Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How fast do you have to be to not get laughed at for having expensive wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How fast do you have to be to not get laughed at for having expensive wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-12, 11:43 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not what you've got that counts, it's what you can do with it!
Old 07-14-12, 04:34 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I love it when people start comparing the size of their checkbooks. It never gets old or seems pretentious on either side.

I have to say I am surprised you would write that as you tend to be a bit more enlightened than many here. I was proving the opposite case. Guys with less money go for carbon wheels...not rich guys. Its the same thing for guys who put aftermarket wheels on their car...like $3K modular wheels on a Civic. They are called 'tuner' cars. Rich guys don't do that.
But the guy working at McDonalds does. Those guys 'support' the aftermarket car industry...not rich guys. Their buying is inverse to their earning power. I don't believe there is an exact parallel to the demographic of bike industry. But I would say just like in the car industry, many if not most purchase carbon wheels for the 'prestige'. This will incense many that own carbon wheels who perceive them to be faster. But what are carbon wheels worth in a race? 1-2 watts? and how many race?
Old 07-14-12, 05:32 AM
lungdoc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would a better way of asking the question be 'how fast do you have to be, and what kind of cycling do you need to be doing, for expensive wheels to be a rational purchase' ?

Setting aside the inevitable "freecountry, I have money, I can buy what I like, supports the economy" truisms, isn't there indeed a definable type of cyclist/cycling where high end carbon wheels are a sensible thing to buy? Conversely, isn't there also a vastly larger group where such a purchase clearly is for looks/show/bling/feel (and that's fine by me, but let's be honest about it)?

On a personal level I could afford any bike or wheels, but a) it's a waste of money better spent on other things to buy gear way beyond my needs, and b) I don't like the feeling of being the guy whose gear is in a completely different league than his abilities. There is a difference between those (many) passing me thinking 'nice bike, mediocre cyclist' and thinking 'what is that guy doing on that bike, what a waste'.
Old 07-14-12, 07:36 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I have to say I am surprised you would write that as you tend to be a bit more enlightened than many here. I was proving the opposite case. Guys with less money go for carbon wheels...not rich guys. Its the same thing for guys who put aftermarket wheels on their car...like $3K modular wheels on a Civic. They are called 'tuner' cars. Rich guys don't do that.
But the guy working at McDonalds does. Those guys 'support' the aftermarket car industry...not rich guys. Their buying is inverse to their earning power. I don't believe there is an exact parallel to the demographic of bike industry. But I would say just like in the car industry, many if not most purchase carbon wheels for the 'prestige'. This will incense many that own carbon wheels who perceive them to be faster. But what are carbon wheels worth in a race? 1-2 watts? and how many race?
All anecdotal. Been to any Saturday/Sunday morning 'cars and coffee' event with high end cars? The rich guys are supporting the aftermarket industry also - to what degree, no one really knows - while the guys working at MacDonald's are the ones on the sidelines videotaping the whole thing on their iPhones.
Old 07-14-12, 07:49 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rich guys buy the bikes with all the high end crap already installed. The rest of us add it as we are able.
How is that for an idiotic generalization?
Old 07-14-12, 07:55 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by lungdoc
On a personal level I could afford any bike or wheels, but a) it's a waste of money better spent on other things to buy gear way beyond my needs, and b) I don't like the feeling of being the guy whose gear is in a completely different league than his abilities. There is a difference between those (many) passing me thinking 'nice bike, mediocre cyclist' and thinking 'what is that guy doing on that bike, what a waste'.
One could say the same about nay hobby or interest - fast cars, top line golf clubs, fishing gear, audio equipment, tennis, etc. Part is pride on having the best, another piece is the belief (hope) that spending dollars translates to a small improvement, and maybe motivation to do better. Very little spending on hobbies is rational
Old 07-14-12, 08:10 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Very little spending on hobbies is rational
This.
Old 07-14-12, 09:28 AM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Part is pride on having the best, another piece is the belief (hope) that spending dollars translates to a small improvement, and maybe motivation to do better. Very little spending on hobbies is rational
Absolutely agree with first sentence. The second I somewhat disagree, very little if any spending on hobbies is necessary, but I think quite a bit is rational. To use a different hobby my wife and daughter do (horse) riding, hunter-jumper at a local amateur level. We just bought a very nice horse that is I think a "rational luxury" at a little under $15,000. Operating costs are no different than if you buy a $2000 horse with WAY less training and often a host of issues. On the other hand I think we'd just be nuts to buy a $50,000 or $100,000 horse to ride at that level. BTW horses matter much more than bikes do to a rider's performance and enjoyment, and there's a lot more to gain by spending money up to a point, i.e. a $1000 bike is vastly closer to a $10,000 bike than a $2000 horse is to a $15,000 horse.

I think there is a rational range of spending, even if you have the money, for one's ability in most activities. For me it's once the equipment is of such quality that it in no reasonable way is limiting my performance or enjoyment and indeed is capable of more than I am; going beyond that level seems a waste.
Old 07-14-12, 09:44 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lungdoc
BTW horses matter much more than bikes do to a rider's performance and enjoyment, and there's a lot more to gain by spending money up to a point, i.e. a $1000 bike is vastly closer to a $10,000 bike than a $2000 horse is to a $15,000 horse.

I think there is a rational range of spending, even if you have the money, for one's ability in most activities. For me it's once the equipment is of such quality that it in no reasonable way is limiting my performance or enjoyment and indeed is capable of more than I am; going beyond that level seems a waste.
The plus side is that a horse can also be your pal. And a whole lot nicer to look at even than the most $$$$ bicycle.
Old 07-14-12, 10:16 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
The plus side is that a horse can also be your pal. And a whole lot nicer to look at even than the most $$$$ bicycle.
The downside is that a horse can kick you in the balls, which a bike can't.
Old 07-14-12, 11:41 AM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plus side of a horse is that you can eat it. Try that with a bike.
Old 07-14-12, 01:08 PM
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
The downside is that a horse can kick you in the balls, which a bike can't.
unfortunately a bike can kick you in the nutz nearly as well as a horse, that's why I retired from mtb. don't get me wrong road riding has smacked me pretty good also, just not in the fig.

has this thread yet influenced the OP, yea or neigh?

Last edited by Rx Rider; 07-14-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 01:26 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by loneviking61
It's not what you've got that counts, it's what you can do with it!
thats what she said.
Old 07-14-12, 01:57 PM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I love it when people start comparing the size of their checkbooks. It never gets old or seems pretentious on either side.

sorry i am late to the party - damn satellite internet seems to be on the fritz, and i had to wait until my 45' catamaran pulled into st maarten to get wireless.

i have never understood why people think it's any of their business how i spend my money. i mean, if i go out and buy the guadiest most obnoxious 100mm rims, it is obviously because i want them and i can afford it. of course, you want to praise one of my 6 bikes (one at the barbados plantation, one at my cape town condo, one in my adelaide townhome, one at the ski resort in san moritz, one at the chalet in aspen, and the beater parlee custom that i keep at my parent's estate in newport), and please, feel free to do so - part of the reason that i bought 6x zipp 808 firecrests is because it gets me noticed. just don't be critical that i am slow because i spend more time posting about it on the hot r not thread than i do riding.

gotta go - i have an important meeting with a couple of guys with ubs discussing the optimal means of disbursing my inheritance in international tax havens, plus i have a couple of east european ballerinas coming over for dinner this evening and, my slavic is in dire need of a refresher course.
Old 07-14-12, 02:49 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by FPSDavid
People still use those?
Only in the express checkout.
Old 07-14-12, 04:57 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Only in the express checkout.
In front of me and after having a long conversation with the clerk before starting to write
Old 07-14-12, 06:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
sorry i am late to the party - damn satellite internet seems to be on the fritz, and i had to wait until my 45' catamaran pulled into st maarten to get wireless.

i have never understood why people think it's any of their business how i spend my money. i mean, if i go out and buy the guadiest most obnoxious 100mm rims, it is obviously because i want them and i can afford it. of course, you want to praise one of my 6 bikes (one at the barbados plantation, one at my cape town condo, one in my adelaide townhome, one at the ski resort in san moritz, one at the chalet in aspen, and the beater parlee custom that i keep at my parent's estate in newport), and please, feel free to do so - part of the reason that i bought 6x zipp 808 firecrests is because it gets me noticed. just don't be critical that i am slow because i spend more time posting about it on the hot r not thread than i do riding.

gotta go - i have an important meeting with a couple of guys with ubs discussing the optimal means of disbursing my inheritance in international tax havens, plus i have a couple of east european ballerinas coming over for dinner this evening and, my slavic is in dire need of a refresher course.
I like this.
Old 07-14-12, 06:34 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
The thread that keeps on spewing gobs of awesome!
Old 07-14-12, 06:46 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
All anecdotal. Been to any Saturday/Sunday morning 'cars and coffee' event with high end cars? The rich guys are supporting the aftermarket industry also - to what degree, no one really knows - while the guys working at MacDonald's are the ones on the sidelines videotaping the whole thing on their iPhones.
Not really. Rich guys don't put aftermarket wheels on a Civic. Tuner cars are generally owned by car crazy kids. I know as I used to be a card carrying member. Rich guys in fact rarely own Civics. Yes there is an aftermarket for BMW...I have worked in it...and guys tend to be a bit more well heeled there. Let's put carbon wheels in the bling category. And BMW's do get blinged out from time to time...but generally again by kids and not rich guys. Rich guys just buy a high end BMW like a M car...which comes with factory bling. Now perhaps there is a parallel to rich guys buying a high end Cervelo already with Zipps...but again, in my experience a lot of guys add Zipps to their bike and most that do aren't rich or old.
YMMV.

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-15-12 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-14-12, 08:25 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a rich guy who owns and daily drives a Civic LX on the stock steel wheels. I also have 3 sets of carbon wheels for 2 of my road bikes. True story.
Old 07-15-12, 04:46 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
I'm a rich guy who owns and daily drives a Civic LX on the stock steel wheels. I also have 3 sets of carbon wheels for 2 of my road bikes. True story.
Believe you. And there are rich guys that don't care much about cars...and even tree hugging rich guys. I have moved away from the performance car area for example...although I admit to getting the itch once in a while. It would be interesting to see the demographic on rich guys that don't flaunt their wealth...my friends are both sides. No universal demographic. You do fit my profile of rich guys that don't put aftermarket wheels on your Civic tho.
FWIW, carbon wheels on a bicycle makes more sense that wide aftermarket wheels on a Civic...which tend to slow them down.
Old 07-15-12, 07:19 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Not really. Rich guys don't put aftermarket wheels on a Civic. Tuner cars are generally owned by car crazy kids. I know as I used to be a card carrying member. Rich guys in fact rarely own Civics. Yes there is an aftermarket for BMW...I have worked in it...and guys tend to be a bit more well heeled there. Let's put carbon wheels in the bling category. And BMW's do get blinged out from time to time...but generally again by kids and not rich guys. Rich guys just buy a high end BMW like a M car...which comes with factory bling. Now perhaps there is a parallel to rich guys buying a high end Cervelo already with Zipps...but again, in my experience a lot of guys add Zipps to their bike and most that do aren't rich or old.
YMMV.
Wut? www.mfest.com, www.gumball3000.com, and I could go on. Forget the Civics.
Old 07-15-12, 07:20 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Define 'rich guy'.

We would prefer copies of your 2011 1040 long form.
Old 07-15-12, 08:03 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like performance cars. They're of the aforementioned variety of ones that come "tuned from the factory" that I don't otherwise mess with too much. I also bought my Cervelo with the Cosmics on it. I love my Civic. Great gas mileage, plenty comfortable for me. I can haul bikes on it and not give a rats about scratching/denting it. I can valet it and not worry about it. I can park it on the street and not worry about it. In the winter, people can play bumper cars with me and it's OK. I can drive it around and people don't try to race me, cops don't pull me over (sometimes just to say nice car, but thanks for the stress!), and people don't automatically assume I'm an a-hole, especially because I look young. I guess point is that you can't make assumptions. Some people actually like and choose the stock Civic.
Old 07-15-12, 11:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm having a bike elevator installed in my garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.