entertaining acrobatic maneuvers to stay out of a crash. I'm sure there were smiling and cussing motorists.
Old 04-14-15, 05:20 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
If you scratched and nicked the rear derailer you may want to take the bike to your LBS so that they can check the deraileur hanger for straightness. They hanger is designed to tweak and bend in case of a crash to help save the frame and can effect shift quality.
Old 04-14-15, 05:25 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yes. sometimes my fault, sometimes others were to blame
Old 04-14-15, 05:51 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
OP... you call that a crash??
Giant TCR Comp 0 crashed at 44kmh during a race.
Me = 38 stitches total, skin grafts, concussion, cracked helmet, torn jersey and bibs.
Bike = not a scratch.
Old 04-14-15, 05:57 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crashed a $7K Bianchi at 25mph. I scratched the bar tape, the right lever and pedal, and the rear derailleur. I also bent the derailleur hanger. Some new bar tape, new hanger, and a little bit of black touch-up paint and it was all good. No damage to the frame. I still have the bike and I've been riding it for the last 3 years after the crash. The frame should be the strongest part of the bike so I would expect it to hold up well.
Old 04-14-15, 05:57 AM
isuckatbiking

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
OP... you call that a crash??
Giant TCR Comp 0 crashed at 44kmh during a race.
Me = 38 stitches total, skin grafts, concussion, cracked helmet, torn jersey and bibs.
Bike = not a scratch.
Geez. How did the bike out come out unscathed in that situation?
Old 04-14-15, 06:11 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would guess that his body protected the bike.
Old 04-14-15, 06:16 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any damages to the bike can be frustrating, especially when its something so simple and you know its your own fault. You'll get over it. Kinda like the first ding on a brand new car. It's going to happen eventually. Consider yourself lucky it wasn't much worse. No broken parts or broken bones. I crashed and toasted a nice carbon frame a few years ago. I would have repaired the frame, but the components were near end of life, so time for a new bike.
Old 04-14-15, 06:44 AM
tycobb73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't worry about it, in all my hobbies. Bikes are made to be ridden, guitars are meant to be played and pots and pans are made to be cooked in. I don't abuse my stuff but I don't baby it either.
Old 04-14-15, 06:49 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I went down and my new $300 saddle was torn up from the slide. The worse didn't involve me but my wife drove her SUV in the garage with my commuter bike on top
Old 04-14-15, 06:59 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can still ride it I would be happy, it makes the more interesting story to tell. I broke a new bike a week after riding it, it was unrideable for a month because I had to wait for frame components to fix it. It was agonizing not being able to ride on my only bike for that long in the peak of the season.
Old 04-14-15, 07:20 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I had a Motobecane that was my only steed in high school. Was out for a sportif with the guys and between efforts we'd just loll around. So we're lolling near a car dealership and I decide I want to tour the lot and go straight into one of those low slung chain barriers, over the bars and onto the ground, thankfully not fast. I felt so stupid for not seeing what I knew was there. The chain went up the tire and hung up on the head tube and badge, dinged it up pretty good. Still sad about it. I loved that bike.
Old 04-14-15, 07:23 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my newly acquired Scott addict, there was a crash right in front of me. I had a split second to scrub off some speed but was being pushed from riders behind. There was a rider sliding sideways on his back and I could not avoid him. Hit his abdomen and did a front flip landing on the top of my head and shoulder. I never let go of the shifters during my flight so they were undamaged. Got up and finished the race but I could tell that the hanger was bent but other than scratches on the RD, the bike was good. I was broken but the bike was nearly fine because I cushioned it with my body :-)
Old 04-14-15, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
A few years ago, while on my custom IF, someone riding in front of me kicked up a small stick. It hit my spokes, got spun up and lodged between the inside of my fork and the rim, above the brake bad and parallel to the ground. Front wheel licked up and I went flying through the air. Had been doing about 16 mph. Split the end of my collar bone. The stick remain lodged but the bike was otherwise fine. The wheel didn't even come out of true.
Old 04-14-15, 07:51 AM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I went over the bars at 45mph on a carbon framed Shimano Dura-ace equipped bike in the early 90's?

The bike was fine. Still is.
Old 04-14-15, 08:01 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Falling over is not "crashing". That said, I started riding with some cheap bikes so by the time I got anything close to a nice bike I had the clipless thing figured out. One of my friends did buy a Supersix Evo for his first road bike and he did fall over in the parking lot the first day he tried clipless pedals. It's all part of the learning curve. It sucks to get the first scratch but they'll be a lot more.
Old 04-14-15, 09:44 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A zero mph fall because you couldn't clip out? Unless your bike is made out of rice paper, 99.999% chance that it's fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.