Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I be worried? Crack(s)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-17-20, 09:01 AM
Locomotief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

Today I had my new old bike upside down. And noticed these two cracks. The one under my saddle I'm not sure about if it's the paint or the connection.

The other one near my back brake is length wise. that probably means they didn't use seamless tubing.

What do guys think?

Old 03-17-20, 09:13 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
That is... problematic. Do NOT continue riding that bike. Do not pass GO and collect $200.
Old 03-17-20, 09:28 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 146 Posts
Time to start frame shopping, that one is done.
Old 03-17-20, 09:48 AM
cleroica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
New frame time!
Old 03-17-20, 09:55 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,580 Times in 1,762 Posts
Bummer! While I wouldn't write it off just yet, not without some further investigation, I'll agree that it doesn't look particularly good.

Old 03-17-20, 10:02 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Clean it and re-silver solder (make sure that a professional does this). My guess is that the frame is pretty special. Were the frame mine, I would do what I just suggested, repaint and keep an eye on it forever. If the crack does show up again, or the stay separates, you will, most likely, not crash but you just might have to walk home.

Question - is the frame something pretty special?
Old 03-17-20, 10:16 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Hmm, I must be the only one without X-ray vision, unable to see if the frame is damaged without removing the paint.
Old 03-17-20, 10:22 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I would definitely make that a "no downhill" rider. Just for flat road riding less than 20mph now.
Old 03-17-20, 10:23 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm, I must be the only one without X-ray vision, unable to see if the frame is damaged without removing the paint.
Yeah, remove the paint in the areas of concern, otherwise you're guessing.
Old 03-17-20, 11:21 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I didn't notice anything wrong with this bike until I was riding it to the store late one night. I thought I had a rear tire flat when the bike started to squirm a bit. I stopped and felt the tire and it was hard. I then thought perhaps my rear rack was looses and I pulled it side to side. that's when I saw this.

I was still able to ride that bike to the store and then back home. After that it was broken up and the frame tossed into the recycling pile.

Cheers
Old 03-17-20, 11:48 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I didn't notice anything wrong with this bike until I was riding it to the store late one night. I thought I had a rear tire flat when the bike started to squirm a bit. I stopped and felt the tire and it was hard. I then thought perhaps my rear rack was looses and I pulled it side to side. that's when I saw this.

I was still able to ride that bike to the store and then back home. After that it was broken up and the frame tossed into the recycling pile.

Cheers
You didn't keep it? Think of all the people you could fool! Hey man, check out my new duál suspension road bi-cycle! Ain't it neat?
Old 03-17-20, 11:55 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
^^^^^ Bend 'em forward a bit, weld 'em onto the seat tube / top-tube, and you've got your own custom Hellenic / triple-triangle design.
Old 03-17-20, 12:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,544 Posts
If that's a frame you like, take to to someone like TiCycles and have a good, solid repair done. Call them. My bet, Dave will tell you it will take one afternoon, he'll do both sides, yo will have to look at more braze (which should have been there from the beginning) and the frame will need a paint job after. Dave told me that when I called with my early '80s TREK which had a crack running through the seatstay cap. He also told me if I looked closely I wold see cracks on the other side too. He was right. TiCycles is far from the only ones who do these repairs but they have done many and for them it is just another repair they know well.

So ask yourself - is this frame worth $600 to you? $400 for the repair, $200 for paint. Better than new. (Stronger. A touch less sexy.)
Old 03-17-20, 12:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,544 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man

Cheers
You tossed it! The downhill bomber. Lower BB for stability and suspension with lots of travel.
Old 03-17-20, 12:27 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Looks like it's probably cracked, but as already pointed out, you'll need to remove the paint to find out for sure.

Seatstays cracking or breaking at the seatcluster junction is one of a handful or relatively common failures seen on traditional steel frames. For reasons I never understood, it was widely believed that this joint has very little stress. As a consequence the area was often underbuilt. IMHO. The uncapped ends of those stays is a perfect example of this.

At any rate it's a relatively easy frame repair if you want to go that route. Obviously the paint will get torched.
Old 03-17-20, 01:07 PM
Locomotief

I will try to explain what I found in my best English... the top of the seat stay tube is crimmed. It's not a separate piece. The part of the tube that's fastened to the frame is slowly getting ripped of.
I hope I'm making sense. This is not easily repaired. I would have to replace the whole seat stay. Even without the other crack that it has length wise.

here you can see the two parts of the crimmed seat stay. And how they are starting to separate.
Old 03-17-20, 01:26 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked 4,822 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Locomotief
I will try to explain what I found in my best English... the top of the seat stay tube is crimmed. It's not a separate piece. The part of the tube that's fastened to the frame is slowly getting ripped of.
I hope I'm making sense. This is not easily repaired. I would have to replace the whole seat stay. Even without the other crack that it has length wise.

here you can see the two parts of the crimmed seat stay. And how they are starting to separate.
JB Weld and some twine, shellac for vintage look.

edit: might cover the serial number, if that matters....
Old 03-17-20, 01:35 PM
Locomotief

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Clean it and re-silver solder (make sure that a professional does this). My guess is that the frame is pretty special. Were the frame mine, I would do what I just suggested, repaint and keep an eye on it forever. If the crack does show up again, or the stay separates, you will, most likely, not crash but you just might have to walk home.

Question - is the frame something pretty special?
I don't think it's a very special frame. I do like it but probably not worth the money to fix it.

Old 03-17-20, 01:51 PM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Are you sure? It looks to me like there is a concave shell that is part of the lug casting into which the crimped seatstay has been brazed. The idea of this design is to give a decent amount of surface area for the braze.

​I don't think any steel has cracked here but either the braze joint has failed and the tube is separating from that shell, or it's just paint. If the joint has failed it can probably be brazed back in fairly easily. You could even attempt it yourself with a MAPP torch and silver "solder" if the alternative is to scrap the frame.

The other possibility is that after brazing the top of the seatstay wasn't quite flush with the shell and they basically smoothed it over with the paint and maybe that's all that's cracked. You will know more if you take some paint off. You could also put a screwdriver into the crack and pry on it a bit. If the SS moves relative to the lug then you have a failure. If it doesn't then you might not have a failure at all!
​​
As for the other crack it may just be in the paint, but you'll find out if you take a bit of the paint off.

Last edited by guy153; 03-17-20 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 02:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts

I should clarify. If the problem is only at the top of the seat stay, that is fixable. There are several ways to go about it.

IF that crack in the middle of the seatstay is in fact a crack, and not just in the paint, then the whole frame is probably toast. Replacing a whole seatstay is a big job, and there's still be the one on the other side to worry about. If it's just a paint crack I think the seatsay ends are worth fixing.
Old 03-17-20, 03:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Before speculating any further, I suggest removing a bit of paint in both areas and see what's what. If it is only a paint problem, it's a trip to the "Gamma" and €10 for a small can of matching paint and Bob's your uncle. I think this frame at least deserves that.

Old 03-17-20, 03:41 PM
Locomotief

It's hard to make a good photo of the crack. But it almost goes around the tube.
Old 03-17-20, 04:09 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

That was quick!

Thank you for these pictures. I am no constructeur, and I'm having a hard time trying to understand what is going on here. It does look like a crack, but why? And why there?

Old 03-17-20, 04:19 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
I was going to say it was just the "crimp" seams, until you showed the under the seat stay pictures.. that is definitely coming away from the seat cluster.
Old 03-17-20, 04:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
the seat stay top is of the "maximum deformation" type. the longitudinal crack under and along and not yet joined indicates a tube that was probably too brittle to begin with. The heat of brazing often anneals this - not this time. This type of construction is fast. Production oriented. The bike let's assume rides well. The options:
Find a substitute frame with as much of the same attributes, size, threading, seatpost diameter and swap things over.
Locate a framebuilder who will replace Both seat stays and bridge. You will end up with a different style of top eye. The design here really needs tooling and a stamping press to create. Not worth it.
The second route implies new paint, the frame repaint and time.
The decider is to what $ extent is the frame really wanted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.