Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Slightest tick/click/pop..when riding, I am going crazy!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Slightest tick/click/pop..when riding, I am going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 05:55 AM
stampz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stampz
I think I am going to pull out what little hair I have left...I think I have found the problem!

Have got the bike on the trubo trainer and stripped everything off one by one, whilst making my wife crouch on the floor listening at each stage.

Would you believe it...I think its the left pedal!!!!! However, it only seems to happen when I tighten the pedal...have undone it a few turns and it seems to be ok.

Each time I have removed, cleaned and greased, I have always done back up tight...seriously I am fuming!

Now to resemble piece by piece and see what happens
I am seriously going to cry...so I was wrong, it is even doing it without the peddle in the left arm, I really can't explain how faint this tick is..the wife things I am mad. However it is there, but it is def not something sounded loose or rattling
Old 04-28-20, 09:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Shoelace could be hitting the crank (not very likely, but have had that happen - hollow frame tubes are extraordinarily good at transferring sound).
I've had the waist drawstring bang on the top tube of my frame, misleading me about the source of the noise! Not that I suspect this is the case here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-28-20, 09:40 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've had the waist drawstring bang on the top tube of my frame,
I've had other things bang on the top tube, but the noise involved came from me.
8-)

Barry
Old 04-28-20, 09:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

If you think it might be the pedal screwed into the crank causing the noise, you could add some plumber's tape onto the threads. And it must be tight. If you ride with it loose, you will ruin the crank.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-28-20, 09:55 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
No one mentioned it so I will ask: have you sufficiently tightened the wheel skewers so the hubs are tightly in the dropouts?
Old 04-28-20, 09:44 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
If it is a pedal issue. take the pedal off and use another one. I would suspect that it might be a loose rivet in the pedal holding the frame on the pedal block. I used to see this with the pedals that screw on pedal frames like the Suntour cyclone pedals. Smiles, MH
Old 04-28-20, 10:42 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
My money is that it is one of your knees. Nope, not kidding. Mine click when saddled and don't when I'm out of the saddle. Place the palm of your hand on one knee when it's making that sound. Feel anything pop? Switch position to top/side/front of knee. Pop? Try the other knee. Hop on a stationery bike and do the same.

This is why I abandoned my road pedals and cleats for mountain bike pedals and cleats. They provide more lateral float and stopped my knees from popping as much.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 04-28-20 at 10:46 PM.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-29-20, 03:40 AM
stampz

Ok...I am getting desperate, with the bike on the trainer I have removed the saddle completely and the handle bars and sat (that hurt) in the seat post space as best I could...still does it! Removed crankset...no difference...I am running out of things to remove...have made a video

I can't post URLs but if you go to youtube and search "most annoying bike click ever" it should be the top result from Steven Stamps

Have checked every cable I can, nothing is catching, clipping, loose...this is insane. I am starting to think it is something inside the frame somewhere that I will NEVER be able to solve
Old 04-29-20, 08:44 AM
stampz

Oh....my.....god...I am so embarrassed....so, got my wife to come in and try...absolute silence...I get back on, click click click.

Out of frustration I stick her old MTB on the trainer and get on click, click, click...

It's my KNEE!! MY....KNEE!...so sorry for wasting peoples time, appreciate everyone trying to help..I am relieved and now even more frustrated!
Likes For stampz:
Old 04-29-20, 08:45 AM
stampz

Originally Posted by drlogik
My money is that it is one of your knees. Nope, not kidding. Mine click when saddled and don't when I'm out of the saddle. Place the palm of your hand on one knee when it's making that sound. Feel anything pop? Switch position to top/side/front of knee. Pop? Try the other knee. Hop on a stationery bike and do the same.

This is why I abandoned my road pedals and cleats for mountain bike pedals and cleats. They provide more lateral float and stopped my knees from popping as much.

-
Give this man a medal!
Old 04-29-20, 09:47 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Knee

Vintage replacement knees are still available.
Shimano used to make a nice XTR one. Try looking on Ebay or Craigslist, but one in nice condition will cost you a bundle.

Or
Your wife could upgrade the entire unit. Maybe for a younger model.

All the best

Barry
​​​​​​​Who also has the odd click and pop
Old 04-29-20, 02:25 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Oh....my.....god...I am so embarrassed....so, got my wife to come in and try...absolute silence...I get back on, click click click.
It's my KNEE!! MY....KNEE!...so sorry for wasting peoples time, appreciate everyone trying to help..I am relieved and now even more frustrated!
Grease the knee. The Phil Wood stuff is pretty good.
Old 04-29-20, 03:20 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Stampz,

In all seriousness, try mountain bike SPD pedals and cleats. They will allow your feet to float more and not be locked into a linear rotation. This has helped my knees considerably.

Another hint, if you lube-up your knees with Phil Wood Tenacious Oil you'll be so annoyed at the gummy feeling you won't even hear your knees.

-
Old 04-30-20, 01:53 AM
justslow

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Oh....my.....god...I am so embarrassed...
No need to be embarrassed. You were logical and thorough and found the problem. Others may find this thread in the future and discover their solution.

Glad you found the issue. Please don't take this wrong, but I followed this thread great interest.
Likes For justslow:
Old 05-01-20, 08:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Embarrassed why? It's far from obvious.

I've had mild knee problems most of my adult life. I've found that cycling MORE helps it. It might be that it generates more lubricant. Others have found the same. But of course, your problem is different than mine. When the pandemic is over, definitely get medical advice.

Old 05-01-20, 08:51 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Seriously...I am going to throw the bike in the river! ;-)

So...I have a Specialized Allez Elite which is giving off the faintest clicl/pop/tick on my left when riding (its very quiet...but to me is unbearable). It's not even as loud as the tick of a watch, but it's deafening to me!

Now, please bear with me, I know I sound like a madman, but I am at a loss...I have taken apart the all the usual culprits...pedals, cleats,l tightened saddle, headset, cleaned everything...swapped the pedals completely, rode a test with different shoes and it is still there...I have checked the internal cabling to ensure it isn't rattling...all good...!

Now the thing is, it doesn't sound like any of these normal sounds you would expect...its no a mechanical click or creak...it is the faintest sound, and seems to occur when the left pedal crosses just about 12 o clock...even so, I have now convinced myself it isn't coming from the pedals...I even tried as I say changing the pedals completely, and have just been out in flip flops and its still there!

To my ear it 100% sounds like it is coming from left handlebar end or near the shifter or break...or "inside" the handlebars...I have removed the end caps and rode, still there, tried with brakes pulled on and off...still there...

You can't "feel" the click...the ride is silky smooth, but it is seriously driving me insane...my ear is very sensitive...I can't even have a watch in a drawer in the bedroom or it will keep me awake!.....this is now ruining my riding :-(

Has ANYONE got ANY ideas...? I beg you... :-)

So...the plot thickens

Just been out for a quick 30miles to try to get to the bottom of it...still no joy...however.

It only happens when I am seated AND holding the handlebars. Let go of the handlebars..stops..stand and pedal...stops. I stopped a couple of times and tweaked the saddle position, I even stopped and undid all the bolts and loosened and retightened the handlebars. No joy :-(

I appreciate everyones comments, but I really dont think it is anything rubbing, or BB or derailer, it just isn't that kind of sound. The only thing I can compare it too is that air bubble pop you get when you crack your fingers, but much fainter...this is ridiculous I know!
I realize this has been solved and that you determined it is your knee clicking. But this does lead to a point I wanted to make: The clicking often sounds like it's coming from somewhere different than where it actually is originating.

On my Cannondale Quick CX I had a clicking sound that I was sure was the bottom bracket. Took it apart, checked it out.... definitely not the bottom bracket. Then I was convinced it was something in the steering tube assembly. Took that apart, checked it out... definitely not the steering. Maybe the stem where it meets the handlebars? No. Maybe the front suspension? No.

Maybe the seat post? Now that one showed some promise, since it seemed to go away when I applied a light lube to the post and tightened it again. Additionally, I wouldn't hear it when I was standing up, only when seated. But then it came back the next day. Not the seat post, and not the seat since I tried with a spare seat I had around the house too.

I thought I had gone through everything. Tightened the rear rack. Checked the chain again and again. Couldn't get rid of the clicking. In fact, it was getting louder. Was my frame cracked?

About this time I got really sick of the SPD/Platform combination pedals I was using. The purposes to which I put this bike never warranted me using SPD shoes. I only ever used the platforms, and the platforms on the opposing side of the pedals were slippery to most shoes. So I bought a nice pair of MTB platform pedals. Installed them. The click went away.

It was my pedals' spindle assembly that was clicking. After all my diagnostics, it turned out to be the thing that I never considered.