Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

spd or road pedals.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

spd or road pedals.

Old 08-01-12, 09:59 PM
beertech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spd or road pedals.

I have been using spd pedals and normal shoe style spd shoe and was quite comfortable with them, I just bought spd sl road shoes and pedals. I am feeling quite nervous uncomfortable with them in traffic. question is are the mountain bike spd shoes that look like road shoes just as stiff as the road shoes i bought. I would really like to go back to spd if the shoes were similar to road shoes.
Old 08-01-12, 10:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Who cares what somebody else thinks? Wear the shoes you like wearing. Road shoes are generally stiffer than their MTB counterparts. If you can't tell, who cares?
Old 08-01-12, 10:19 PM
blcknspo0ln

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez 105

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or just spend the money on high quality MTB shoes, best of both worlds!
Old 08-01-12, 10:21 PM
beertech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats what i was wondering if high end mtb shoes were close to road shoes
Old 08-01-12, 10:29 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never have used road shoes, have the Mavic Razor MTB shoes and really like them. I would bet the difference, for a 50+ clyde like me (General Classification, Fred Cat 4), between road shoes and mine are very minimal.
Old 08-01-12, 10:38 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have both as well, but I do most my riding in my SPD's.
Both pairs are carbon sole, but I just love the way my SPD's feel, I'm looking to get a newer pair od SPD -SL really soon.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr...tbshoes/promtb

-Light and stiff, full-length FACT carbon midsole: 10 stiffness index.

I'm looking to get the road version of my SPD's.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr...oroad#features

-Lightweight FACT full-carbon sole uses TorsionBox technology, which increases stiffness for improved power transfer: 11.0 stiffness index
Old 08-01-12, 10:53 PM
AlbertaBeef

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have road shoes that take my SPD cleats... and I have mountain shoes that take 'em. I have Shimano A520's on my road bikes and a Wellgo SPD pedal on my mountain bike. It's what works for me, so why change?
Old 08-01-12, 11:20 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beertech
I have been using spd pedals and normal shoe style spd shoe and was quite comfortable with them, I just bought spd sl road shoes and pedals. I am feeling quite nervous uncomfortable with them in traffic. question is are the mountain bike spd shoes that look like road shoes just as stiff as the road shoes i bought. I would really like to go back to spd if the shoes were similar to road shoes.
I moved from spd to spd-sl as well and experienced this too. I took a while but I'm doing better with them now. I still miss the target from time to time but no real issues. Overall I like them better than the spd. I have stiff carbon road and mtb shoes so no real difference there but the road shoes are a lot lighter and I like the larger platform. Take some time to get used to them.
Old 08-02-12, 03:07 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Not all SPD shoes are canvas clunker MTB shoes. Specialized makes nice looking shoes that take SPD cleats. I might try giving the road pedals more time before abandoning them Once you get used to them, you'll be fine. However, I know plenty of avid road cyclists at work who only use SPD pedals. Ride the pedals *you want to ride*, not the ones other people want to ride.
Old 08-02-12, 04:31 AM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use SPD's on my road bikes. You can get this adapter https://www.rei.com/product/785658/sh...-cleat-adapter to let you use almost any road shoes. Still easier to walk with than standard road cleats.
Old 08-02-12, 06:41 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
I have spds for mountain and CX bikes and SPD-SL for road bikes. They each have a seperate purpose and don't work as well for the other. To make spds work for road, you need a very stiff road shoe. Even then you don't get that full power transfer from the larger platform
Old 08-02-12, 07:17 AM
MattFoley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Even then you don't get that full power transfer from the larger platform
+1 I use both, with SPDs on the commuter and SPD-SLs on the road bike. The SLs feel like they do a much better job transferring power to the pedal and the larger platform just feels more stable. The float is also smoother, since the connection isn't metal-on-metal. Clipping in is a bit less forgiving and walking is not as easy though, which is why I haven't put SLs on my commuter.
Old 08-02-12, 10:40 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lungdoc
I use SPD's on my road bikes. You can get this adapter https://www.rei.com/product/785658/sh...-cleat-adapter to let you use almost any road shoes. Still easier to walk with than standard road cleats.
Incorrect. How do I know? I tried so many different shoes with this. It only works with lower end Shimano road shoes.
Old 08-02-12, 10:49 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you have issues with SPD? Why did you change? In my case, it was the float and knee issue that made me move to Speed Play. As for stiffness, that is in your shoes. (try S-works MTB shoes then S-works Road one I would be surprised if you can tell difference... - I do have both). One thing is road pedal tend to have better platform (which you can get SPD pedal with bigger platform as well) If SPD or another MTB pedal has more adjust-ability than speedplay, I would be all over it myself as I already have 4 different MTB shoes (3 sneakers, 1 S-works) I can use as well as making it easier for me to walk...
Old 08-02-12, 11:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use SPD pedals on my road bike. I've climbed some of the ice giants of the northern Cascades, and seven mountain pedals in them. I have nice SPD/MTB shoes with carbon fiber soles, they're every bit as stiff and comfortable as road shoes. But I can walk in them, in fact, I can scramble across a talus field down to the creek to fill my water bottles in them.

Old 08-02-12, 12:44 PM
Pandayboss

Bikes: 1970s C.N.C. Frame restored single speed road bike, 1985 Raleigh Record Ltd. road bike and 1999 Cannondale R300 road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Shimano SPD pedals and shoes and I ride road bikes. I didn't really noticed it until a few years back that it's for MTB's. I love using it so it stuck on me. I wouldn't mind getting a road clipless pedals in the near future to see how it feels to ride in 'em.
Old 08-02-12, 01:16 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time's high-end MTB shoes were great..."were" because they apparently no longer make them, but you can still find new pairs on ebay.
Old 08-02-12, 02:04 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was gonna swap, but riding city streets, sometimes you simply cannot get clipped in fast enough. With a MTB shoe I can use the tread of the shoe to stabilize my foot on the pedal, get moving, and then clip in. My understanding is that with road shoes, this would be very difficult and possibly dangerous as without the tread, your foot can slip off the pedal if you try this.

Anybody care to chime in with their experiences?
Old 08-02-12, 02:10 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
Was gonna swap, but riding city streets, sometimes you simply cannot get clipped in fast enough. With a MTB shoe I can use the tread of the shoe to stabilize my foot on the pedal, get moving, and then clip in. My understanding is that with road shoes, this would be very difficult and possibly dangerous as without the tread, your foot can slip off the pedal if you try this.

Yes, I've missed and slipped of the pedal trying to get started. Can be painful when you hit the saddle wrong. Part of the learning curve though. People also fall over using clipless of all kinds. It goes with the territory. Just ride and practice.
Old 08-02-12, 02:38 PM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lungdoc
Whoa! Awesome!
Old 08-02-12, 02:40 PM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
Incorrect. How do I know? I tried so many different shoes with this. It only works with lower end Shimano road shoes.
Oh. Damn.
Old 08-02-12, 05:01 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I ride eggbeaters with S-works shimano MTB shoes, and have used Look's with high end Sidi's (on loan), and I notice no stiffness difference, so I stick with the eggbeaters on all of my bikes, and one pair of stiff, light shoes. I am only 145 pounds though, ma be a bigger difference if you are a bit heavier.
Old 08-02-12, 06:42 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts

I ride SPD's and last year bought a stiffer road type of shoe. The shoes were way slippery untill you were clipped in. Really made me nervous and it was hard to unclip and cruise to a stop with the middle of the shoe on the pedals., or to start on a steep hill etc. I know the serious riders get past this, but they still are not as versatile as my mtb type shoes. Solution for me is to apply some double sided tape to the shoes to the rear of the clips. Then cut a few strips of a rough grit sandpaper and apply. Works great, is cheap, light and replaceable.
Old 08-02-12, 07:20 PM
beertech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This completely sums up what my issues are right now.
Old 08-02-12, 07:57 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
Worked fine on my Specialized road shoes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.