Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cutting Out Sugar

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Cutting Out Sugar

Old 11-20-20, 05:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Regarding whether humans only had 2000 years experience with sucrose, that's a little hard to square with the presence of an enzyme in your saliva that cleaves it into glucose and fructose before it's even anywhere close to being absorbed.

I've cut down on sugar, not because it was evil or bad for me or 'empty calories' or addictive or toxic, but rather because it's way too easy to exceed the number of calories I want to consume in a day if I eat things with sugar in them. And let's not forget, a lot of things with sugar in them also have a lot of fat in them - ice cream, chocolate, donuts, etc. So, avoiding sugar also avoids fat, which is, as someone pointed out, EVEN MORE caloric. So I don't buy them, because I'll only eat them if I have them readily available. And I WILL eat them if they are available.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-20-20, 10:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
When my wife and I go backpacking, we take a full pound of butter - 5000 calories in only a pound. We also take a lot of stuff with sugar in it, and a lot of that stuff has both sugar and fat in it! By design! Yeah! We don't do that crap where one opens the foil pack ant pours the whatever into hot water. No, we don't do that. We live like royals on the trail except that we have to do our own cooking. Oh well. We'd rather cook our own.

Who wants that nasty sugar anyway?
Old 11-21-20, 10:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I think too many people only think of sugar as the white granular stuff in a bowl that is sweet. They refuse to believe that daily foraging from the dawn of man brought back plenty of sugars and other carbohydrate laden foods.

Hunting game was actually a high expenditure of energy. So it likely took a lot of carbs to fuel the gathering of needed protein.
Old 11-21-20, 10:37 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
All this about sugar so something to read for all those wiser than I, which equates to all >>>

https://www.pcf.org/c/prostate-cancers-sweet-tooth/

btw, I'm a Gleason 10
Old 11-21-20, 11:34 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
All this about sugar so something to read for all those wiser than I, which equates to all >>>

https://www.pcf.org/c/prostate-cancers-sweet-tooth/

btw, I'm a Gleason 10
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...art-20044714#:
Myth: People who have cancer shouldn't eat sugar, since it can cause cancer to grow faster.Fact: More research is needed to understand the relationship between sugar in the diet and cancer. All kinds of cells, including cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for energy. But giving more sugar to cancer cells doesn't make them grow faster. Likewise, depriving cancer cells of sugar doesn't make them grow more slowly.
I habitually disregard statements on the internet by people who profit from those statements. Nutritional research is crawling with folks like this. I think that this is because nutritional research is so expensive and there's no money to be made doing it in an impartial manner.
Old 11-21-20, 11:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Iride01
I think too many people only think of sugar as the white granular stuff in a bowl that is sweet. They refuse to believe that daily foraging from the dawn of man brought back plenty of sugars and other carbohydrate laden foods.

Hunting game was actually a high expenditure of energy. So it likely took a lot of carbs to fuel the gathering of needed protein.
It's worth noting that the honey hunters in the first video have evolved to be immune to bee toxins. This would be a very old evolutionary development. Thus those who were the most successful honey hunters had a greater rate of reproduction, either because they were more favored by females or because they and their females were more likely to survive or both, and this immunity slowly evolved.
Old 11-21-20, 09:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It's worth noting that the honey hunters in the first video have evolved to be immune to bee toxins. This would be a very old evolutionary development. Thus those who were the most successful honey hunters had a greater rate of reproduction, either because they were more favored by females or because they and their females were more likely to survive or both, and this immunity slowly evolved.
Citation required. That's not how actual immunity generally works.

Or evolution, now you mention it.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-21-20, 09:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by genejockey
Citation required. That's not how actual immunity generally works.

Or evolution, now you mention it.
Did you not watch the video? AFAIK evolution works by passing along novel genes which make that individual's descendants more competitive. You disagree?
Old 11-21-20, 11:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Did you not watch the video?
Yes, and there were no claims in it that they've 'evolved an immunity to beestings'. Beekeepers often DEVELOP (not evolve) tolerance to beestings, by being stung multiple times, and I'd note that the narrator says the lead hunter didn't get stung at all on this particular hunt.

Also, a 'a very old evolutionary development' would be that you can speak, and walk upright. Since the tribe only moved to the area in the Middle Ages, an evolutionary adaptation would be very new. But again, there's no claim in the film of any such inherited immunity. Indeed, they go to a great deal of effort to AVOID being stung.

AFAIK evolution works by passing along novel genes which make that individual's descendants more competitive. You disagree?
That's the laymen's understanding, yes. Basically the genetics of a population can shift if carriers of a particular mutation have more descendants than others. Novel genes isn't what does it. It's a minute change in an existing gene, or that gene turned off or turned on, or turned up or turned down, or turned off or on at a different time.

But again, since beekeepers often develop the same tolerance, there's no need to posit some novel trait. If they're around bees all the time, as seems likely, they're probably stung multiple times growing up and develop tolerance. One thing that MIGHT happen would be that any alleles that would make one prone to anaphylaxis from beestings would tend to disappear over generations.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-22-20, 10:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Yes, and there were no claims in it that they've 'evolved an immunity to beestings'. Beekeepers often DEVELOP (not evolve) tolerance to beestings, by being stung multiple times, and I'd note that the narrator says the lead hunter didn't get stung at all on this particular hunt.

Also, a 'a very old evolutionary development' would be that you can speak, and walk upright. Since the tribe only moved to the area in the Middle Ages, an evolutionary adaptation would be very new. But again, there's no claim in the film of any such inherited immunity. Indeed, they go to a great deal of effort to AVOID being stung.

That's the laymen's understanding, yes. Basically the genetics of a population can shift if carriers of a particular mutation have more descendants than others. Novel genes isn't what does it. It's a minute change in an existing gene, or that gene turned off or turned on, or turned up or turned down, or turned off or on at a different time.

But again, since beekeepers often develop the same tolerance, there's no need to posit some novel trait. If they're around bees all the time, as seems likely, they're probably stung multiple times growing up and develop tolerance. One thing that MIGHT happen would be that any alleles that would make one prone to anaphylaxis from beestings would tend to disappear over generations.
Agree.
Old 11-22-20, 12:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

<snip>
Also, a 'a very old evolutionary development' would be that you can speak, and walk upright. Since the tribe only moved to the area in the Middle Ages, an evolutionary adaptation would be very new.<snip>
Although I think this honey eating business has been going on a lot longer than since the Middle Ages . . .

Old 11-22-20, 01:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Although I think this honey eating business has been going on a lot longer than since the Middle Ages . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7VtpSbSDE
See also

Likes For genejockey: