Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help identify Shimano mechanical disc brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 05:39 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts

Can anyone help me identify what type of Shimano mechanical disc brakes I have ?

I picked up a bike at a garage sale and want to order some new brake pads.

As you can see, the name SHIMANO is on the callipers and the callipers are cable-actuated, not hydraulic.

Can anyone supply a model number for this specific brake ?

Binky.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-21-23, 05:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The Shimano part/model number should be engraved on the caliper. Actually, I see Shimano's information engraved on the caliper cable anchor arm and above the blue body in your third photo. BTW, a good cleaning is highly recommended before going any further.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-21-23, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Huge +1 on the cleaning and de-rusting. That bike looks like it could use quite a bit of work judging by the state of that caliper.

I want to say it looks M495ish but I don't recall the blue but luckily Shimano puts part numbers on all their stuff and as HillRider said it is visible there we just cannot read it from the photo or at least I can't.

My guess if I was just taking a total shot in the dark wearing a blindfold and big glove-ed hands I would say these are the pads you want: KoolStop KS-D620/E/S or SwissStop Disc 15 which would be equivalent to Shimano B01S/3S/5S but brake pads and rotors are an excellent and cheap way to really upgrade braking performance without spending a ton of money and if it has Stop in the name like Swiss or KoolStop it is a good sign you will get upgraded performance for a few bucks more.
Old 05-22-23, 05:28 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by HillRider
The Shimano part/model number should be engraved on the caliper. Actually, I see Shimano's information engraved on the caliper cable anchor arm and above the blue body in your third photo. BTW, a good cleaning is highly recommended before going any further.
Thanks, guys.
I will give the old bike a good cleaning today and get the information off the calliper.
I did not notice the information engraved on the caliper cable anchor arm.

Binky
Old 05-22-23, 07:01 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Huge +1 on the cleaning and de-rusting. That bike looks like it could use quite a bit of work judging by the state of that caliper.

I want to say it looks M495ish but I don't recall the blue but luckily Shimano puts part numbers on all their stuff and as HillRider said it is visible there we just cannot read it from the photo or at least I can't.

My guess if I was just taking a total shot in the dark wearing a blindfold and big glove-ed hands I would say these are the pads you want: KoolStop KS-D620/E/S or SwissStop Disc 15 which would be equivalent to Shimano B01S/3S/5S but brake pads and rotors are an excellent and cheap way to really upgrade braking performance without spending a ton of money and if it has Stop in the name like Swiss or KoolStop it is a good sign you will get upgraded performance for a few bucks more.

Thanks !! The bike is cleaning up nicely.Calliper has the designation "M475", so there we go.

Bink
Likes For Binky: