Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

spd or road pedals.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

spd or road pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 08:29 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I ride in traffic using road pedals/shoes with no problem; practice makes perfect. I know some riders who commute and use mtb pedals so it's what works for every rider. I don't walk much when I ride so it's a non-issue being able to do so.
Old 08-02-12, 10:13 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lungdoc
Worked fine on my Specialized road shoes.
Only lower end of road shoes comes with 3 hole + 2 hole combination. I've used the on my Shimano R87 for 6 months before moving on myself. Once I started looking for stiffer insole, the option vanished real quick. Either get proper MTB shoes, or go road pedal. I have bunch of those "adapters" laying around at home now. 2 shimanos (yes, they have 2 variants), one sidi, another from somewhere.
As for clipping in in traffic, I find Speedplay works fantastic (even better than SPD). Only weakness is walking in it (especially sucks going up and down on stairs in train station). I might want to give it a whirl with their frog... not sure how recessed the cleat is though.
Old 08-02-12, 10:28 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got the Shimano R-315 and M-315...

Both high-end carbon soled shoes...both stiff as a board.

I was always super comfortable in the road shoes, but after an hour or so on the MTB with lesser quality SPD shoes I'd develop a hotspot on the outside of my right foot...nasty.

So I got the MTB version of 315s and problem solved.

So, yeah...a higher-end MTB shoe will perform as good as a higher end road shoe. Albeit they're a tad heavier.
Old 08-05-12, 10:17 AM
Pandayboss

Bikes: 1970s C.N.C. Frame restored single speed road bike, 1985 Raleigh Record Ltd. road bike and 1999 Cannondale R300 road bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scorer75
Was gonna swap, but riding city streets, sometimes you simply cannot get clipped in fast enough. With a MTB shoe I can use the tread of the shoe to stabilize my foot on the pedal, get moving, and then clip in. My understanding is that with road shoes, this would be very difficult and possibly dangerous as without the tread, your foot can slip off the pedal if you try this.

Anybody care to chime in with their experiences?
I used to ride all year round back in the day. I found the MTB shoes that I have had a better grip on ciy roads specially when you stop on intersection during winter. The treads really helped on standing and would give you the push you need on green light. I guess that's why I love 'em because of this situation. It's true the tread helps in getting a foothold before you get the cleat in.
Old 08-05-12, 03:06 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
my favorite color is blue.
Old 08-05-12, 03:16 PM
Ruby13

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted over to Road due to bad back issues and always rode with SPD's (shimano 540)so just kept using them when I went to a road bike. I did upgrade my MTB shoes to a pair of lower end Shimano's 087's but recently picked up the attached Giro's for $109 (list $150) on sale at Campmor. They are much stiffer than the Shimano's and while they do not have a carbon sole they don't bend/flex when walking around. Very comfortable and true to size.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/privateertm.html
Old 08-05-12, 06:51 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
Only lower end of road shoes comes with 3 hole + 2 hole combination. I've used the on my Shimano R87 for 6 months before moving on myself. Once I started looking for stiffer insole, the option vanished real quick. Either get proper MTB shoes, or go road pedal. I have bunch of those "adapters" laying around at home now. 2 shimanos (yes, they have 2 variants), one sidi, another from somewhere.
As for clipping in in traffic, I find Speedplay works fantastic (even better than SPD). Only weakness is walking in it (especially sucks going up and down on stairs in train station). I might want to give it a whirl with their frog... not sure how recessed the cleat is though.
I'm pretty sure there's adapters for almost any shoe to an SPD cleat - here's one for any SPD-SL shoe https://www.bicyclebuys.com/pedals/PedalsRoad/0414456
Old 08-06-12, 09:49 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pandayboss
I used to ride all year round back in the day. I found the MTB shoes that I have had a better grip on ciy roads specially when you stop on intersection during winter. The treads really helped on standing and would give you the push you need on green light. I guess that's why I love 'em because of this situation. It's true the tread helps in getting a foothold before you get the cleat in.
Perfect answer, exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Looks like I'll upgrade from my lower level Sidi MTB shoe to a higher level MTB shoe. After posting my question I really paid attention to how often and for how long I sometimes go before I can safely clip in, and it would definitely be an issue for where and how I ride. Thanks for the input.