Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any tips for new disc brake user?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-01-20, 06:49 AM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Dear all,
I got my project one Domane. Comes with disc brakes, which is new for me.

In the store, they told me that there is no issues when positioning the bike. In other words, wont cause issues with the hydraulic fluid. However, many people have told me that bikes with hydraulic disc brakes should not be placed up side down.

Also, any other issues I need to be watching for? For example, leaks of the fluid?
Likes For dvai:
Old 05-01-20, 07:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
You're not supposed to invert it. There is air in the reservoirs in the levers; if you invert the bike, air bubbles may work their way on to the other side of the cylinder. You don't want bubbles between the calipers and the cylinder because it can give you squishy or downright unresponsive braking. That said, you don't need to be hyper vigilant about it - if the levers feel mushy, flick the them rapidly for 10 seconds and then give them another good squeeze; they should firm up.

Pay attention to the braking early on - the brake pads need to bed in to the rotors, and the braking may not be great for the first few rides. In my experience, metallic pads are far worse out of the box; resin pads are pretty good when new, but will still improve a bit.

Leaking fluid? Shouldn't happen unless it was a piss poor install job. I wouldn't think about it unless you notice the brakes performing really poorly.

Despite the parroted warnings frequently found online, hydraulic discs are very, very low maintenance. Learning how to change your pads, center your calipers and flicking your levers as needed will take care of 98% of the issues that you're likely to encounter in the next few years.
Old 05-01-20, 07:10 AM
WhyFi

Oh, if you take your wheels off, keep the orange spacer pads handy - you don't want to actuate the levers when there's nothing between the pads or you might have to scramble to find something thin enough to wedge the pads/pistons apart.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-01-20, 08:14 AM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ThNK YOU SO MUCH!
This is very helpful.

How about positioning the bike horizontally?
Can be tough to have the bike always upright in real life.

Also, should I have received the spacer? I did not.
Old 05-01-20, 08:24 AM
WhyFi

Vertically? If you hang it by the front wheel/the hoods are up, I would think that it would be fine.

This is what you're looking for, one for each wheel, obv -

Old 05-01-20, 08:31 AM
WhyFi

Oh - spacers and bleed blocks come with all of the Shimano hydro sets. If the shop didn't include them, I would ask for them - they probably have a bunch in boxes. If not, they'll have some for you the next time they build up a disc bike. Another thing that was included with my Ultegra kit was a yellow blocking bit that slides under the levers - they keep both the brakes and the shift levers from being actuated. I hadn't seen them before, and I haven't used them, but they seem like they'd be handy for transportation.
Old 05-01-20, 08:45 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3332 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
I got my project one Domane. Comes with disc brakes, which is new for me.
Congrats!

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Pay attention to the braking early on - the brake pads need to bed in to the rotors, and the braking may not be great for the first few rides. In my experience, metallic pads are far worse out of the box; resin pads are pretty good when new, but will still improve a bit.
I'll add that something you can do to help bed the pads is just run up and down the street, get going pretty quick, and do some max braking efforts. Maybe do this a half-dozen times or until braking improves. It should help accelerate the bedding process. It will also give you a good idea of your available braking performance and how it will feel.

I also experience (on my MTB at least) with resin pads, occasionally they will glaze over and I have to remove the pads and knock off the glaze with some ~200 grit sandpaper. I know I need to do this when the brakes get both ineffective and very noisy. You may never experience this, but just FYI.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 05-01-20, 10:50 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
People worry about this stuff way to much. Hanging it upside down, sideways, vertical whatever it doesn't hurt anything. At worst you have to pull the lever a few times to get them to feel right again.
Bedding in happens whether you do anything special or just ride the bike. Yes it is better to do it but your brakes should work great even brand spanking new. If they feel like crap bedding them in isn't going to magically make them awesome, something is wrong.
Likes For Canker:
Old 05-01-20, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Canker
People worry about this stuff way to much. Hanging it upside down, sideways, vertical whatever it doesn't hurt anything. At worst you have to pull the lever a few times to get them to feel right again.
Bedding in happens whether you do anything special or just ride the bike. Yes it is better to do it but your brakes should work great even brand spanking new. If they feel like crap bedding them in isn't going to magically make them awesome, something is wrong.
If you think that people here are worrying about this stuff way too much, you're misreading the room. That said, you're wrong about both your worst case scenario and bed-in.

Worst case scenario is that a bubble works down the line and behind a bend that acts as a trap in normal orientation, particularly with the rear brake. Lever pulls alone don't always remedy this and you often need to resort to orienting the bike so that the brake line has a constant upwards slope. After that, you can commence with lever flicking and brake line tapping to work the bubbles back up. When you're trying to get out of the door for a group ride, this isn't something that you'd want to dick with.

And metallic pads on brand new rotors suck. Like, worse than rim brakes. They could get you in to trouble if you don't account for the increased braking distance and could be disconcerting for someone new to hydro brakes that's expecting them to be world-beaters.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-01-20, 05:41 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
My new bike has hydraulic discs and I'm also new to discs. I wasn't warned about inverting the bike. If that's a problem I'm screwed. I invert to do anything - change tubes, lube chain, replace components, adjust components, etc. I mean how are you supposed to change tubes in the wild without inverting the bike? Or at home if your like a typical city dweller and don't have space for a dedicated bike rack?
Old 05-01-20, 05:46 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Vertically? If you hang it by the front wheel/the hoods are up, I would think that it would be fine.

This is what you're looking for, one for each wheel, obv -

Keep one with you on rides in case you get a flat.
Old 05-01-20, 05:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,565 Times in 2,332 Posts
if I take a wheel off for a procedure, when I put the wheel back on I compress the caliper before tightening the skewer. this centers the wheel
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-01-20, 07:54 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I hope you love your Project One as much I do mine. I've really enjoyed riding it since I picked it up the first part of Feb.

For the most part I almost always use the brake spacer except the time I didn't. And inadvertently compressed the brake lever
while the wheel was off.

Found an 1 ½" putty knife worked great for spreading the pads back out.

Good idea about carrying one with you in case of a flat. I've got extras and will through one in my flat kit bag.
Old 05-01-20, 08:25 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
I hope you love your Project One as much I do mine. I've really enjoyed riding it since I picked it up the first part of Feb.

For the most part I almost always use the brake spacer except the time I didn't. And inadvertently compressed the brake lever
while the wheel was off.

Found an 1 ½" putty knife worked great for spreading the pads back out.

Good idea about carrying one with you in case of a flat. I've got extras and will through one in my flat kit bag.
Can you explain to a disc brake noob? I flatted on my 3rd ride. Changed the flat as I normally do on my rim brake bikes and it seemed to work... is this wrong?
Old 05-01-20, 08:44 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Inverting the bike for repairs and changing a flat shouldn't be an issue. Hanging it upside down from a ceiling may be. Only way to find out is to try.
Bedding in pads. Yes, to the repetitive hard braking thing. But no to stopping completely when you do it, just come nearly to a standstill, so heat from the rotor doesn't soak into the pads. Also good practice when you are stopping from high speed to a complete stop, don't hold the bike when you are stopped with the front brake, use the back. I learnt the hard way, I've burnt pads on my touring bike, cooked the paint off 'em and made them like teflon.
Old 05-02-20, 12:54 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Bedding in pads. Yes, to the repetitive hard braking thing. But no to stopping completely when you do it, just come nearly to a standstill, so heat from the rotor doesn't soak into the pads.
Yep, was gonna add this is what I've read. The reasoning had something to do with the rotor getting pad material evenly embedded in it, which coming to a complete stop during the bedding-in process could potentially mess with.
Old 05-02-20, 08:10 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Can you explain to a disc brake noob? I flatted on my 3rd ride. Changed the flat as I normally do on my rim brake bikes and it seemed to work... is this wrong?
That works fine, as long as the lever doesn't get pulled all the way to the handlebar.
Old 05-02-20, 10:40 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Inverting the bike for repairs and changing a flat shouldn't be an issue. Hanging it upside down from a ceiling may be. Only way to find out is to try.
I think in both cases, he was implying the bike is upside down (I've changed tubes this way on front rim wheels with bike resting sitting on the ground, resting on the saddle and handlebars); unless you're implying it's the time the bike spends inverted (a few minutes for a tube change vs. overnight or days in storage)?
Old 05-02-20, 11:52 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I hang bikes in the shop as storage before and after repair. By hanging I mean I have single hooks on the wall or above me. I hang one wheel by the hook and let the bike dangle.

Hydraulic bikes that I hang this way don't like to be hung with the levers pointed down. Air creeps into the system. Levers up has never caused a problem. Levers down has led me to have to bleed the brakes to fix them. Road and mtb levers.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 05-02-20, 01:36 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I hang bikes in the shop as storage before and after repair. By hanging I mean I have single hooks on the wall or above me. I hang one wheel by the hook and let the bike dangle.

Hydraulic bikes that I hang this way don't like to be hung with the levers pointed down. Air creeps into the system. Levers up has never caused a problem. Levers down has led me to have to bleed the brakes to fix them. Road and mtb levers.
this is my experience as well

Psimet2001 BTW, how’s mom?
Old 05-02-20, 02:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Hmmm... sounds like steep descents could cause braking problems..
Old 05-02-20, 02:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
That works fine, as long as the lever doesn't get pulled all the way to the handlebar.
Just knowing this has been enough for me.
Old 05-02-20, 04:01 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Psimet2001 BTW, how’s mom?
Not well as all. They are ending acute care ready to put her on hospice. We are having her transported back up to Indy so family can come visit. They are saying 4-6 weeks. Life is life. Thank you for asking.

Old 05-02-20, 04:15 PM
noodle soup

Not well as all. They are ending acute care ready to put her on hospice. We are having her transported back up to Indy so family can come visit. They are saying 4-6 weeks. Life is life. Thank you for asking.
I’m sorry.

I was expecting better news.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-02-20, 05:34 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think in both cases, he was implying the bike is upside down (I've changed tubes this way on front rim wheels with bike resting sitting on the ground, resting on the saddle and handlebars); unless you're implying it's the time the bike spends inverted (a few minutes for a tube change vs. overnight or days in storage)?
yep, it's the time thing. Longer it's upside down the further bubbles can go, harder to they are to get back out.