Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moving from Ultegra SPD-SL to Speedplay (or other pedal system)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Moving from Ultegra SPD-SL to Speedplay (or other pedal system)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 04:14 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Speedplay - very very light (although if you include the cleat weight I think the i-clics are lighter). Dual sided entry is the bomb. In the end though I'm a bigger guy and a masher and I wanted a broader platform. I did have hot spot issues on these pedals.
I think with Speedplay you need really stiff shoes. I was 232 lbs (205 now) when I started riding Speedplays and never had hot spots but the Shimano shoes I have are as stiff as steel.
Old 08-22-12, 04:15 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
My Sidi 5's are carbon sole, super-stiff as well.
Old 08-22-12, 04:23 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvall91
I still feel like the speedplays are too small. At least with my DA's I can ride the bike with sandals or sneakers.
You can use Speedplay Plateformers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sp_platformer_3.jpg (35.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-22-12, 04:44 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

So from a Speedplay standpoint, the Zero series looks like the right path, with all the adjustability.

Now, which material to chose? I'm 160lb.
Old 08-22-12, 04:55 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
So from a Speedplay standpoint, the Zero series looks like the right path, with all the adjustability.

Now, which material to chose? I'm 160lb.
I have had Zeros and Light Action pedals in both Cromoly and Stainless. If you have the money go stainless because cromoly can rust and the paint will come off of the spindals but other than that, you won't notice a big difference between the two. Now, I like Zeros but I need to tell you that for the first few weeks they will be very difficult to clip into. You will need to clip in like you are putting out a cigarette by grinding your foot as you step down. Within a few weeks, they will loosen up and become much easier. The LA will always be easier but once the Zeros are broken in, they will be close.
Old 08-22-12, 05:14 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I think with Speedplay you need really stiff shoes. I was 232 lbs (205 now) when I started riding Speedplays and never had hot spots but the Shimano shoes I have are as stiff as steel.
It's probably an individual thing - I ran them mainly on Bont's which were really stiff but also on some Specialized shoes. I really do notice a stiffness difference with the Time pedals, which have massive bearings it looks like. Also I like the platform for when I need to cruise in regular shoes. I frequently ride into work in my gear and then take quick trips at lunch in my street clothes. The Time pedals work great as a regular platform pedal without anything needed to be added to them.
Old 08-22-12, 05:22 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's probably an individual thing - I ran them mainly on Bont's which were really stiff but also on some Specialized shoes. I really do notice a stiffness difference with the Time pedals, which have massive bearings it looks like. Also I like the platform for when I need to cruise in regular shoes. I frequently ride into work in my gear and then take quick trips at lunch in my street clothes. The Time pedals work great as a regular platform pedal without anything needed to be added to them.
I have never tried Time pedals but from what I have read, I would like them better than SPD-SL or Look pedals. Some day I would like to try them.
Old 08-22-12, 05:27 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

I have never tried Time pedals but from what I have read, I would like them better than SPD-SL or Look pedals. Some day I would like to try them.
How do they differ from SPD-SL?
Old 08-22-12, 05:33 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do they differ from SPD-SL?
I think someone will chim in here that uses them but SPD-SL are really Look knock offs with maybe some enhancements. Time pedals don't have a self centering spring like Look and SPD-SL. Speedplay doesn't have a spring as well. They are single sided pedals but they do get good reviews.
Old 08-22-12, 08:13 PM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have any experience with CB candys but I think those are their entry level pedal. They are double sided though. I made a mistake when I bought SPD-SL pedals because I hated them. A lot of people love them. I sold them on Ebay and lost some money but then I found the pedals that worked for me.
Carbon,

So which route do you sujest I go, I have had several people tell me that SPD-SL is a good pedal for the experienced cyclist but I need to go a different route getting started. Other than Speedplay is there a two sided road pedal? The guy at my LBS is really trying to talk me into these MTB pedals that fit my road shoes. I have zero experience with clipless so I can use all the advice you care to give. I am a bigger guy at 6' and 230# so I would like a good pedal. I don't have $200 to spend on a set but I could probably afford the light action chromoly if it's a better pedal for me.
Old 08-22-12, 08:27 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

So many tough decisions; and pedals are not cheap!!!!

Can anyone lay out the overall differences between the brands / major models?

I read that the Iclic's tend to stay "right side up" meaning street-light engagement should be much easier. If this is the case, I don't require double-sided pedals.

Last edited by WorldIRC; 08-22-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 08:42 PM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks everyone. Skating on ice would likely drive me nuts.
The two things I do not like about my SPD-SL (coming from MTB pedals)

1. Single-sided; such a ***** to get used to...and although I've gotten used to it, it still drives me nuts.
2. The float is perfect, but clipping out can be tough at times.

I am trying to address those...if there are other recommendations for other products, I am open!
Strange. I went from Look Keo to Shimano SPD-SL and I think the SPD-SL pedals are A LOT easier to get into than the Keo. OTOH, Keo has much better free float than the SPD-SL. My next stop, Speedplay Zero.
Old 08-22-12, 08:58 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymour1910
Carbon,

So which route do you sujest I go, I have had several people tell me that SPD-SL is a good pedal for the experienced cyclist but I need to go a different route getting started. Other than Speedplay is there a two sided road pedal? The guy at my LBS is really trying to talk me into these MTB pedals that fit my road shoes. I have zero experience with clipless so I can use all the advice you care to give. I am a bigger guy at 6' and 230# so I would like a good pedal. I don't have $200 to spend on a set but I could probably afford the light action chromoly if it's a better pedal for me.
The only double sided road pedals that I know of are Crank Brothers, which I think is really a MTB pedal, Speedplay and Beebops. If you were going to change out your shoes, I would say look at Shimano SPDs but you really need MTB shoes for them. The SPD-SL and Look are good pedals but I think they are harder to get in and out of. The Light Action pedals are a good choice. You will need to lube them a few times a year and I put Shoe Goo on the cleats so that it makes them easier to walk in and they grip wet roads better.

LA pedals are extremely easy to get in and out of. It may take a few days to get use to the float but once you do it won't bother you. The nice thing about Speedplay is that you don't need to look down to clip in. I think that is probably possible with SPD-SL pedals too but it takes more skill.

Look on Ebay for pedals if you have time. You can probably pick up LA pedals for under $90.00.

By the way I was 6'2" or 6'3" and 232 when I bought my LA pedals.
Old 08-22-12, 09:09 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've ridden all three quite a bit. I'm currently on Time I-Clic's. Love the pedal, but apparently I have first generation cleats which wear out super fast. I'm told the current cleats last much longer but haven't tried them yet. Super easy entry since you are tripping a spring loaded hammer to engage it. Very low stack height and fairly light.
I've put about 1,500 miles on my iClics and haven't worn out a cleat yet. I walk around in my house on the way out & back in, or a little bit at the start/end of a ride when I have to drive somewhere. The red plastic covering is pretty shredded, but the hard plastic is just fine and the shape of the cleat is fine. And those parts are supposed to be unimportant for clipping in, merely used for walking. I guess I'll know about that for sure when they finally start having issues.
Old 08-23-12, 08:40 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I've put about 1,500 miles on my iClics and haven't worn out a cleat yet. I walk around in my house on the way out & back in, or a little bit at the start/end of a ride when I have to drive somewhere. The red plastic covering is pretty shredded, but the hard plastic is just fine and the shape of the cleat is fine. And those parts are supposed to be unimportant for clipping in, merely used for walking. I guess I'll know about that for sure when they finally start having issues.
Yeah I'm wearing down the tips on my right cleat. I know the main engagement mechanism is the 'peg' in the center of the cleat but I'm sure it will affect the stability if the tip breaks. I've got less than 500 miles on them too. I commute a lot with them and am constantly putting a foot down and pushing off with them though. I'm going to try some of the current cleats and see if they're better.
Old 08-23-12, 08:41 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So many tough decisions; and pedals are not cheap!!!!

Can anyone lay out the overall differences between the brands / major models?

I read that the Iclic's tend to stay "right side up" meaning street-light engagement should be much easier. If this is the case, I don't require double-sided pedals.
Honestly once you get used to it single sided pedals aren't a big handicap.
Old 08-23-12, 08:50 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having just gone this route after 5 years on Ultegra SPD-SL to SP Zeros, for me I find:
1. The float is fine once you get use to it
2. The cleats really need covers for any walking at all
3. It takes a a week or so of use before the clip action becomes seemless due to the clips wearing in and you getting use to the diffeerence
4. I find the pedaling is much smoother on the zeros than on the Ultegras
5. I have not had them long enough to worry about greasing the spindle but I do put a bit of ceramic lube on the cleats once a week. Zero maintenance on my ultegras

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-23-12, 09:59 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Having just gone this route after 5 years on Ultegra SPD-SL to SP Zeros, for me I find:
1. The float is fine once you get use to it
2. The cleats really need covers for any walking at all
3. It takes a a week or so of use before the clip action becomes seemless due to the clips wearing in and you getting use to the diffeerence
4. I find the pedaling is much smoother on the zeros than on the Ultegras
5. I have not had them long enough to worry about greasing the spindle but I do put a bit of ceramic lube on the cleats once a week. Zero maintenance on my ultegras
Put Shoe Goo on the cleats and you will not need covers. This was a recommendation from Speedplay.
Old 08-23-12, 10:43 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

I've decided on the Speedplay Zero's. I'll get Stainless, the titanium has no real benefits at double the price.

Thanks all!
Old 08-23-12, 11:12 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
For you speedplay fans, I bought a set of these back in Feb - https://keeponkovers.com/Product.html

yeah, they protect the cleat, which is nice but they give you a nice stable and grippy platform when you put a foot down at the stoplight, or walk around a bit on roads. $18 seems to be expensive to protect a $39 cleat, but they work great, and you never have to think about them.

I haven't tried the shoo goo approach.
Old 08-23-12, 11:59 AM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only double sided road pedals that I know of are Crank Brothers, which I think is really a MTB pedal, Speedplay and Beebops. If you were going to change out your shoes, I would say look at Shimano SPDs but you really need MTB shoes for them. .
There are adapters for road shoes for SPD - makes the road shoe almost as walkable as a mountain shoe. I use it to have the same pedal system on multiple bikes.
Old 08-23-12, 12:44 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lungdoc
There are adapters for road shoes for SPD - makes the road shoe almost as walkable as a mountain shoe. I use it to have the same pedal system on multiple bikes.
This looks like a good option. I didn't know these were available.
Old 08-23-12, 02:32 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A nice thing about SPD's is also the variety of shoes and pedals available. You can get sandals and shoes that don't look at all like bike shoes. You can get pedals of almost any type including those with a platform on the other side and ones like these designed especially for road bikes. Also the standard for spinning bikes for those who want to do that in the off season. I am certainly not claiming them to be superior to other systems (I prefer to my prior old-school Look pedals) but the SPD system is extremely versatile. If you only race or train and don't do any type of touring/shopping/commuting etc. those advantages are obviously less important.
Old 08-23-12, 02:44 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That adapter gives a platform for the road shoe so that the shoe isn't floating in the air when using a SPD.

It would not really make the road shoes any more walkable because you would still be on a big cleat with negative incline to your heel. I would just wear mountain shoes if you want SPDs on a road bike.

And I say that from personal experience, having tried eggbeaters and their road shoe adapter. It sucked. Road pedals and cleats for road shoes, and MTB shoes and pedals for any significant walking.
Old 08-23-12, 06:32 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The adapter has two "pontoons" than are on either side of the cleat with a rubberized tread material, so the hard metal cleat isn't hitting the ground. This is MUCH easier to walk on than a large bare plastic cleat. It is still a bit "toes up" of course and isn't a shoe to walk in for long, but is way less slippery than the same shoes were with Look cleats. Not as good as MTB shoes for walking but still better than many/most cleats and nice for versatility if you have a couple of different bikes and pairs of shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.