Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling city in USA?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best cycling city in USA?

Old 12-02-19, 08:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
I can only speak for where I've lived.

San Jose, CA = great weather & terrain variety & cycling environment
Santa Cruz, CA = all the above + Monterey Bay coastal rides

West St Louis county, MO = nice hills, great low traffic back roads, hot summers

East of Seattle, WA = great variety of terrain, cycling community, relatively moderate weather.

Honorable mention to Grand Junction, CO (as I have visited often) = great everything, except winter months
Old 12-02-19, 08:31 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
NYC. I can do a 50 mile bike ride and never leave Brooklyn and I'm on dedicated trails about 60% of the way and bike lanes almost all of the rest. It isn't paradise here but don't discount how much cycling infrastructure there is. Winter isn't great here but that's about the only time I don't ride. I visited Seattle a few years back thinking it would be a cycling paradise but I didn't think so. I had lived there for a number of years back in the '80s and thought it would have improved a lot more than it did. I was in San Francisco riding a few weeks back and liked it there, but in-city riding has a major problem, the hills. I really enjoyed my day there on a road bike though, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin county. Even in town, on Embarcadero and Market.

I rode in Copenhagen a few summers ago and I'm itching to get back. It really is a cycling paradise there. Even my 3 kids, college age at the time, were happy to use bikes to get around, it was just the thing to do to fit in with everyone else.
Old 12-02-19, 08:40 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
NYC. I can do a 50 mile bike ride and never leave Brooklyn and I'm on dedicated trails about 60% of the way and bike lanes almost all of the rest. It isn't paradise here but don't discount how much cycling infrastructure there is. Winter isn't great here but that's about the only time I don't ride. I visited Seattle a few years back thinking it would be a cycling paradise but I didn't think so. I had lived there for a number of years back in the '80s and thought it would have improved a lot more than it did. I was in San Francisco riding a few weeks back and liked it there, but in-city riding has a major problem, the hills. I really enjoyed my day there on a road bike though, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and Marin county. Even in town, on Embarcadero and Market.

I rode in Copenhagen a few summers ago and I'm itching to get back. It really is a cycling paradise there. Even my 3 kids, college age at the time, were happy to use bikes to get around, it was just the thing to do to fit in with everyone else.
So, is Brooklyn the bike-friendliest borough these days? I lived in Manhattan long time ago and it (Manhattan) was awful then.
Old 12-02-19, 08:46 PM
hefeweizen

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
The Best Bike Cities in https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a2...e-cities-2018/ America
Old 12-02-19, 09:48 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
So, is Brooklyn the bike-friendliest borough these days? I lived in Manhattan long time ago and it (Manhattan) was awful then.
Probably. Manhattan isn't too bad though. Between the west side greenway and the separated bike lanes on 1st/2nd, 8th/9th, and a few others, there are enough options, plus Central Park of course. Queens is probably the worst. The Bronx is mostly just devoid of riders although I go there all the time, and I never go to SI and I have no idea what it is like to ride there.
Old 12-02-19, 09:52 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I could easily brag about my own backyard; mountain roads, ocean vistas, open rural roads, respectful (for the most part) drivers. But I don’t want a bunch of outsiders coming over and ruining a good thing.

Stay out of my backyard!
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 12-02-19, 10:39 PM
rdrsonthstrm

Bikes: Argon18 Nitrogen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kernville, CA. It can get a little cold in Jan.-Feb. but it's usually sunny and reasonably warm. You've got to like hills though!
Old 12-02-19, 11:16 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
The one you live in. Unless it's a town.
Old 12-02-19, 11:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm surprised how many people think of winter as a con. If you live somewhere with real winters, you should find a snow sport you love. You'll come back stronger and with a renewed passion when dryland season returns.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-03-19, 05:31 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm surprised how many people think of winter as a con. If you live somewhere with real winters, you should find a snow sport you love. You'll come back stronger and with a renewed passion when dryland season returns.
I used to ski at an area whose slogan was:

" Ski Madonna Mountain- Where we make fun of Winter!".

I still think it's a great pitch.

Much better than the sour " I hate winter" and "the sun never shines in winter" types.

Last edited by chainwhip; 12-04-19 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 12-03-19, 08:09 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
It takes me 2-3 hours to drive to mountains if I want to do snow sports. I can have the good bits of winter (skiing) without the bad parts (slushy, gritted roads, sub-zero temps etc).

If I’d had the time today, we had beautiful weather for riding.

If I had a complaint about the weather here, it’d be that it never gets cold enough to justify buying a Castelli Gabba, or similar cold weather gear.
Old 12-03-19, 08:28 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts

Last edited by Cyclist753; 01-11-20 at 08:54 AM.
Likes For Cyclist753:
Old 12-04-19, 08:14 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rdrsonthstrm
Kernville, CA. It can get a little cold in Jan.-Feb. but it's usually sunny and reasonably warm. You've got to like hills though!
Nice area. That was my favorite area for winter camping when I lived out that way - warm by my standards, cold enough to deter acclimated Southern California folks, and really pretty!
Old 12-04-19, 08:52 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
One of the most often heard complaints on this forum is being harassed by motorists. I would submit then that an important characteristic for good cycling is the attitude of the general public toward cycling.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-04-19, 09:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Minneapolis, Portland, OR and Chicago are the most bikeable cities in the U.S. for the second year in a row.

That’s according to updated rankings from Bike Score®, a tool by Redfin company Walk Score® that rates the bikeability of neighborhoods, cities and addresses.
https://www.redfin.com/blog/most-bik...ities-usa-2020
Old 12-04-19, 12:26 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I think that San Diego is surprisingly un-cycling friendly for the amount of riders it has. This includes miles of bike lanes and general road conditions. Within the county, North County is significantly better with easier access to open country roads and climbing.

I will agree that the amount of clubs, events and weather are indeed pretty tough to beat. In regards to the events, the number of USAC sanctioned races has dropped from 5-6 a few years ago to just 1 now. But that problem also extends to SCNCA/NCNCA and the nation at large. USAC needs to do a better job of fostering participation, and we need another lance-like GC rider to garner interest on a bigger scale.

My vote def. goes to Santa Barbara for the record. I spent 10 weeks there interning in college (~2009) and had a hard time staying in the lab enough... Great riding all around and drivers that seemed to be more tolerant towards it. San Diego is quite conservative in comparison, politically and culturally and I've felt generally safer on the road the farther north in the state I've been. College was Humboldt State U, also awesome but just so remote, and rain.
I'll cast another vote for Santa Barbara. I love how you can basically pedal out your front door and within minutes be at the base of a 5,000 foot climb and see virtually no cars up there. Pedaling up Gibraltar and down Painted Cave is one of my all time favorite rides, whereas to get the same ride from my front door here in San Diego, I basically have to drive an hour east to get to Kitchen Creek.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 12-04-19, 01:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Let me understand "road cycling" - you mean riding proper road bike with the intent of racing road races?
​​​​​​Road cycling means cycling on roads.
Old 12-04-19, 01:56 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Road cycling means cycling on roads.
Some people are focused on riding on roads for transportation; some are focused on roads for race training; some ride roads only for leisure; some look for the road least traveled; .... Basically, not everyone sees "road cycling" the same way.

These are all examples of road cycling.

Old 12-04-19, 03:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

I agree. And what do they all have in common? Riding bikes on roads. Which is what road cycling boils down to. 🙂
Old 12-04-19, 03:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

That's my thoughts, but from talking with a variety of people over the years ... not everybody thinks the same way.
Old 12-04-19, 06:48 PM
RupertCornelius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Some people are focused on riding on roads for transportation; some are focused on roads for race training; some ride roads only for leisure; some look for the road least traveled; .... Basically, not everyone sees "road cycling" the same way.
Ya, I was thinking more as an ideal training and/or ideal city for someone who wanted to go do long recreational rides all the time as opposed to bike lanes downtown, but all the responses have been interesting.

Basically I'm tired of riding the same dozen hills and few hundred miles of roads around me and want to fantasize about living somewhere where I can roll out of my house and hit endless scenic mountain roads.
Likes For RupertCornelius:
Old 12-04-19, 07:00 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by RupertCornelius
Ya, I was thinking more as an ideal training and/or ideal city for someone who wanted to go do long recreational rides all the time as opposed to bike lanes downtown, but all the responses have been interesting.

Basically I'm tired of riding the same dozen hills and few hundred miles of roads around me and want to fantasize about living somewhere where I can roll out of my house and hit endless scenic mountain roads.
Maybe think about one of those cycling trips to wherever--Italy, Spain, France, Mallorca...
Old 12-04-19, 07:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,277 Times in 2,940 Posts
If training is your priority, then Boulder becomes an obvious choice.
Old 12-04-19, 09:48 PM
zacster

You'll always be riding the same roads wherever you may live. You need to get away from where you are to explore different roads. In the past 2 years I've done Arcachon, France, Balestrand, Norway, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Milan and most recently San Francisco. All different, all beautiful. And I really kick myself for not riding at least once in Shanghai. It was so bloody hot there that I just couldn't imagine being out on a bike. San Diego, Paris, London and Seattle are on my near future list. And in the more distant future, Tel Aviv, Moscow, Berlin, the Pyrenees, the Dolomites and the wine region of Tuscany. Madrid and Barcelona too.
Old 12-04-19, 11:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If training is your priority, then Boulder becomes an obvious choice.
Or the basement. No traffic or stoplights to interfere with your 20 minute intervals.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.