Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Iphone Bike mount recommendations?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 06:42 PM
Lindaosm

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good bike mount for my IPhone 4s. I've been trying to use my "Map my Ride" and keeping my phone in my case on the back of my bike but that's pretty cumbersome. My phone is in an case (Otter Box) so it needs to be something that can hold that case as I don't want to have to take it out just to put it on the bike. Would love to hear what others are using. I've done some research and see one called HandleIT that looks promising.
https://www.scosche.com/handleit-bike...mobile-devices
Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-13-13, 07:07 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I'm looking for a cellphone case myself. A friend recommended this. I took a look at it at an LBS this afternoon. Looks pretty good.

https://decide2ride.com/product_info....roducts_id=703

I would need the "max" version as my phone (Nexus 4) wouldn't fit in this regular one.

[EDIT] I see that you want the case to be able to hold your iPhone in an OtterBox case. Then you will probably need the max version.

https://decide2ride.com/product_info....roducts_id=705

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-13-13, 07:20 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. After trying the Otterbox I gave up on it; the thing is clunky and very ill fitting. I settled on a "SmartPhone Holder" from deltacycles.com. Their website is under construction but you can see them on facebook https://www.facebook.com/delta.cycle.co. There's actually an iPhone 5 on the top of the page.

You can mount it on the handlebar or the stem; they have two mounting bases. The Connection at the bottom is a USB ANT+ sensor receiver. The top of the unit extends to fit any sized phone into it. I bought it at our local REI shop. It's bulletproof and rock steady. The program is iPBike.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 09-15-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-14-13, 12:43 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info...off to check them out.
Old 09-14-13, 03:17 PM
DJMIKEY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I use with my otterbox defender https://usa.breffo.com/collections/spiderpodium
Old 09-14-13, 03:47 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. After trying the Otterbox I gave up on it; the thing is clunky and very ill fitting. I settled on a "SmartPhone Holder" from deltacycles.com. Their website is under construction but you can see them on facebook https://www.facebook.com/delta.cycle.co. There's actually an iPhone 5 on the top of the page.

You can mount it on the handlebar or the stem; they have two mounting bases. The Connection at the bottom is a USB ANT+ sensor receiver. The top of the unit extends to fit any sized phone into it. I bought it at our local Performance Bicycles shop. It's bulletproof and rock steady. The program is iPBike.

Rich
Because that's not distracting/bulky/ugly at all .

if you're wanting to bring your phone along for gps mapping with strava/MMR/rideWithGPS/ ect.. just throw it in your middle back pocket. I used to put mine in a plastic bag, but for the last year I haven't even done that. Just throw it in, you'll upgrade long before sweat could kill your phone. I bought a heart rate monitor, and just leave the watch strapped to the handlebar ( https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_529252_-1___ ) It's really the only important thing, as speed, distance, ect.. are all a function of your heart rate. Then you can go back and look at the route on the cell phone/pc later.
Old 09-14-13, 07:37 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Linda, sorry I'm late replying. I've been using this for my iPhone 4S for about 5-6 months. Love it. I use the handlebar mount but I have it on my stem. The protective cover is great if I get caught in the rain.
https://www.topeak.com/products/bags/ridecase_ip4_4s_bk2

If you want pics of it on the bike or more details let me know.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-14-13, 11:52 PM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KBentley57
Because that's not distracting/bulky/ugly at all .

if you're wanting to bring your phone along for gps mapping with strava/MMR/rideWithGPS/ ect.. just throw it in your middle back pocket. I used to put mine in a plastic bag, but for the last year I haven't even done that. Just throw it in, you'll upgrade long before sweat could kill your phone. I bought a heart rate monitor, and just leave the watch strapped to the handlebar ( https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_529252_-1___ ) It's really the only important thing, as speed, distance, ect.. are all a function of your heart rate. Then you can go back and look at the route on the cell phone/pc later.
This is also sold under Axiom and I started out using it. The numbers are difficult to read because of their size and poor contrast between black letters and dull grey/brown background. Sweat killing phone? As for ugly.....what other people think it looks like may be important to younger, manly men. I just started biking two months ago and the cadence, speed and distance are important to me right now. The incline helps me pick a gear. The application iPBike permits several screens along with the GPS-based map. Whatever you find helpful, use it.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 09-15-13 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-15-13, 12:16 PM
Lindaosm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJMIKEY
This is what I use with my otterbox defender https://usa.breffo.com/collections/spiderpodium
I'm really curious about this one. When I bring it up it looks like just straps of some type. My problem is I do use the Otter Box Defender, which yes, some consider bulky and cumbersome but I like it since I'm a clutz! Looks like DJMiKEY is using this with his Otterbox Defender. I like the one that RonH posted but it says you would have to "remove any protective film or case". As someone else mentioned, my main goal is to use it for tracking my miles, cadence, calories burned etc. I don't really care about the video stuff but that would be nice when we do different trails. Thanks again Ya'll. Still continuing to look and loving my new (to me) "Map My Ride" ap.
Old 09-15-13, 12:54 PM
DJMIKEY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its different than straps, its hard to explain lol and I cant get a picture of my phone on the bike just yet, when I ride with my neighbors tomorrow I will get them to take a picture and send it to me so I can post and show you what it looks like mounted.
Old 09-15-13, 05:12 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lindaosm
I like the one that RonH posted but it says you would have to "remove any protective film or case".
I remove my phone from my every day protective case when I'm ready to mount my phone on the bike. I slide it out and immediately pop it into the Topeak case. Its very small and not thick/bulky like many phone holders. Then it slides onto the handlebar/stem mount and you're ready to go. It stays in that case until I get back to the car. Then I slide it off the mount and pop it out of the holder and slide the phone into the protective case I use every day.

If you don't buy a phone holder before the Rails to Trails ride on Oct 6 you can see it in action then. I'll be there.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-16-13, 03:52 PM
Rover88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a mount for an iPhone 5 in an Otterbox case that has worked pretty well. The brand is slipgrip and you can pick one up on eBay. I've been almost 1,000 miles on mine and have only dropped the phone once when traveling across a rumble strip.
Old 09-23-13, 04:38 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Otterbox Armor series is weather resistant but I'm not sure how they mount to bicycles. I've thought for awhile that an otterbox armor with a RAM mount would be a great combination if a little large&heavy. (Motorcyclists often use RAM mounts and they're pretty universal in their ability to hold any device.)

I was going to use Delta mounts but I read a few reviews prior to purchase in which the elastic bands weakened and the phones didn't stay in during a ride.

I've switched to using Ibera mounts which I think are the best that I've found so far. They have a locking mount that really seems like it would be difficult for it to come apart plus you can get them to mount on the stem (it actually replaces the top cap) or the handlebars. (The handlebar mounts can give you an optional bottle cage or handlebar extension.)

I think this is the 5th bike mount I've had for a phone and it's my favorite by far right now.
Old 09-23-13, 04:54 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lifebox makes a bombproof product but, you'd have to ditch the otter.
Old 09-23-13, 09:15 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my Quad Lock, but again, you'd have to abandon the otter box. I've used it in rainy conditions, and it protects the phone. I have 3 mounts, one for each bike, and I use Map My ride as well.
Old 10-25-13, 06:52 PM
Askibum02
Super Clyde

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1, Niner ROS 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a stem with a little more rise on my road bike. Has anyone used a stem mount like the Quad Lock with, say, a 17 degree road stem?