Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who'd like to help me pick out some cranks on ebay?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who'd like to help me pick out some cranks on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 05:53 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Is that a "Schwinn approved" front derailleur? Former owner must have used whatever they could to make it operate...

Would Mercier have specified a stem shifter?

What are the rims and hubs PJ Steve, just out of curiosity?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 06-03-20, 06:12 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Is that a "Schwinn approved" front derailleur? Former owner must have used whatever they could to make it operate...

Would Mercier have specified a stem shifter?

What are the rims and hubs PJ Steve, just out of curiosity?
Craigslist SF buy, The bike is real Frankenstein but the Schwinn approved is my fault. Had a Suntour 7 on the front when I bought it but I think I did some aggressive shifting because I crunched that son of a ***** into a pretzel (leaning curve I'm a new guy) The Schwinn approved came from my dad's old World Sport from 81' that hadn't been used since 82'

Front rim is old don't know, hub says Maillard. Back wheel is Weinmann lp18 and I tell no fibs that is one squirrelly wheel.
Old 06-03-20, 06:32 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
There is a really nice set of Ofmega cranks in the Classic & Vintage sales section that would look nice on your bike.
Old 06-03-20, 07:23 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Paint Job Steve
On the stronglight 93 the seller says "I can retap the crank arms to English 9/16" pedal threads at no charge."

Smart thing to have done? I'm looking at French thread pedals now and it seems like a big pain in the ass.
It is a pretty simple job to retap cranks to English. It was done all the time when I worked in bike shops and a lot of French bikes were still in use. Then again, there are some troglodytes that can screw up anything.

I probably wouldn't retap a crank that was original equipment on some complete cool bike these days, but for an ebay find it only makes sense.

FWIW a 93 crank will fit a modern JIS taper BB just fine.
Old 06-03-20, 07:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,909 Times in 1,140 Posts
I would wager that a helicoil install would be less than e-bay and be stronger. JMHO, MH
Old 06-03-20, 07:34 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

$80 aint gonna break me think I'm going Stronglight 93. Pedals tho, I apprentice all the help so far bike community. I'm thinking tap it English but what are good pedals? I've been looking for 2 hours and I still don't know.
Old 06-03-20, 08:26 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 409 Posts
Can't go wrong with MKS. There's a bunch of different types, make sure to look for something a bit wider if you've got big feet.
Old 06-03-20, 08:53 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
You'll want the stronglight spindle or bottom bracket to go with the stronglight 93. We don't know what cups you have right now. Maybe you already have the stronglight bottom bracket and this silstar is sitting on it. Who knows.

There are some helpful suggestions but french bikes with french threading and thin french cups can complicate things a bit more than you might want.
Old 06-03-20, 09:31 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

One more question I'm thinking about, what is the $ amount a bike shop is going to charge for swapping out a crankset? Don't mind paying for good labor but don't want to get screwed.
Old 06-04-20, 03:34 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Got the order in for the Stronglight 93 and a retap job. Got these Lyotard pedals also. Anybody have an onion on these? I'm second guessing maybe I should have gone rat traps. Time to cancel if no good.

These were my 2nd pedal choice probably should have been first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyo...EAAOSwDnleTV6U

Thanks again to all for the help,
Old 06-04-20, 06:29 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

I'm feeling like the ugly girl at the prom and nobody likes my pedals. Come on fellas, last draw I take from the well. Are these pedals bunk and what should I have got??? Clock is ticking on ebay I can still cancel.
Old 06-04-20, 07:42 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I've actually been hunting for a "vintage style" crankset lately and, I found these items:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunrace-C...ll&athena=true

https://www.ebay.com/i/264345936149?chn=ps

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainset...170mm/?geoc=US

https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor...riceasc&page=4
Old 06-04-20, 08:15 PM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 61 Posts
I'm feeling like the ugly girl at the prom and nobody likes my pedals. Come on fellas, last draw I take from the well. Are these pedals bunk and what should I have got??? Clock is ticking on ebay I can still cancel.
Those pedals are fine, but not top-of-the-line or anything. If you’re looking to stay with top-end French, look for Maillard 700 (sometimes labeled Atom 700) or Atom 600. Lyotard Berthet platform pedals were popular too. Great looking bike!

Here you go - https://www.ebay.com/itm/atom-600-bi...cAAOSwM1deqE7J

Last edited by SuperLJ; 06-04-20 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 08:28 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Got the order in for the Stronglight 93 and a retap job. Got these Lyotard pedals also. Anybody have an onion on these? I'm second guessing maybe I should have gone rat traps. Time to cancel if no good.

These were my 2nd pedal choice probably should have been first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyo...EAAOSwDnleTV6U

Thanks again to all for the help,

Just FYI, the 93 needs a special Stronglight 23.3mm puller to remove it, in case you didn't know. If you have a shop do the work, make sure they know this.

Those pedals look like a good match to me. I guess those are semi rat trap. Maybe the idea was they could work with regular pedals, or toe clips and cleats, though getting toe clips on there might be a challenge. I remember one of my friends had those pedals on his bike when I was in junior high.

I think the other ones are a small notch up. Both of these were pretty inexpensive BITD to be honest, but the second are nicer because the pedal bodies don't have a big open slot for dirt to get in.

I suggest you overhaul those before using. They are pretty easy to repack. Sometimes Lytotard pedal cages loosen up a little. You can solve that by lightly peening the rivets. I hope they don't turn out to have French threads after your crank got re-tapped for 9/16"... That would be annoying.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-04-20 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 09:11 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Thanks guys. I tell you there are a few forums I go on just to make dick and fart jokes but if I ever got banned from this one I'd move to another apartment just for the new ip address so I could make another account. This place is great..
Old 06-05-20, 08:50 AM
CroManganMan

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks guys. I tell you there are a few forums I go on just to make dick and fart jokes but if I ever got banned from this one I'd move to another apartment just for the new ip address so I could make another account. This place is great..
Greatest compliment ever!
The knowledge and helpfulness of the people here is amazing. I sometimes feel bad that I get help here because I can't offer much help in return. The knowledge here just blows away what little I know.
​​​​
Likes For CroManganMan:
Old 06-06-20, 07:58 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

^ Feel the same. We're freeloading.

Alright so I'm a fickle little ***** and I cancelled the original pedals and got these.

Pretty sure these are the same pedals and with the reflectors off they look kinda bad ass.

I'm pretty happy on the pedal front and now I'm thinking about that dumb seat I've got it looks terrible. Swear on a bible, if you guys give me a couple ebay saddle suggestions I'll leave you alone for 6 months. Please.
Likes For Paint Job Steve:
Old 06-06-20, 12:49 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Just make for double sure those Lyotards are 9/16 thread since you are rethreading the cranks to 9/16, as for good saddle of course Ideal 80 would be perfect, but not cheap. Norex is a cheaper Ideal offshoot, but not as nice. If not sticking with French made, then any classic Brooks you can find (B17, B15, Professional) would do nicely,,,

Last edited by evwxxx; 06-06-20 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 06-06-20, 01:42 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

^ Pedal threads are good to go. I see there's a lot of Brooks b17 options on ebay I think that is my ticket. Big thanks.
Old 06-09-20, 09:18 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

I rolled snake eyes on my ebay upgrades. The pedals look like they'd be a good fit for a French 4th grader with a size 5 shoe and I was holding up the Stonglight crank to the old Silstar one and all of a sudden all the chainring talk in here snapped into focus. I wouldn't be breezing up too many hills with 52/44 so that thing is going back. Buyer pays return shipping live and learn.
Old 06-09-20, 09:40 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Originally Posted by branko_76
Here's one option, it's a SR (Sakae) forged crankset that has a 86 BCD (bolt-circle-diameter).

Forged means that the crank-arm and spider are one piece. Your current crank is swaged, meaning the arm and spider are two pieces pressed together, this is okay but not as strong as forged.

The BCD of this crank is rather small allowing for smaller inner chainrings. This is important if you will be riding longer distances on hilly roads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SR-...0AAOSwExVezbQn

I'm taking a hard look at this guy. Same cranks here with dustcaps and returns can I get a ruling???
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Sakae-Ri...gAAOSwbbNey3fR
Old 06-09-20, 09:45 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I'm taking a hard look at this guy. Same cranks here with dustcaps and returns can I get a ruling???
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Sakae-Ri...gAAOSwbbNey3fR
Sorry, that’s not the same crank as the 86 bcd Apex.
Old 06-09-20, 09:46 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Which one would you get???
Old 06-09-20, 09:56 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I rolled snake eyes on my ebay upgrades. The pedals look like they'd be a good fit for a French 4th grader with a size 5 shoe and I was holding up the Stonglight crank to the old Silstar one and all of a sudden all the chainring talk in here snapped into focus. I wouldn't be breezing up too many hills with 52/44 so that thing is going back. Buyer pays return shipping live and learn.
So, back to square one? And don't worry about asking lots of questions. It's a big reason this forum exists. We pretty much just buy and sell vintage stuff, show off vintage stuff or ask and answer questions about vintage stuff.

A couple things that I think got lost in the shuffle that you should pay attention to:

1. Different cranksets require different bottom bracket spindle lengths so that you get a good chainline and so the small ring doesn't rub against the chainstay. You can generally find the correct length by googling "[bottom bracket name] bottom bracket spindle length", e.g. "Stronglight 93 bottom bracket spindle length." You may need to buy a new spindle that works with your bottom bracket or a whole new bottom bracket.

2. Your bottom bracket threading is most likely French. If you end up needing to purchase a whole new bottom bracket because you can't find the right spindle length or you just want to modernize and go with a catridge style BB then you will need to buy a special bottom bracket. Velo Orange and a handful of other companies sell new cartridge French bottom brackets in various spindle lengths: https://velo-orange.com/products/gra...e-alloy-cups-1
Old 06-09-20, 10:08 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Originally Posted by tricky
So, back to square one? And don't worry about asking lots of questions. It's a big reason this forum exists. We pretty much just buy and sell vintage stuff, show off vintage stuff or ask and answer questions about vintage stuff.

A couple things that I think got lost in the shuffle that you should pay attention to:

1. Different cranksets require different bottom bracket spindle lengths so that you get a good chainline and so the small ring doesn't rub against the chainstay. You can generally find the correct length by googling "[bottom bracket name] bottom bracket spindle length", e.g. "Stronglight 93 bottom bracket spindle length." You may need to buy a new spindle that works with your bottom bracket or a whole new bottom bracket.

2. Your bottom bracket threading is most likely French. If you end up needing to purchase a whole new bottom bracket because you can't find the right spindle length or you just want to modernize and go with a catridge style BB then you will need to buy a special bottom bracket. Velo Orange and a handful of other companies sell new cartridge French bottom brackets in various spindle lengths: https://velo-orange.com/products/gra...e-alloy-cups-1
Good info, I appreciate. I just want a crank that is going to fit the bottom bracket I have on there now and I'm thinking going Japanese is a safe bet to match the Silstar fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.